SAT scores now optional for admission

This isn't surprising. It all has to do with multiculturalism. As we grow more multicultural the SAT will reflect group disparity. Having an objective standard means that college admissions can't be group-proportional.

We have to sacrifice excellence and standards in order to keep the multicultural dream plausible.

The problem is that reality trumps fiction. It crushes fiction.

The take away is simple - Philly public schools (along with just about every big city school system) are graduating students who are incapable of passing a basic test. Naturally the only solution is more $$$ and lower standards.

Oh, and you're racist!!

:lol:

Why is this bad? Drones aren't always good students.

The Ivy League weighs SATs by geographics, income, and secondary school factors. SATs, like IQ tests, are imperfect. (I scored significantly higher on the Schlossen (sp.?) Verbal, than the Otis Lennon for example.)

I didn't need and SAT in 1979 when entering college. If you have the dough and the motivation, anyone should be allowed...

In an effort to cultivate talented students who don't test well, Temple University says it will become the first national public research university in the Northeast to make standardized test scores optional for admission.

Why stop there? They could extend it to college exams. Make those optional as well and not have them required as a criteria for graduation. This of course all in an effort to cultivate talented students who don't test well.

sarcasm.gif

Why is this bad? Drones aren't always good students.
But we KNOW the dumb ones aren't.

I recall a time when you needed more than just high SAT scores. Now you don't even need that.

I had to have passable SATs, great grades, three DETAILED recommendations from persons not related to me, and completion of two essays, plus an interview.

From the comments section:
As a proud Temple University alum, I do not agree with this decision at all. This is the very reason that community colleges exist. Transfer students from community colleges that apply to four year universities like Temple and Rutgers are already exempt from taking standardized tests such as the SAT. Transfer student applications are judged by a student's GPA at community college and the college credits they earned there, not by SAT scores. Let an individual figure out if they are serious about pursuing a four year academic degree at community college first before attending an actual four year university. You have to learn to crawl before you walk. This looks like another handout to underperforming inner city Philadelphia students, many of these prospective students may attend Temple unprepared. Thus, resulting in no degree earned and student debt incurred. I fail to see how Temple benefits from this other than financially.
This is how I earned my degree. Community College first and then University. I then took cheaper CC Courses to fill in the General Degree requirements.

I spent 16K for a B/S in Computers from Cal Baptist, almost exactly what my Dad spent for his D.D.S. from USC back in 1965.

Forum List

Back