SCOTUS tosses black inmate's murder conviction

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Another example of Supreme Court judges thinking for themselves after being appointed:

"The U.S. Supreme Court, confronting racial bias in the American criminal justice system, on Friday threw out a black Mississippi death row inmate's conviction in his sixth trial for a 1996 quadruple murder conviction, finding that a prosecutor unlawfully blocked black potential jurors.
The court, in a 7-2 ruling written by conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh, found that the prosecutor's actions violated the right of Curtis Flowers, 49, under the U.S. Constitution to receive a fair trial. The ruling does not preclude Mississippi from putting Flowers on trial for a seventh time.
Kavanaugh, appointed by President Donald Trump last year, wrote that the prosecutors sought to strike black jurors through all six trials. Prosecutors "engaged in dramatically disparate questioning of black and white prospective jurors" at his sixth trial, Kavanaugh added.
The prosecution's decision in the most recent trial to strike one black juror in particular "was motivated in substantial part by discriminatory intent," Kavanaugh wrote.
The decision was the latest of several in recent years in which the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of individual criminal defendants on race-related issues."

Citing racial bias, U.S. high court tosses black man's murder conviction

This was such an egregious case that it is amazing even two justices thought this was acceptable.

Again, they've tried this poor guy six times so far, and this ruling allows them to prosecute him again. So I'm not sure what the victory here is.

(Of course, if he really killed those four people, then this is a case of legal malpractice if they've tried this guy six times and still haven't gotten it right.)

This is the first I've heard of this. I thought voir dire was used by defense and prosecution alike to gain what they believe to be a jury most likely to see it their way. Jury consultants get paid a pretty penny to help choose a jury favorable to their side.

This is the first I've heard of this. I thought voir dire was used by defense and prosecution alike to gain what they believe to be a jury most likely to see it their way. Jury consultants get paid a pretty penny to help choose a jury favorable to their side.

True, this is how it is supposed to work.

However, when you are a poor black defendant and this is your SIXTH trial on the same case, you are lucky if you can afford a lawyer who will stay awake during proceedings.

This was such an egregious case that it is amazing even two justices thought this was acceptable.

Again, they've tried this poor guy six times so far, and this ruling allows them to prosecute him again. So I'm not sure what the victory here is.

(Of course, if he really killed those four people, then this is a case of legal malpractice if they've tried this guy six times and still haven't gotten it right.)
When you consider who the two justices are it really isn’t amazing.

In this case voir dire was used by a racist prosecutor intent on keeping black jurors off the jury.

...the OJ trial proved blacks vote for race, not evidence/facts/common sense
.....the last few years prove blacks don't care about evidence/facts/common sense when they loot/burn/riot BEFORE there is ANY evidence/facts/etc
...they want the verdicts to go their way or they will loot/burn/destroy
HERE--they say FK the court system/evidence/facts/etc:
Protesters promise mass shutdowns if Stockley isn’t convicted
..this is one of the reasons their culture is a failure

.....the last few years prove blacks don't care about evidence/facts/common sense when they loot/burn/riot BEFORE there is ANY evidence/facts/etc

The only failure I see is your White Trash ass.

The OJ Trial proved that if you have enough money, you can beat any rap, because cops are kind of incompetent.

The OJ Trial proved that if you have enough money, you can beat any rap, because cops are kind of incompetent.
no--mostly racist blacks on the jury

cops are incompetent???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahahhahahahah--had nothing to do with the case

Will there be any consequences for the prosecutors who are responsible for this ? Its not great for the families of the victims or the family of the chap in jail either.

The only racist was Mark Fuhrman, the guy caught on tape using racial epitaphs, admitting to planting evidence, etc..... who happened to be the guy who found all the key evidence.

Absolutely they were. For instance, they managed to lose track of half the blood they took from Simpson for testing. They claimed that only Dr. Fung handled forensic evidence, and there was film of his assistant picking it up.

In short, you had a whole lot of "Reasonable Doubt" that a jury that was inclined to acquit could hang their hats on.

Now, I believe Simpson really did kill those people. But the LAPD's conduct, combined with Simpson's celebrity, pretty much tanked that case.

Will there be any consequences for the prosecutors who are responsible for this ? Its not great for the families of the victims or the family of the chap in jail either.

Well, probably not. In fact, they are free to try him a seventh time, just this time they have to allow blacks on the jury.

Here's the thing. There's a lot of evidence he was the guy who did it. He had been fired. He had been seen lurking around the store. They were shot with a gun that was the same caliber as a gun owned by his uncle, which no one can find now.

Well, probably not. In fact, they are free to try him a seventh time, just this time they have to allow blacks on the jury.

Here's the thing. There's a lot of evidence he was the guy who did it. He had been fired. He had been seen lurking around the store. They were shot with a gun that was the same caliber as a gun owned by his uncle, which no one can find now.
But they are guilty even if he is guilty. Two separate things. You cant commit a crime to bring in the verdict you want.
I agree about OJ as well. The police could not prove it.

The only racist was Mark Fuhrman, the guy caught on tape using racial epitaphs, admitting to planting evidence, etc..... who happened to be the guy who found all the key evidence.

Absolutely they were. For instance, they managed to lose track of half the blood they took from Simpson for testing. They claimed that only Dr. Fung handled forensic evidence, and there was film of his assistant picking it up.

In short, you had a whole lot of "Reasonable Doubt" that a jury that was inclined to acquit could hang their hats on.

Now, I believe Simpson really did kill those people. But the LAPD's conduct, combined with Simpson's celebrity, pretty much tanked that case.
.....you just proved you are a dumbass racist with that reply

Another example of Supreme Court judges thinking for themselves after being appointed:

"The U.S. Supreme Court, confronting racial bias in the American criminal justice system, on Friday threw out a black Mississippi death row inmate's conviction in his sixth trial for a 1996 quadruple murder conviction, finding that a prosecutor unlawfully blocked black potential jurors.
The court, in a 7-2 ruling written by conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh, found that the prosecutor's actions violated the right of Curtis Flowers, 49, under the U.S. Constitution to receive a fair trial. The ruling does not preclude Mississippi from putting Flowers on trial for a seventh time.
Kavanaugh, appointed by President Donald Trump last year, wrote that the prosecutors sought to strike black jurors through all six trials. Prosecutors "engaged in dramatically disparate questioning of black and white prospective jurors" at his sixth trial, Kavanaugh added.
The prosecution's decision in the most recent trial to strike one black juror in particular "was motivated in substantial part by discriminatory intent," Kavanaugh wrote.
The decision was the latest of several in recent years in which the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of individual criminal defendants on race-related issues."

Citing racial bias, U.S. high court tosses black man's murder conviction

So they let a murderer go loose because of the prosecution wanted to make sure there weren’t going to be a bunch of black jurors who would let the guy off since he is black?

In this case voir dire was used by a racist prosecutor intent on keeping black jurors off the jury.

The prosecutor was merely trying to keep racist blacks off the jury. Everyone knows that many blacks will acquit a black defendant solely based on race and not the facts. Even Clarence Thomas agrees with that.

It’s egregious because a murderer was let loose, and will likely never be tried again because of the Social Justice culture we live in now. All the evidence in the case clearly proves he murdered those people.

Forum List

Back