Seattle City Council advances new gun, ammunition tax

I don't know why they have a State Government anymore. city councils are now able to make LAWS on taxes? where are the people in Seattle?

That's one thing I like about Virginia. State law supercedes. I can carry anywhere a property owner has not prohibited it.

The Seattle City Council is expected to cast a final vote Monday on legislation that adds new taxes and regulations on firearms and ammunition sold in the city.

The legislation, which passed unanimously Wednesday by the Education and Governance Committee, would implement a $25 tax on firearms and a 5-cent-per-round tax on ammunition, and would force gun owners to report a lost or stolen firearm within 24 hours.
Seattle City Council advances new gun ammunition tax - Washington Times

Out of the other side of their mouths, people who support this idea will tell you that a $10 for a state ID, good for 4 years, as a requirement to vote creates an "undue burden" on the right to vote.

But, here's the best part:
Supporters believe the tax will deter criminals from buying a gun,
:lol:

Hahaha!!!! They think that's gonna stop criminals from getting guns? Even if they weren't buying them black market......the criminal would just go steal the extra $25.

They know that criminals won't be affected by this tax...that isn't the point. They know that it will inconvenience most gun owners and for poor gun owners, it will be a real burden...that is their point.

2dA rights are, of course, not unlimited.

The comparison was fallacious between voting IDs and the taxes.

However, the gun defenders can argue more coherently that these taxes are obviously the 2dA version of poll taxes.

The gun tax is a poll tax and an infringement on poor people's right to defend themselves

I agree. Bearing arms is actually in the Bill of Rights. Voting isn't.
Amendment 14, paragraph 2. Pesky amendment, yes. Nothing about IDs.

Nope.

Try reading the whole thing.
You need to read it. Everyone votes or the states get penalized for not letting everybody. No way around it. Nothing about IDs. You are on a false trail.

Please quote the portion of the 2nd that says anything about ID
Exactly the point. Nothing about IDs, only that everyone has a right to vote. An ID would be an infringement.

2dA rights are, of course, not unlimited.

However, the gun defenders can argue more coherently that these taxes are obviously the 2dA version of poll taxes.

The gun tax is a poll tax and an infringement on poor people's right to defend themselves
The dementia is back, isn't it? The gun tax is the 2dA' equivalent to a poll tax on voting. Both are unconstitutional.

Exactly the point. Nothing about IDs, only that everyone has a right to vote. An ID would be an infringement.
Why must I have one to buy a gun?

Why must I have one to buy a gun?
Because you are you, hortysir. You must be hiding something. In fact, the courts are divided on the ID issues, but the fed panel ruled that the Tx IDs for voting were not like a poll tax but were onerous. Is an ID for buying a gun onerous to you?

I don't know why they have a State Government anymore. city councils are now able to make LAWS on taxes? where are the people in Seattle?

That's one thing I like about Virginia. State law supercedes. I can carry anywhere a property owner has not prohibited it.
It's true here too. This is a shall issue state and the Seattlites have banned guns only to have it struck down. I don't think a state law can stop this though, it will depend on the lawyers and judge and how they see infringement. The ammo costs will go through the roof.

I have mixed feelings though, if you live in Seattle you have to know the place has been taken over by lunatics that live in a bubble. They painted their crosswalks in rainbow colors in solidarity with homosexuals (as if they've been downtrodden). It's the kind of shit a 7 year old would come up with.

There is a solution, perhaps to voter id without letting democrats cheat.....when someone votes...you mark their hand with ink...like we did in Afghanistan. Then there is no issue of id, and you simply have to show your hands to the precinct watchers before you vote.

Voting fraud is almost nil.

Those who say it is not are malignantly motivated, woefully ignorant, or mentally feeble, or any combination of the three.

My opinion remains that the tax is unconstitutional.

Those who say it is not are malignantly motivated, woefully ignorant, or mentally feeble, or any combination of the three.

Voter fraud is almost never investigated.

Because it almost never happens. It is not a significant event.

Sorry, it sways elections....you never see it because no one wants to pursue it....

Seattle can choose to tax whatever it wants.

They do need to understand, though, that the tax revenue from zero sales is zero dollars. Plenty of other cities where ammo isn't taxed - many within a few minutes drive though perhaps more difficult for deprived minorities who can sue for being discriminated against.

Doubt it?

Wonder where are very few liquor stores within 10-miles of the Massachusetts side of the New Hampshire border?

Seattle can choose to tax whatever it wants.

They do need to understand, though, that the tax revenue from zero sales is zero dollars. Plenty of other cities where ammo isn't taxed - many within a few minutes drive though perhaps more difficult for deprived minorities who can sue for being discriminated against.

Doubt it?

Wonder where are very few liquor stores within 10-miles of the Massachusetts side of the New Hampshire border?

They can't tax ammo....we have let them tax guns and ammo for far too long.

Because it almost never happens. It is not a significant event.

Sorry, it sways elections....you never see it because no one wants to pursue it....
Sorry, it doesn't

Forum List

Back