Sc State Trooper Shoots A Man During A Seat Belt Violation.

What he should have done was stand where he was and not move until told to do so by the cop.

How many other stops did this trooper effectuate and not shoot someone ?

A fuckton.

And?

Are you suggesting that the cop was looking to shoot a black man? How many of that "fuckton" were black and why didn't he shoot them? I'm not defending the cop, I don't know all the intricacies of the incident. I have seen the video, it is a topic of discussion here in SC, and I know what I would do were I to be stopped by the cops. And I'm white.

Nothing to do with being black.
"Nothing to do with being black." BS

Really frightening but its not true that this is not about race. That would not have happened to me and its because I'm white. It just is.

I disagree, but maybe it's because I have watched WAYYY too many episodes of COPS. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge not to quickly reach for anything where the officer couldn't see your hands. I'm certainly not blaming the victim. People get nervous when they are talking to the police. The officer told him to get his license, and he immediately complied. The officer was just a trigger happy moron, and he's paying for it.

It doesn't matter why he was stopped, traffic stops do lead to bigger issues on a regular basis. The guy made a quick move into his car, that's not the best way to retrieve your info. Cops do get shot, some people don't want to go to jail, it's a sad fact of life.

I agree to a certain point. A sad fact of life is that shit happens that nobody intends. People make mistakes that can effect them their entire lives. The man probably should have let the officer know that he was reaching for his license. The officer probably shouldn't have been so trigger happy. One man got shot, and the other faces up to 20 years in prison. It's an unfortunate story all around.
I agree, cops are jumpy these days, I'm not excusing it but it's a reality people should consider. Four got slaughtered having coffee here a few years ago. They regularly hear about fellow officers getting killed. If asked for id just don't do it the fastest way possible.

It doesn't matter why he was stopped, traffic stops do lead to bigger issues on a regular basis. The guy made a quick move into his car, that's not the best way to retrieve your info. Cops do get shot, some people don't want to go to jail, it's a sad fact of life.

I agree to a certain point. A sad fact of life is that shit happens that nobody intends. People make mistakes that can effect them their entire lives. The man probably should have let the officer know that he was reaching for his license. The officer probably shouldn't have been so trigger happy. One man got shot, and the other faces up to 20 years in prison. It's an unfortunate story all around.
I agree, cops are jumpy these days, I'm not excusing it but it's a reality people should consider. Four got slaughtered having coffee here a few years ago. They regularly hear about fellow officers getting killed. If asked for id just don't do it the fastest way possible.

As I said in my last post, I can understand both people's actions, but the police officer was at fault in this incident. Of course, going quickly for anything out of the officer's view isn't the best idea. Almost everybody gets nervous when they get pulled over for anything. As I said in the OP, I don't want to make this thread a race issue, but black people do get more nervous then some when speaking to the police. The officer asked for his license. Most likely, in his nervousness he complied as fast as he could without thinking, and the officer wrongfully shot him. You can feel bad for the officer, as well as the victim, but the officer does have accept responsibility for his actions.

The officer asked for his license. Most likely, in his nervousness he complied as fast as he could without thinking, and the officer wrongfully shot him. You can feel bad for the officer, as well as the victim, but the officer does have accept responsibility for his actions.
Most likely so. I'm a member on a cop forum and they are saying he was too quick too, but fortunately in this case, a bad shot.

They investigated it, found he was obviously wrong, fired him, arrested him.

So much for the narrative of how cops wont hold their own accountable. Cop haters just want ALL cops arrested. If they're wrong, they will be. As SC just did. If not...they wont. Very simple.

As I said in my last post, I can understand both people's actions, but the police officer was at fault in this incident. Of course, going quickly for anything out of the officer's view isn't the best idea. Almost everybody gets nervous when they get pulled over for anything. As I said in the OP, I don't want to make this thread a race issue, but black people do get more nervous then some when speaking to the police. The officer asked for his license. Most likely, in his nervousness he complied as fast as he could without thinking, and the officer wrongfully shot him. You can feel bad for the officer, as well as the victim, but the officer does have accept responsibility for his actions.

The media didn't include that this trooper was recently shot at, received a commendation of valor, and MAY suffer from PTSD. But dept and state policies wont let him off the road to deal with the PTSD. And now....we see how he reacted. The State of SC is as much to blame for this as the trigger happy trooper for putting a man suffering from PTSD back on patrol.

Really frightening but its not true that this is not about race. That would not have happened to me and its because I'm white. It just is.

I disagree, but maybe it's because I have watched WAYYY too many episodes of COPS. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge not to quickly reach for anything where the officer couldn't see your hands. I'm certainly not blaming the victim. People get nervous when they are talking to the police. The officer told him to get his license, and he immediately complied. The officer was just a trigger happy moron, and he's paying for it.

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge to do what the cop tells you to do.

The media didn't include that this trooper was recently shot at, received a commendation of valor, and MAY suffer from PTSD. But dept and state policies wont let him off the road to deal with the PTSD. And now....we see how he reacted. The State of SC is as much to blame for this as the trigger happy trooper for putting a man suffering from PTSD back on patrol.

Then the department was remiss in not addressing those issues.

But that was not the fault of the poor guy who just did as he was told.

We've seen similar incidents - a woman who was dragged out from under the seat belt and out of her car while the cop was hysterically screaming about how she wasn't doing as she was told and she was trying to undo her seat belt.

Cops are jumpy, at least in part, because they are outgunned. And, the nutters can deny it all they want but that is, at least in part again, because they insist that every bozo in the country should be armed to the teeth for a trip to Starbucks.

They investigated it, found he was obviously wrong, fired him, arrested him.

So much for the narrative of how cops wont hold their own accountable. Cop haters just want ALL cops arrested. If they're wrong, they will be. As SC just did. If not...they wont. Very simple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly you have said that you are a former police officer.If so I can completely understand your defensiveness in these situations. You have always seemed like a reasonable guy, so I'm sure you understand that there are those who will immediately pick sides before an investigation is complete. In the case of those who automatically side with the police, they have to realistically understand that cops are humans. Some are good. Some are bad. Sometimes when a cop shoots an unarmed man they really are in the wrong.

As far as your comment about cops holding their own accountable, I somewhat disagree. There have been many cases of cover-ups and widespread corruption among police officers. I have experienced it firsthand, but in the form of silence instead of cover-up.

If we are going to be honest with ourselves we have to acknowledge that people of all walks of life are capable of doing the wrong thing. Even those we hold up as authority figures.

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge to do what the cop tells you to do.

I may not agree with you on everything, but you are a fairly reasonable guy. I'll assume you haven't read every post I made in this thread. :D

I am in no way trying to defend the officer's actions, and have condemned them numerous times in this thread. As I said in an earlier post, he could have simply told the man not to reach in his window where he couldn't see what he was doing. Instead he started shooting. He has to take responsibility for his mistakes, and he is, by facing up to 20 years in prison.

It looked to be a normal turning-around motion where you have to swing the whole body 180 degrees. There is no way to do that slowly.

The cop did not see the man driving on the street. How can he be sure the driver didn't take the seatbelt off as soon as he entered the driveway to the gas station?

I read on another forum that the troopers wife packed up and left him after hearing of the incident. Another thing I noticed was there were other people getting gas and walking around when he went to firing at the guy missing him.

Keep your hands where they can be seen = not being shot

It's hard to find a way to defend the officer in this case. It was a stop for a seat belt violation that ended in an unarmed man being shot for reaching for his license. The police are usually quit to defend their own, and they fired him, and he was arrested. It seems like a pretty cut and dry case, in my opinion.

I agree.

There is no defense for what the officer did. He told the driver to show him his license and that is exactly what the man tried to do. When the man reached into the car for his license the officer shouted for him to get out of the car, which he immediately did. The first shot was fired when the man was standing completely outside the car and the second and third shots were fired when the man was some distance away from the car. There was nothing in the man's hands which posed any danger to the officer.

The policeman was fired and faces criminal charges. That's the way it's supposed to be.

Unfortunately this black male and white cop are a victims of realistic stereotypes

It looked to be a normal turning-around motion where you have to swing the whole body 180 degrees. There is no way to do that slowly.
You watched a different video.

Forum List

Back