Sc State Trooper Shoots A Man During A Seat Belt Violation.

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
South Carolina dashcam shooting Sean Groubert Levar Jones incident on video.

Police dashcam video shows a now-former South Carolina state trooper named Sean Groubert repeatedly shooting a black man named Levar Edward Jones as Jones reaches into his car to produce his license after being pulled over for a seatbelt violation. The video of the Sept. 4 incident was released Wednesday night by law enforcement officials. Groubert has been fired and charged with felony assault and battery. Jones survived the shooting.

No! This isn't a thread about race. It's just a Current Event thread that I found disturbing. Please leave your politics out of it.

That was pretty sad, really feel for the guy. He should have told the cop he was going to reach for his license, but still, the cop seemed really trigger happy.

Keep your hands where they can be seen = not being shot

It's hard to find a way to defend the officer in this case. It was a stop for a seat belt violation that ended in an unarmed man being shot for reaching for his license. The police are usually quit to defend their own, and they fired him, and he was arrested. It seems like a pretty cut and dry case, in my opinion.

Keep your hands where they can be seen = not being shot

It's hard to find a way to defend the officer in this case. It was a stop for a seat belt violation that ended in an unarmed man being shot for reaching for his license. The police are usually quit to defend their own, and they fired him, and he was arrested. It seems like a pretty cut and dry case, in my opinion.

But he still got shot. Try to make every effort to not get shot should be the focus. It works.

That was pretty sad, really feel for the guy. He should have told the cop he was going to reach for his license, but still, the cop seemed really trigger happy.

I was thinking the same thing. I understand that police officers get nervous when somebody reaches for something where they can't see, and I completely understand why. The man should have let the officer know that he had to reach into the car for his license, and in retrospect I'm sure he agrees with you.

Either way, there are other ways to handle that situation. Anybody who has watched a lot of COPS has seen it a million times. The officer barks an order for him not to reach for something, and if he has no violent intent he immediately complies. Nobody wants to get shot.

Police dashcam video shows a now-former South Carolina state trooper named Sean Groubert repeatedly shooting a black man named Levar Edward Jones as Jones reaches into his car to produce his license after being pulled over for a seatbelt violation. The video of the Sept. 4 incident was released Wednesday night by law enforcement officials. Groubert has been fired and charged with felony assault and battery. Jones survived the shooting.

No! This isn't a thread about race. It's just a Current Event thread that I found disturbing. Please leave your politics out of it.

It's South Carolina, what do you expect. Look for any excuse to shoot. I guess to some, the driver should have gotten on the ground and begged for forgiveness from the "High sheriff."

What he should have done was stand where he was and not move until told to do so by the cop.

It's South Carolina, what do you expect. Look for any excuse to shoot. I guess to some, the driver should have gotten on the ground and begged for forgiveness from the "High sheriff."

I sincerely doubt the officer wanted an excuse to shoot, his career is now over thanks to the way this was handled. Doubt that he wanted that to happen.

What he should have done was stand where he was and not move until told to do so by the cop.

How many other stops did this trooper effectuate and not shoot someone ?

A fuckton.

And?

Are you suggesting that the cop was looking to shoot a black man? How many of that "fuckton" were black and why didn't he shoot them? I'm not defending the cop, I don't know all the intricacies of the incident. I have seen the video, it is a topic of discussion here in SC, and I know what I would do were I to be stopped by the cops. And I'm white.

It doesn't matter why he was stopped, traffic stops do lead to bigger issues on a regular basis. The guy made a quick move into his car, that's not the best way to retrieve your info. Cops do get shot, some people don't want to go to jail, it's a sad fact of life.

How many other stops did this trooper effectuate and not shoot someone ?

A fuckton.

And?

Are you suggesting that the cop was looking to shoot a black man? How many of that "fuckton" were black and why didn't he shoot them? I'm not defending the cop, I don't know all the intricacies of the incident. I have seen the video, it is a topic of discussion here in SC, and I know what I would do were I to be stopped by the cops. And I'm white.

Nothing to do with being black.

It doesn't matter why he was stopped, traffic stops do lead to bigger issues on a regular basis. The guy made a quick move into his car, that's not the best way to retrieve your info. Cops do get shot, some people don't want to go to jail, it's a sad fact of life.

I agree to a certain point. A sad fact of life is that shit happens that nobody intends. People make mistakes that can effect them their entire lives. The man probably should have let the officer know that he was reaching for his license. The officer probably shouldn't have been so trigger happy. One man got shot, and the other faces up to 20 years in prison. It's an unfortunate story all around.

The cop told him what to do and then shot him for doing it.

That cop is wound way too tight to have a gun. And, the poor victim - all he did was what the hot head cop told him to do.

Really frightening but its not true that this is not about race. That would not have happened to me and its because I'm white. It just is.

Forum List

Back