Save social security

ifitworks

Rookie
Apr 9, 2013
SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS COULD INCREASE

With average annual wage of $50,000 and Social Security contribution of about $6000 per year for 45 years with compound interest of 5% yields over $1,000,000 LIFETIME contribution. Average person lives about 18 years beyond age 65 and receives about $1000 per month for about $216,000 in life time retirement benefits.

HOW TO FIX IT

Create a tax free savings Plan for Old Age, Disability and Survivors.

Make mandatory at 1% of income for those currently age 44-36, 2% of income for those currently age 36-28, and 3% of income for those currently age 18-28. Allow voluntary contribution up to 12% tax free savings.

Max contribution cap at amount that would provide $3000-$4000 per month cola adjusted benefits. Since this is more than typical SSA benefits it would make plan attractive to voters.

Ninety percent of funds used by FHA to originate or guarantee home loans up to x times individual account balance with max home loan of amount income qualifies for with cap of $250k on value of residence; cola adjusted. Ten percent of funds used for secured Small business loans.

Plan would be like IRA but withdraw tax free at age 62 or earlier, when disabled, or at death for survivors. Old age, survivors and disability come out of this fund before SSA fund. Withdrawal should be tax free as this replaces SSA funds. This would also make plan attractive to voters. If funds in plan sufficient for twenty years most males would never draw SSA funds. Average SSA pay-out is about $1000 per month.

SSA still administers distribution of funds.
Fund held in individual account earning interest at mortgage rates. Balance inheritable by children in their account.

Speculation but could use part of savings to buy long term disability insurance and term life insurance with govt regulated policy. Let SSA operate more like insurance company with ability to seek underwriting spreading risk. Could also design plan to create long term disability insurance policy that would stay with member for life. I realize SSA does this now and this plan as described does also but marketing/packaging it as portable less costly alternative to commercial plans could also make plan attractive to voters.

Once baby boomer bulge is past Social Security rates could go down when large percentage of members begin to use plan funds

Obama should declare any new "reforms" to entitlements off the table. The only changes that should be discussed are possible increases in benefits.

People would have more money to retire if they didn't have to give it to the fucking government.

If you had the 15% of your lifetime income that is confiscated for the SS scam you'd retire wealthier.

SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS COULD INCREASE

With average annual wage of $50,000 and Social Security contribution of about $6000 per year for 45 years with compound interest of 5% yields over $1,000,000 LIFETIME contribution. Average person lives about 18 years beyond age 65 and receives about $1000 per month for about $216,000 in life time retirement benefits.

A person retiring today with a $50,000/yr wage was not making that 45 years ago.

The first year I worked full time, I made $6500. Out of the last 5 years, four of them I have cracked 100K. I have three small properties that represent most of my savings. And I saw the value of those properties drop drastically in 2008. Had I owed a lot of money on them, no matter what my previous equity, and lost my job, as many did, I would have lost those properties. And had nothing but SS to depend on when I retire. Don't knock the SS system. It was created out of a neccessity that still exists.

the reason the right wants it privatized is so the wealthy can figure out a way to take this money from individuals.

Look what they just did to the housing industry

No privatization

Your not going to get your hands on this money scumbags

Imagine if we privatized SS before the crash like the right wanted to do?

No one would have money left

Some day, way in the future, Americans might decide that programs like Social Security are just as important as some of our useless wars. For example, did our wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan help the American people more than Social Security, and Medicare, was it about a draw, or what?
We can still have the biggies like WWII but just slow down on the little useless wars, the ones we will still be paying off for the next 80 years or so. I know if I had a choice between getting rid of Saddam or getting rid of cancer, Saddam might still be alive, and still counting his WMD's.

Get rid of SS. Save your own money.

Hell. Give me back every dime I have in both SS and Medicare. Believe me, I can take better care of my money than some clown in DC

We certainly do not want government handling our social security anymore. They have proven themselves to be thieves by spending our surpluses on that fund for other activities. If they had not been allowed to touch that fund, there would be plenty of money to support retirees indefinitely.

Here's how it actually works, based on average earnings of $4,000 per month and full SS retirement at age 65/66: 60% x $2,000 = $1200 + 30% x $2000 = $600. Total SS is about $1,800 per month (less Medicare premium). Benefits are already heavily weighted towards lower earners; $8,000 per month only generates $600 more (15% x $4,000), not to mention 85% subject to income tax. Next step will be means testing (i.e., if you have other retirement income you get less SS).

We certainly do not want government handling our social security anymore. They have proven themselves to be thieves by spending our surpluses on that fund for other activities. If they had not been allowed to touch that fund, there would be plenty of money to support retirees indefinitely.

Should that surplus SS money have just been saved and not touched, or invested with interest?
The SS law was passed during the Great Depression, and it was felt that to take that surplus money out of the economy, sat on, drawing no interest was not good. The surplus SS money was intended to be loaned out. The part that is difficult for some is that the money was loaned to the US government and that meant less money borrowed from China.
Perhaps corporations are upset because they feel the surplus money should have been loaned to private corporations instead of the government? In any case the borrowed money, be it from China or the SS surplus funds has to be paid back.

the reason the right wants it privatized is so the wealthy can figure out a way to take this money from individuals.

No I want to control my money because I can do a better job at it than the fucking government can.

If you're too stupid or too lazy to handle your money then you can let the fucking crooks in Washington do it for you.

If Social Security had not been invested the trust fund could not have grown in value.

No I want to control my money because I can do a better job at it than the fucking government can.

If you're too stupid or too lazy to handle your money then you can let the fucking crooks in Washington do it for you.

Social Security is going to pay all my recurring 'survival' bills, utilities, food, etc., and everything I get from my pension and my savings is mine to spend as I please. Why wouldn't anyone want that to be waiting for them when they retire?

Social Security is going to pay all my recurring 'survival' bills, utilities, food, etc., and everything I get from my pension and my savings is mine to spend as I please. Why wouldn't anyone want that to be waiting for them when they retire?

Why wouldn't you want more to retire on?

If you controlled that money you would have more....much more.

Forum List

Back