🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Schumer: Let Congress decide on Iran deal

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Even if Obama continues down the path leading to the demise of America, he still needs congress on this deal and had best consult them. He still needs congress to lift the sanctions they voted in. He can't do it himself

I predict if Obama screws this up, it will be the final nail in the coffin of his failed political career

-Geaux
-------------------------------------------

Washington (CNN)A key Senate Democrat is throwing his weight behind a proposal that would allow Congress to reject the Iran nuclear deal, complicating President Barack Obama's efforts to dodge Republican opposition and lock in the pact on his own.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Monday that he is backing legislation introduced by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) to give Congress the ability to halt the implementation of the deal once the United States and five other world powers finalize the details in the coming months.

"This is a very serious issue that deserves careful consideration, and I expect to have a classified briefing in the near future. I strongly believe Congress should have the right to disapprove any agreement and I support the Corker bill which would allow that to occur," Schumer told Politico on Monday.

Schumer Congress should OK Iran deal - CNN.com

That's not what I asked. Has Congress ever passed legislation that gives them the right to kill an arms agreement that the POTUS has negotiated?

Again, congress leveled the sanctions, so, Obama must get them to lift them. Thus, as he should, Congress must put their stamp on this deal.... if that's what it even is

-Geaux

Obama's first test in maintaining Iran deal: Keeping his own party on board

President Obama faces several obstacles before actually achieving his historic nuclear deal with Iran. There's a Republican Party willing to fight him every step of the way. There's an Israeli prime minister vowing to kill it (see "Meet the Press" yesterday). And there's the fact that the U.S. and Iran still have to finalize key issues like the timing of sanctions relief. But the first test for Obama is making sure that his own party doesn't scuttle the deal -- by providing enough votes to override a presidential veto on bipartisan legislation scrutinizing the deal. Roll Call: "A key Iran bill moved this week to being just one vote away from having the necessary Senate support to overcome a promised presidential veto… Virginia Democrat Mark Warner became the 66th senator to publicly support the legislation." Two-thirds of the Senate (67 votes) and House (290 votes) are needed to override a president's veto

First Read Obama s Next Test on Iran Is Keeping His Party on Board - NBC News

Well....if. Schumer supports something.....it must be a good thing. Right?

In this case, well of course. Only a moron would think otherwise. I can cherry pick too

-Geaux

How have nuclear arms agreements negotiated by presidents been dealt with in Congress in the past?

Well, Nixon and Ford went to Congress on the SALT 1 treaty, so... yea... Obama should follow suit

-Geaux

Your problem is that this isn't a treaty.

This is an agreement with many nations involved and according to the constitution, the congress doesn't approve agreements with multiple nations.

They advise.

That's it.

The sanctions aren't completely with just America alone. Some of those sanctions are through the UN security counsel which the UN has to remove them. Not our congress.

• United Nations Security Council Resolution 1696 – passed on 31 July 2006. Demanded that Iran suspend all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities and threatened sanctions.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 1737 – passed on 23 December 2006 in response to the proliferation risks presented by the Iranian nuclear program and, in this context, by Iran's continuing failure to meet the requirements of the International Atomic Energy Agency Board of Governors and to comply with the provisions of Security Council resolution 1696 (2006).[11] Made mandatory for Iran to suspend enrichment-related and reprocessing activities and cooperate with the IAEA, imposed sanctions banning the supply of nuclear-related materials and technology, and froze the assets of key individuals and companies related to the program.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 1747 – passed on 24 March 2007. Imposed an arms embargo and expanded the freeze on Iranian assets.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 1803 – passed on 3 March 2008. Extended the asset freezes and called upon states to monitor the activities of Iranian banks, inspect Iranian ships and aircraft, and to monitor the movement of individuals involved with the program through their territory.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 1835 – Passed in 2008.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 1929 – passed on 9 June 2010. Banned Iran from participating in any activities related to ballistic missiles, tightened the arms embargo, travel bans on individuals involved with the program, froze the funds and assets of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines, and recommended that states inspect Iranian cargo, prohibit the servicing of Iranian vessels involved in prohibited activities, prevent the provision of financial services used for sensitive nuclear activities, closely watch Iranian individuals and entities when dealing with them, prohibit the opening of Iranian banks on their territory and prevent Iranian banks from entering into relationship with their banks if it might contribute to the nuclear program, and prevent financial institutions operating in their territory from opening offices and accounts in Iran.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 1984 – passed on 9 June 2011. This resolution extended the mandate of the panel of experts that supports the Iran Sanctions Committee for one year.
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 2049 – passed on 7 June 2012. Renewed the mandate of the Iran Sanctions Committee’s Panel of Experts for 13 months.

Every one of those sanctions has to be lifted by the UN security counsel. Not our congress.

Even if Obama continues down the path leading to the demise of America, he still needs congress on this deal and had best consult them. He still needs congress to lift the sanctions they voted in. He can't do it himself

I predict if Obama screws this up, it will be the final nail in the coffin of his failed political career

-Geaux
-------------------------------------------

Washington (CNN)A key Senate Democrat is throwing his weight behind a proposal that would allow Congress to reject the Iran nuclear deal, complicating President Barack Obama's efforts to dodge Republican opposition and lock in the pact on his own.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Monday that he is backing legislation introduced by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) to give Congress the ability to halt the implementation of the deal once the United States and five other world powers finalize the details in the coming months.

"This is a very serious issue that deserves careful consideration, and I expect to have a classified briefing in the near future. I strongly believe Congress should have the right to disapprove any agreement and I support the Corker bill which would allow that to occur," Schumer told Politico on Monday.

Schumer Congress should OK Iran deal - CNN.com
Deal?

What deal?

Anyone read a deal?

In typical Obama fashion, this isn't a deal when Congress gets involved, but it is a deal when Obama's legacy comes up.

Forum List

Back