Seat Belts?

Seat bealts on school buses?

• Total voters

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Federal law MANDATES seat belts be included in cars.
State law MANDATES I wear that belt or pay a fine.
Children just died because of the lack of belts.
If you let your child ride without a belt in your car you get a ticket and maybe a child neglect charge.

You seeing the problem here? The federal and state government is EXEMPT from providing the same protections to children you are. And the state can take your child away from you for the very thing they practice nine months out of a year.

They argue its not cost effective, how is that sh#t working for you? Our children and us are MANDATED to attend a school. Yet those who mandate exempt themselves from what they argue is a NEEDED protection? They can mandate common core and islamic indoctrination and perversion and we cannot expect/ask or demand seat belts?

Your Take?

Fury

Mandate seat belts and there are couple of things you'll need to mandate as well:

1. Mechanisms that prevent a bus from moving before all belts are secure.

2. Mechanism that injects with fast-acting poison anyone who takes off seat belt while bus is in motion. What the hell, if they want to try to stop everyone else on the bus from getting to school they need to die, right?

Mandate seat belts and there are couple of things you'll need to mandate as well:

2. Mechanism that injects with fast-acting poison anyone who takes off seat belt while bus is in motion. What the hell, if they want to try to stop everyone else on the bus from getting to school they need to die, right?
I was thinking they could use a light system similar to one in a plane. The bus would operate fully no matter but the light would give you up. Then you would need some infraction system.

Yeah, and then the poor SOB's who are stuck behind the school busses will have to wait another 15 minutes every stop as the kids fumble around with the stupid seatbelts.

If you let your child ride without a belt in your car you get a ticket and maybe a child neglect charge.

You seeing the problem here? The federal and state government is EXEMPT from providing the same protections to children you are. And the state can take your child away from you for the very thing they practice nine months out of a year.

They argue its not cost effective, how is that sh#t working for you? Our children and us are MANDATED to attend a school. Yet those who mandate exempt themselves from what they argue is a NEEDED protection? They can mandate common core and islamic indoctrination and perversion and we cannot expect/ask or demand seat belts?

Your Take?

Fury
I see your point, why is the government exempt from this rule?

I'm on the fence on this issue, I've driven a school bus, and I know the brats that ride them, cause I used to be one.
I know what a pain in the ass it would be to make every kid actually wear a seatbelt, and you would have to have 3 belts available per seat, not 2, cause many busses carry more passengers than there are seats.

Already there are rules that limit a child to no more than 45 minutes one way on a school bus in Tennessee, so if you get to school by 730, you cant start your route before 645(that is make your first pick up), enforcing children to buckle up would slow down the bus even further. I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just telling you what I actually know by first hand experience.

Funny thing though, parents will do all kinds of research on schools and schools systems, and teachers before buying a house, but they never think about researching bus drivers, or the company who hires bus drivers in that district, as many are now privately owned, as was the one who crashed in Chattanooga.

One thing about that wreck, if seatbelts had been mandatory, would it have saved any lives, or would it have caused more deaths? That bus hit and landed on it's side, so with seat belts, half of the kids would have been hanging from the, at the time, roof, and if unbuckling, they would be falling onto others. The screaming in the school bus with seatbelts buckled would have been deafening. and panic would have been huge.

I don't agree with seat belts being mandatory in any vehicle which is privately owned, unless the owner mandates it, and I only wear a seat belt while driving a commercial vehicle, because I could be ejected from it, but there is not a regular consumer vehicle that I could be ejected from, and seat belts are very uncomfortable for a man of my size, and they impede my ability to look in my blind spots. So I will pay the fine if they want to write me the ticket, my choice, my life. Though I do make anyone else who rides with me wear their seatbelt, unless they want, and are able to pay the fine(in other words, old enough to have a job).

On a side note, you should see some of the roads that school buses run on in this area, there is not room for 2 cars to pass, much less a car and a bus, and there are many blind hills on those roads.

SO NOTE TO POTENTIAL PARENTS, before deciding on a house, run the school bus route, and see if you would like to drive it everyday, and do it in a pre 90's Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac.

Or they could hire humans to drive them.

694940094001_5220565763001_School-bus-driver-arrested--charged-in-deadly-crash.jpg

Your Take?

Fury

It's complicated. Above your pay grade.

There was a "pilot study" done in NC that found only like 50% of the kids kept their belts on, and HS's were dismal at it.

The biggest argument against seatbelts for buses are that the kids would be trapped in their seats vastly increasing the time to get them off the bus.

If you can imagine a horrible situation where a bus actually flips upside down and starts on fire I'm sure you can imagine the absolute chaos of trying to get these kids off the ceiling before the bus burns up. Now you might argue that they're just flying around in the bus - which in the case of a flip is valid, and in fact despite the fire hazard I would argue that belts would be beneficial so long as they /were/ able to get the kids out before being burnt.

However when you are talking about a more "likely" accident involving a bus the situation is completely different. Typical accident another vehicle slams into the bus, from any direction, the kids are what they call "compartmentalized" meaning that the seat in front of them will generally keep them in their seats. The reason seat belts prevent death in cars is because folks without them get ejected from the vehicle, this is highly unlikely to happen in a typical bus accident, far more likely that at most, say in a T-bone, the isle seated kids get booted into the center isle, which in the grand scheme of things is not likely to cause life threatening injury.

Now think about a more "likely" accident where the bus catches on fire; here if the kids are all belted in then we're relying on young children to a) get themselves unbuckled or b) for the typical one or two adults to get them all unbuckled (presuming said adults survive/are not injured in say a front end accident) now say the bus is on fire. You can see how it would be detrimental to getting the kids off the bus.

694940094001_5220565763001_School-bus-driver-arrested--charged-in-deadly-crash.jpg

You would not call that guy an animal to his face. Why do it here? Coward.
Well, seeing how he'll be in prison, I won't have the opportunity but it's good to know you're defending the animal who killed 6 kids.

I defended nobody. You are a coward.
You wouldn't call me a coward to my face, why do it here? Oh, that's right, you're a coward.

Well, seeing how he'll be in prison, I won't have the opportunity but it's good to know you're defending the animal who killed 6 kids.

You wouldn't call me a coward to my face, why do it here? Oh, that's right, you're a coward.

You sure about that?

To me, buses should have seat belts, but if the buses are driven fast enough when a crash takes place, like the one earlier this week, how much of a difference will they really make when death can still happen even if they are worn?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

You sure about that?
Oh yeah.

You sure about that?
Oh yeah.

OK. How can we find out?

You sure about that?
Oh yeah.

OK. How can we find out?
No need to be cryptic, say what you want to say.

You sure about that?
Oh yeah.

OK. How can we find out?
No need to be cryptic, say what you want to say.

I will call you a coward to your face. How can we arrange it?

Forum List

Back