Satanic Temple Wins IRS Rccognition as a Tax Exempt Church

It has been the Christians of some sects who have been pushing to allow organizations that have tax-exempt status as religious organizations to be politically active. As I recall, there even was an event in which a group of their preachers agreed to preach politics from the pulpit on a given Sunday, thus lowering the standard for a tax exemption.

These are the same people who pushed the idea that all a person has to say is "I have a sincerely held belief" to get around and all laws. This phrase is now a magic charm.

These are the same folks who complain that outsiders should not examine their beliefs or tell them how to practice their faith, but then they turn around and do the exact same thing to others.

So now they can't complain when some other organization gets a tax exemption. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

America, my country, richly, richly deserves what is soon coming. I don't say this with any amount of pleasure at all. It's going to be horrible. But we have earned it in spades.

It's depressing to know these scum know they can get away with this and nobody will lift a finger. They'll just wait around for God to do all the work...

Get away with exactly what? Everybody's got their tax exemptions, so what is your problem?

Spare me the innocent act. We all know this is an unseemly political stunt by a bunch of cynical Christian-haters.

We all know this is an unseemly political stunt by a bunch of cynical Christian-haters

As opposed to the usual evangelist politics .....
a9183f54210fe5869eee98bb46776223.jpg

~S~

It has been the Christians of some sects who have been pushing to allow organizations that have tax-exempt status as religious organizations to be politically active. As I recall, there even was an event in which a group of their preachers agreed to preach politics from the pulpit on a given Sunday, thus lowering the standard for a tax exemption.

These are the same people who pushed the idea that all a person has to say is "I have a sincerely held belief" to get around and all laws. This phrase is now a magic charm.

These are the same folks who complain that outsiders should not examine their beliefs or tell them how to practice their faith, but then they turn around and do the exact same thing to others.

So now they can't complain when some other organization gets a tax exemption. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

America, my country, richly, richly deserves what is soon coming. I don't say this with any amount of pleasure at all. It's going to be horrible. But we have earned it in spades.

It's depressing to know these scum know they can get away with this and nobody will lift a finger. They'll just wait around for God to do all the work...

Get away with exactly what? Everybody's got their tax exemptions, so what is your problem?

Spare me the innocent act. We all know this is an unseemly political stunt by a bunch of cynical Christian-haters.

How is granting a tax exemption to a non-Christian organization amount to an attack on any Christian sect?

I must note two things here. (1) Christianity is divided, both here and abroad, into many, many different sects. (2) I have not heard of anything the Satanic Temple has done to interfere with the worship of any Christian sect. The only things that this organization's members have done is to challenge the notion that any religious sect has the right to leave permanent structures on public property, to the exclusion of all others, and challenge the notion that any sect is entitled to exclusive access to public institutions such as schools. I absolutely agree with their actions. What is public space must be kept religiously neutral.

We all know this is an unseemly political stunt by a bunch of cynical Christian-haters

As opposed to the usual evangelist politics .....
a9183f54210fe5869eee98bb46776223.jpg

~S~
The path not taken is usually idealized.

It seems to me that some people believe if only organized religion had never existed everything would be perfect.

This seems to me to be a naive position. Organized religion is effectively a tool. And like all tools it can be used for good and bad. So a complete accounting is in order to objectively determine its true value.

Seeing that organized religion shaped the ideals and values of those who are so righteously indignant, I cant help but wonder how they would have turned out if organized religion had never existed to shape their ideals and values.

The tax exemptions are the problem. The government shouldn't be empowered to hand out special favors to special interests.

The tax exemptions are the problem. The government shouldn't be empowered to hand out special favors to special interests.

Then we need to revoke affirmative action and hate crime legislation ASAP

Why? And what does that have to do with the topic?

"The government shouldn't be empowered to hand out special favors to special interests."

Affirmative action hiring and stiffer penalties for so-called hate crimes against so-called minorities.

Special favors for special interest groups.

Why? And what does that have to do with the topic?

"The government shouldn't be empowered to hand out special favors to special interests."

Affirmative action hiring and stiffer penalties for so-called hate crimes against so-called minorities.

Special favors for special interest groups.

While the reasons for affirmative action, which was severely restricted in the U.S. Supreme Court's 1995 decision in Adarand v. Pena, may be debated, hate-crime laws cover the entire population, not just a specific group.

For example, if a bunch of German-Americans are looking to rob to someone and a Belgian-American walks by and they cry "let's get the Belgian!," it's a hate crime, the underlying crime being robbery, but the victim was selected based on his ethnicity..

Just what horror are we to expect? How have Americans earned it? All in all, I think the 325 million or so of us are pretty good people as a whole. How long have you lived here?

I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War...on the right side, of course. So I have lived here my entire life. And don't you rail all the time about how terrible America is?

Just what horror are we to expect? How have Americans earned it? All in all, I think the 325 million or so of us are pretty good people as a whole. How long have you lived here?

I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War...on the right side, of course. So I have lived here my entire life. And don't you rail all the tjime about how terrible America is?
No, I do not rail about how terrible America is. If you have been here for your entire life, you should know know about our traditions and the rules we all follow to preserve democracy and our rights and freedoms.

The obvious question of this thread is why any religion should get special tax breaks. What part of "Congress shall write no law ..." did the Court get confused about?

They government doesn't have power to write tax laws applicable to religions. Congress shall make no law is pretty clear. Taxes are laws

Update!! The Satanic Temple is in the news again

Satanic Temple Claims Exemption From Supreme Court Ruling On Fetal Remains

Citing religious liberty, The Satanic Temple declares that its members are exempt from a recent Supreme Court ruling upholding an Indiana law requiring the burial or cremation of fetal remains

T
he Satanic Temple (TST), an international religious organization headquartered in Salem, Massachusetts, has declared immunity for its members from the Indiana Law (HEA 1337) requiring the cremation or burial of fetal remains that was allowed to stand by the U.S. Supreme Court. One of The Satanic Temple’s fundamental tenets is the inviolability of one’s body. Members of The Satanic Temple believe that non-viable fetal tissue is part of the woman who carries it, and as such, state impositions of ceremonial requirements dictating its disposal, barring any plausible medical or sanitary concerns, is a violation of TST’s Free Exercise allowing Satanists to contextualize the termination of a pregnancy on their own terms, with deference to their own religious beliefs. As such, TST affirms that this rule violates their religious beliefs and asserts that their members may refuse to adhere.

Update!! The Satanic Temple is in the news again

Satanic Temple Claims Exemption From Supreme Court Ruling On Fetal Remains

Citing religious liberty, The Satanic Temple declares that its members are exempt from a recent Supreme Court ruling upholding an Indiana law requiring the burial or cremation of fetal remains

T
he Satanic Temple (TST), an international religious organization headquartered in Salem, Massachusetts, has declared immunity for its members from the Indiana Law (HEA 1337) requiring the cremation or burial of fetal remains that was allowed to stand by the U.S. Supreme Court. One of The Satanic Temple’s fundamental tenets is the inviolability of one’s body. Members of The Satanic Temple believe that non-viable fetal tissue is part of the woman who carries it, and as such, state impositions of ceremonial requirements dictating its disposal, barring any plausible medical or sanitary concerns, is a violation of TST’s Free Exercise allowing Satanists to contextualize the termination of a pregnancy on their own terms, with deference to their own religious beliefs. As such, TST affirms that this rule violates their religious beliefs and asserts that their members may refuse to adhere.

LOL - I like it. Anything to rub their nose in their smelly hypocrisy.

Forum List

Back