Same bullshit, different decade: What members of the gay rights movement could learn from history

So equal rights should only be granted to a group of American citizens after they've suffered a certain level of violations? Is that what you are asserting?

We are asking a valid question, gays keep trying to equate their struggle to the Black's civil rights struggle which seems a stretch and frankly pisses off many Blacks.
Which part would be a stretch?

Discrimination, second class citizenship, assault, murder?

Are you seriously making an argument that gays have endured similar civil rights violations on the scale and severity that blacks have? I think that's what blacks find offensive.

Look Chumlee lots of people suffer some level of discrimination, short people, fat people, ugly people, the list is endless gays don't have a claim on that level of discrimination. Gays trying to equate their story of discrimination to that blacks have endured IS offensive.
When I went to school 40 years ago, I saw more kids beat up for being gay than being black
I saw gays hunted down in the military and thrown in the stockade. I saw people openly taunt gays where they wouldn't taunt someone for being black

Have gays endured the same discrimination as blacks? No
Have they been discriminated against? Hell yes

Boo hoo so has half the planet grow a pair.

So equal rights should only be granted to a group of American citizens after they've suffered a certain level of violations? Is that what you are asserting?

We are asking a valid question, gays keep trying to equate their struggle to the Black's civil rights struggle which seems a stretch and frankly pisses off many Blacks.
Which part would be a stretch?

Discrimination, second class citizenship, assault, murder?

Are you seriously making an argument that gays have endured similar civil rights violations on the scale and severity that blacks have? I think that's what blacks find offensive.

Look Chumlee lots of people suffer some level of discrimination, short people, fat people, ugly people, the list is endless gays don't have a claim on that level of discrimination. Gays trying to equate their story of discrimination to that blacks have endured IS offensive.
When I went to school 40 years ago, I saw more kids beat up for being gay than being black
I saw gays hunted down in the military and thrown in the stockade. I saw people openly taunt gays where they wouldn't taunt someone for being black

Have gays endured the same discrimination as blacks? No
Have they been discriminated against? Hell yes

Boo hoo so has half the planet grow a pair.
Is that the best you can bring to the thread?

Sad that you have such a poor understanding of history

We heard the same arguments fifty years ago as we hear today......States rights, you are forcing me to accept people against my will, I have a right to serve who I please, the bible supports me

Gays have been discriminated against for centuries, they have been cast to the shadows and given second class status

It is a civil rights issue

tolerance and acceptance of gays as equal citizens is a civil rights issue. Calling a gay union a marriage is a cultural or societal issue, it has nothing to do with rights or equality.

Society as a whole should decide what words are used to describe a legal gay union, not the minority gay community.

We have representative government in this country.

Yes, we do, so lets let our "representatives" vote. Lets process a constitutional amendment making gay marriage legal in all states, then see if you can get 38 states to ratify it.

A matter like this should not be decided by 9 unelected old farts in black robes.

A majority of the states already ratified the 14th Amendment so there is no need for another amendment.

please quote the parts of the 14th where the words "gay marriage" are used.
The part that says "all people"

(sarcasm)
Actually there are several 'rights' movements going on now--with the largest one being the LGBT civil rights movement.

Let us take a look at another one--the 'angry' atheist civil rights movement.

Unlike LGBT, the angry atheists ARE trying to convert you!!
Unlike LGBT, the A.A do not care if you accept their lifestyle!!
and unlike LGBT, the A.A. would fight you tooth and nail in every court room and denounce you as ignorant fools to the world!!

Hence, the LGBT comes across as benign and harmless while A.A comes off as angry drunks.

Knowing now that interracial marriage was going to be used to justify perversion we shouldn't have allowed interracial marriage when we did. It was a decision that belonged to a more mature intelligent people.
Shouldn't have ALLOWED interracial marriage? You people have a big problem with telling others how they should live their lives. Here's an idea: mind your own business, you fucking fascist.

King held the philosophy akin to the old folk hymn, "keep your eyes on the prize." To be frank, that prize wasn't putting some unwitting business owner out on the street for being racist or intolerant. .

I guess you've never heard of the Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1955-56.

Has TK been back to tell us why MLK was happy to try to destroy the bus business in Montgomery to advance his cause,

given that TK thinks it's reprehensible that gays would try to harm a cake baker for being a bigot?

Sad that you have such a poor understanding of history

We heard the same arguments fifty years ago as we hear today......States rights, you are forcing me to accept people against my will, I have a right to serve who I please, the bible supports me

Gays have been discriminated against for centuries, they have been cast to the shadows and given second class status

It is a civil rights issue

tolerance and acceptance of gays as equal citizens is a civil rights issue. Calling a gay union a marriage is a cultural or societal issue, it has nothing to do with rights or equality.

Society as a whole should decide what words are used to describe a legal gay union, not the minority gay community.

We have representative government in this country.

Yes, we do, so lets let our "representatives" vote. Lets process a constitutional amendment making gay marriage legal in all states, then see if you can get 38 states to ratify it.

A matter like this should not be decided by 9 unelected old farts in black robes.

A majority of the states already ratified the 14th Amendment so there is no need for another amendment.

please quote the parts of the 14th where the words "gay marriage" are used.

Equal protection under the law. Civil marriage is regulated BY LAW, and because it is, gays are entitled to equal protection under those laws.

'Gay marriage' need not be mentioned.

'Gay' is not mentioned in the 2nd amendment. That does not mean that gays have no claim on the right to bear arms.

Nope she wants to huff and puff. A waste of time

You're the one giving third-degree burns with your hot air.

Stay on point. How difficult is it to do that for you? Shepard was killed by a bisexual, he was HIV positive and drugs were involved. Refute it or take your BS and blabber to someone who gives a fuck

If you're too embarrassed and stuck in a rut, unable to be conversant, stop reading my posts. The power to decide for yourself in your hands. Are you too dumb to realize the problem lies with you?

Ignored. you are just trolling and incapable of any semblance of debate
Is that 75% or 76% of the board you have on Ignore now? I guess, it helps you with your reading difficulties to skip thru 75% of the posts with all the "hard' words in them.

What difference does it make? You all have the same talking points. You don't have to read them all to get the gist.

You're the one giving third-degree burns with your hot air.

Stay on point. How difficult is it to do that for you? Shepard was killed by a bisexual, he was HIV positive and drugs were involved. Refute it or take your BS and blabber to someone who gives a fuck

If you're too embarrassed and stuck in a rut, unable to be conversant, stop reading my posts. The power to decide for yourself in your hands. Are you too dumb to realize the problem lies with you?

Ignored. you are just trolling and incapable of any semblance of debate
Is that 75% or 76% of the board you have on Ignore now? I guess, it helps you with your reading difficulties to skip thru 75% of the posts with all the "hard' words in them.

What difference does it make? You all have the same talking points. You don't have to read them all to get the gist.

Are you of the opinion that you don't have the power to say yes or no?

You claiming the gay community has suffered the same hardships as the blacks fighting for civil rights?
You claiming that the level of hardships is what "earns" civil rights for a group of citizens? That if one has not "suffered as much" as blacks did during their civil rights struggle, it doesn't count?

Obviously the gays are ...since they latched on to the black civil rights movement to make it seem like their plight is worse than it is.
Nonsense.

Gay Americans are entitled to the same Constitutional protections as everyone else, separate and apart from any other class of persons – the right to due process and the right to equal protection of the law, where seeking to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law they're eligible to participate in violates the 14th Amendment.

What constitutional protections do they not have?

You claiming the gay community has suffered the same hardships as the blacks fighting for civil rights?
You claiming that the level of hardships is what "earns" civil rights for a group of citizens? That if one has not "suffered as much" as blacks did during their civil rights struggle, it doesn't count?

Obviously the gays are ...since they latched on to the black civil rights movement to make it seem like their plight is worse than it is.
Nonsense.

Gay Americans are entitled to the same Constitutional protections as everyone else, separate and apart from any other class of persons – the right to due process and the right to equal protection of the law, where seeking to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law they're eligible to participate in violates the 14th Amendment.

The civil right to marry. In 13 states anyway. Their constitutional protection to be treated equally under the law.

Nonsense.

The civil right to marry. In 13 states anyway. Their constitutional protection to be treated equally under the law.

That's it??

Nonsense.

That's it??

Isn't that enough? How many rights and constitutional protections must be stripped before you would warrant it worthy of note or action?

Nonsense.

14th amendment

Nonsense.

A woman does not have the right to marry a woman. Men have that right. That is gender discrimination.

Work on that one awhile until it's fully digested and then I'll feed you another one.

Forum List

Back