Satanic Temple Wins IRS Rccognition as a Tax Exempt Church

Show me any other "church" that is more interested in politics than faith, and I will call it a scam too.
Fine. Show me ANY church getting tax breaks, and I will call it a scam. So you aren't telling me anything i don't already know.

They absolutely are playing by the rules. Unfortunately, nothing in the rules tests the faith of people making magical horseshit claims.

The rules, that you claim to be supporting, say that CHURCHES get tax breaks.

This group admits that they are not really about worshiping, but about politics. That is not a church, that is a political group running a scam.

But it raises an important question. Why should religions get a tax exemption in the first place? That seems pretty obviously a "law respecting and establishment of religion".

An allowance of religionS, generally, to be tax exempt, is not an establishment of a particular religion.

And indeed, I strongly suspect that the very act of claiming to be a "church" by this political group, is to raise that very question.

I suspect so as well. And it's a worthwhile question. The irony is that the tax exemption is used as a measure of control over religions. Every time certain religious get too big for their britches - ie too active in politics - politicians start threatening to revoke their tax exemption. Coincidence?

And by that logic, since the IRS gave this status, then the Satanic Church is controlled by the IRS?

Fine. Show me ANY church getting tax breaks, and I will call it a scam. So you aren't telling me anything i don't already know.

They absolutely are playing by the rules. Unfortunately, nothing in the rules tests the faith of people making magical horseshit claims.

This group admits that they are not really about worshiping, but about politics. That is not a church, that is a political group running a scam.

But it raises an important question. Why should religions get a tax exemption in the first place? That seems pretty obviously a "law respecting and establishment of religion".

An allowance of religionS, generally, to be tax exempt, is not an establishment of a particular religion.

And indeed, I strongly suspect that the very act of claiming to be a "church" by this political group, is to raise that very question.

I suspect so as well. And it's a worthwhile question. The irony is that the tax exemption is used as a measure of control over religions. Every time certain religious get too big for their britches - ie too active in politics - politicians start threatening to revoke their tax exemption. Coincidence?

And by that logic, since the IRS gave this status, then the Satanic Church is controlled by the IRS?

To a degree, yes. How far do you want government to go in its efforts to regulate religion?

So, do you think the government should declare the Satanic Temple a scam and revoke its tax exemption?

Yes,

Fascinating. Any other so-called religions you think the government should crack down on?

Any that admit that they don't worship the central figure of their theology for starters.

That seems like a big red flag there.

Excellent. Maybe you should compile a list of the qualities that constitute an official, government recognized, religion.

To a degree, yes. How far do you want government to go in its efforts to regulate religion?

Seems a weak connection.

I see no control inherent in granting a status.

So, do you think the government should declare the Satanic Temple a scam and revoke its tax exemption?

Yes,

Fascinating. Any other so-called religions you think the government should crack down on?

Any that admit that they don't worship the central figure of their theology for starters.

Excellent. Maybe you should compile a list of the qualities that constitute an official, government recognized, religion.

Or we could just acknowledge that when a "church" admits that it does not worship the central character of it's supposed theology, that it is not really a church.

Seems a weak connection.

Threatening to take it away doesn't count?

Or we could just acknowledge that when a "church" admits that it does not worship the central character of it's supposed theology, that it is not really a church.

Well, that would be a start, I guess. As long as government is deciding which religions are legitimate, and which are not. That's your goal, right?

Seems a weak connection.

Threatening to take it away doesn't count?

For there to be control, there would have to be a demand made, such as support this issue, or face the consequence of losing tax exempt status.

1. I am not the IRS.

2. I have not made any demands of the church.

3. They have not complied with the demands I have not made.

Well, that would be a start, I guess. As long as government is deciding which religions are legitimate, and which are not. That's your goal, right?

Dismissing the claims of a group of political activists, with a bullshit story, is not "deciding which religions are legitimate".

Dismissing the claims of a group of political activists, with a bullshit story, is not "deciding which religions are legitimate".

I see.

I see.

I should hope so.

The link includes a link to acceptable reasons for being tax exempt, a list which includes "religious",

This "satanic church"admits that they do not actually worship satan. Thus, they are only pretending to be a church, for whatever reason(s).
They are a faith group that welcomes people of all persuasions similar to Unitarians,

They admit that they are a satanic church that does not worship satan. THey are just pretending to be a faith. THey are a political group, with political goals.
Their faith is in humanity and egalitarianism . If you want to talk about a group that is political, with political goals, look at the evangelicals which pushes a far right agenda while pretending to represent the word of Christ. . The Satanic Temple has as much right to tax exemption as they do.

"Pretending"? What would you know about the word of Christ anyway? You're here gloating and celebrating the very Enemy of Christ--and of your soul--getting recognized as a church and earning tax exempt status.

No one would dare tell Satanists, Buddhists, Muslims etc what they should believe or how they should live out their faith. EVERYONE knows exactly what Jesus would do, say, think, behave and EXACTLY what He thinks of the way Christians are living their lives.

There's a reason for that.

It's.

The.

Truth.

It has been the Christians of some sects who have been pushing to allow organizations that have tax-exempt status as religious organizations to be politically active. As I recall, there even was an event in which a group of their preachers agreed to preach politics from the pulpit on a given Sunday, thus lowering the standard for a tax exemption.

These are the same people who pushed the idea that all a person has to say is "I have a sincerely held belief" to get around and all laws. This phrase is now a magic charm.

These are the same folks who complain that outsiders should not examine their beliefs or tell them how to practice their faith, but then they turn around and do the exact same thing to others.

So now they can't complain when some other organization gets a tax exemption. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

It has been the Christians of some sects who have been pushing to allow organizations that have tax-exempt status as religious organizations to be politically active. As I recall, there even was an event in which a group of their preachers agreed to preach politics from the pulpit on a given Sunday, thus lowering the standard for a tax exemption.

These are the same people who pushed the idea that all a person has to say is "I have a sincerely held belief" to get around and all laws. This phrase is now a magic charm.

These are the same folks who complain that outsiders should not examine their beliefs or tell them how to practice their faith, but then they turn around and do the exact same thing to others.

So now they can't complain when some other organization gets a tax exemption. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

America, my country, richly, richly deserves what is soon coming. I don't say this with any amount of pleasure at all. It's going to be horrible. But we have earned it in spades.

America, my country, richly, richly deserves what is soon coming. I don't say this with any amount of pleasure at all. It's going to be horrible. But we have earned it in spades.

It's depressing to know these scum know they can get away with this and nobody will lift a finger. They'll just wait around for God to do all the work...

A cult is a cult is a cult.

What’s the difference?

separation of cult and state comes to mind

A cult is a cult is a cult.

What’s the difference?

The difference is we give free money to some cults and call it faith based grants.

unconstitutional imho....

This is about them wanting to be jackasses by forcing a satan display in any christmas display in a town square or such area

well, wasn't satan an angel too.....?

47583224_1951511468302905_8887744819455587012_n.jpg

We all live with Satan, the Infidel, every day, only a fool builds him a church

or an army.....

Pope-francis-vatican-army-678x381.jpg

swiss-guard-pope-francis.jpg

~S~

It's depressing to know these scum know they can get away with this and nobody will lift a finger. They'll just wait around for God to do all the work...

Get away with exactly what? Everybody's got their tax exemptions, so what is your problem?

Just what horror are we to expect? How have Americans earned it? All in all, I think the 325 million or so of us are pretty good people as a whole. How long have you lived here?

Forum List

Back