Satanic Temple Wins IRS Rccognition as a Tax Exempt Church

Show me any other "church" that is more interested in politics than faith, and I will call it a scam too.
Fine. Show me ANY church getting tax breaks, and I will call it a scam. So you aren't telling me anything i don't already know.

They absolutely are playing by the rules. Unfortunately, nothing in the rules tests the faith of people making magical horseshit claims.

The rules, that you claim to be supporting, say that CHURCHES get tax breaks.

This group admits that they are not really about worshiping, but about politics. That is not a church, that is a political group running a scam.

That you support this, is part of the Left's war on religion, specifically Christianity.

The IRS criteria for tax exempt status says nothing about any requirement to worship a deity. I will grant you that I does prohibit political activism - so you have better alert your Evangelical friends.

Link?
My bad

Exemption Requirements Section 501(c)(3) Organizations | Internal Revenue Service

Satanic Temple Wins Official IRS Recognition As Tax-Exempt Church

As announced by Church leaders:

We are pleased to announce that for the first time in history, a satanic organization has been recognized by the United States federal government as being a church. The Satanic Temple recently received notice from the IRS affirming our status. This acknowledgement will help make sure the Satanic Temple has the same access to public spaces as other religious organizations, affirm our standing in court when battling religious discrimination and enable us to apply for faith-based government grants.

It's a great day for religious freedom in America!

In a statement, Lucien Greaves, co-founder The Satanic Temple, explains why the group sought out tax-exempt status:

In light of theocratic assaults upon the Separation of Church and State in the legislative effort to establish a codified place of privilege for one religious viewpoint, we feel that accepting religious tax exemption — rather than renouncing in protest — can help us to better assert our claims to equal access and exemption while laying to rest any suspicion that we don’t meet the qualifications of a true religious organization. Satanism is here to stay.

And by the way, before anyone has apoplexy, they do not believe in of worship Satan

For the record, the Satanic Temple does not promote the worship of Satan, or any other imaginary deity. Instead, the group utilizes satanic imagery to promote egalitarianism, social justice, and the separation of church and state.

The Satanic Temple is a faith community that describes itself as facilitating “the communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty.”

Wait.......wut?

So the US Congress is now tax exempt?

Not surprising.

We are pleased to announce that for the first time in history, a satanic organization has been recognized by the United States federal government as being a church. The Satanic Temple recently received notice from the IRS affirming our status. This acknowledgement will help make sure the Satanic Temple has the same access to public spaces as other religious organizations, affirm our standing in court when battling religious discrimination and enable us to apply for faith-based government grants.

In a statement, Lucien Greaves, co-founder The Satanic Temple, explains why the group sought out tax-exempt status:

In light of theocratic assaults upon the Separation of Church and State in the legislative effort to establish a codified place of privilege for one religious viewpoint, we feel that accepting religious tax exemption — rather than renouncing in protest — can help us to better assert our claims to equal access and exemption while laying to rest any suspicion that we don’t meet the qualifications of a true religious organization. Satanism is here to stay.

And by the way, before anyone has apoplexy, they do not believe in of worship Satan

For the record, the Satanic Temple does not promote the worship of Satan, or any other imaginary deity. Instead, the group utilizes satanic imagery to promote egalitarianism, social justice, and the separation of church and state.

The Satanic Temple is a faith community that describes itself as facilitating “the communication and mobilization of politically aware Satanists, secularists, and advocates for individual liberty.”

Wait.......wut?

Not surprising.
Care to explain that?

Wait.......wut?

Not surprising.
Care to explain that?

You are the one that said that the church of satan is now tax exempt.

So is it or isn't it?

When I think of Dim legislators standing and clapping for Third trimester abortions, I have flash backs to the movie Rosemary's baby.

So, it is a scam. A satanic church that is more interested in politics and fighting against real religion in the public square than any religious beliefs of it's own.
What is "real religion" and how are they fighting against it?

There is no "Separation of Church and State". That is lefty code for working to ban Christianity from the Public Square.
I am well aware of the fact that the Constitution does not specifically say "Separation of Church and State" but it does say that " " " " "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment if religion " That means that there shall be no laws favoring a religion as well as no laws limiting religion. Thomas Jefferson most certain thought that meant separation of church and state. I is not code for anything and no body wants to ban religious speech from the town square, nor do we thing that we can.

Having said that, how the hell does tour reply address the question that I asked?

The article states that the "satanic church" is committed to a number of goals, including fighting to "promote the separation of church and state".

As there is no such separation, as you admit, what they are actually doing it fighting against Christianity in the public square.

Show me any other "church" that is more interested in politics than faith, and I will call it a scam too.
Fine. Show me ANY church getting tax breaks, and I will call it a scam. So you aren't telling me anything i don't already know.

They absolutely are playing by the rules. Unfortunately, nothing in the rules tests the faith of people making magical horseshit claims.

This group admits that they are not really about worshiping, but about politics. That is not a church, that is a political group running a scam.

That you support this, is part of the Left's war on religion, specifically Christianity.

The IRS criteria for tax exempt status says nothing about any requirement to worship a deity. I will grant you that I does prohibit political activism - so you have better alert your Evangelical friends.

Link?
My bad

Exemption Requirements Section 501(c)(3) Organizations | Internal Revenue Service

The link includes a link to acceptable reasons for being tax exempt, a list which includes "religious",

This "satanic church"admits that they do not actually worship satan. Thus, they are only pretending to be a church, for whatever reason(s).

Link?
My bad

The link includes a link to acceptable reasons for being tax exempt, a list which includes "religious",

This "satanic church"admits that they do not actually worship satan. Thus, they are only pretending to be a church, for whatever reason(s).
They are a faith group that welcomes people of all persuasions similar to Unitarians,

Link?
My bad

They are a faith group that welcomes people of all persuasions similar to Unitarians,

They admit that they are a satanic church that does not worship satan. THey are just pretending to be a faith. THey are a political group, with political goals.

They admit that they are a satanic church that does not worship satan. THey are just pretending to be a faith. THey are a political group, with political goals.

They have as much validity as any other cult that gets special treatment from the government.

They are lying about what they are, to get treated differently than they would if they were honest.

This whole thing makes perfect sense to me. It is almost impossible to tell the deference between Christian churches and Satanic churches anyway.

Link?
My bad

Their faith is in humanity and egalitarianism . If you want to talk about a group that is political, with political goals, look at the evangelicals which pushes a far right agenda while pretending to represent the word of Christ. . The Satanic Temple has as much right to tax exemption as they do.

All religion is a scam.

Why any of them get tax exempt status is beyond me.

Their faith is in humanity and egalitarianism . If you want to talk about a group that is political, with political goals, look at the evangelicals which pushes a far right agenda while pretending to represent the word of Christ. . The Satanic Temple has as much right to tax exemption as they do.

Their "faith" is not a religious faith, thus their claim to be a church is nothing but a scam.

As you tacitly admit. Twice. No, Thrice.

I am fairly certain the a real estate developer who is also a local government official uses the not for profit "ministry" he founded to evade local real estate taxes but he is one of the few that actually is worth having around so I ain't sayin nuthin about nuthin.

But it raises an important question. Why should religions get a tax exemption in the first place? That seems pretty obviously a "law respecting and establishment of religion".

Their "faith" is not a religious faith, thus their claim to be a church is nothing but a scam.

So, do you think the government should declare the Satanic Temple a scam and revoke its tax exemption?

But it raises an important question. Why should religions get a tax exemption in the first place? That seems pretty obviously a "law respecting and establishment of religion".

An allowance of religionS, generally, to be tax exempt, is not an establishment of a particular religion.

And indeed, I strongly suspect that the very act of claiming to be a "church" by this political group, is to raise that very question.

An allowance of religionS, generally, to be tax exempt, is not an establishment of a particular religion.

And indeed, I strongly suspect that the very act of claiming to be a "church" by this political group, is to raise that very question.

I suspect so as well. And it's a worthwhile question. The irony is that the tax exemption is used as a measure of control over religions. Every time certain religious get too big for their britches - ie too active in politics - politicians start threatening to revoke their tax exemption. Coincidence?

Forum List

Back