Seattle minimum wage, $15/hr over next seven years

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
SEATTLE -- Seattle Mayor Ed Murray on Thursday proposed a phased-in increase of the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour over the next seven years.

Under the mayor's plan, businesses with more than 500 employees nationally will have at least three years to phase in the increase. Those with health care insurance will have four years to complete the phase-in.

Smaller organizations will be given seven years, with the new wage including a consideration for tips and health care costs over the first five years.

The mayor said 21 of 25 members of his minimum wage task force, which included representatives of business, labor and community groups, voted in favor of the plan.

5e3c0631f857ada84d2e60897a337fb9.jpg

Excellent plan.

SEATTLE -- Seattle Mayor Ed Murray on Thursday proposed a phased-in increase of the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour over the next seven years.

Under the mayor's plan, businesses with more than 500 employees nationally will have at least three years to phase in the increase. Those with health care insurance will have four years to complete the phase-in.

Smaller organizations will be given seven years, with the new wage including a consideration for tips and health care costs over the first five years.

The mayor said 21 of 25 members of his minimum wage task force, which included representatives of business, labor and community groups, voted in favor of the plan.

Excellent plan.

What is excellent about overpaying people for work that doesn't warrant that level of compensation?

Plus, now people that used to make more than the old minimum but at the new one will be pissed off, considering they used to make more than some semi-skilled mouth breather, and THEY will demand an increased salary. Thus prices will go up, because things cost more. For all you robin hood types out there the money will not come from the stockholders or the owners, it will come out of YOUR POCKET in the form of increased costs.

• Banned
The mayor and his task force reached a different conclusion.

Forgot the link,

Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage | KING5.com Seattle

Where it was stated

Howard Wright, CEO of the Seattle Hospitality Group and a co-chairman of the task force, said he thought the plan would have support from the business community.

"While I know not everyone in the employer community will be satisfied, I believe it is the best outcome given the political environment."

• Banned
Maybe the runaway 'pay' to stockholders and CEO's will take the hit. Because I never went to business school, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I should think it would take a special kind of stupid to price yourself out of the market. :thup:

The mayor and his task force reached a different conclusion.

Forgot the link,

Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage | KING5.com Seattle

Where it was stated

Howard Wright, CEO of the Seattle Hospitality Group and a co-chairman of the task force, said he thought the plan would have support from the business community.

"While I know not everyone in the employer community will be satisfied, I believe it is the best outcome given the political environment."

The dissatisfaction will be observed when businesses start moving out of Seattle.

The builders of the Titanic thought their ship was unsinkable.

Maybe the runaway 'pay' to stockholders and CEO's will take the hit. Because I never went to business school, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I should think it would take a special kind of stupid to price yourself out of the market. :thup:

That affects only the large companies. The small owner who either now has to make less profit, raise his prices or move would disagree that he is "over-compensated"

Again, paying people more than what they are worth leads to inflation, and then makes the wage you gave them back to where it was before.

Also won't happen. Too much money in Seattle.

Try again?

You sound awfully confident for someone who doesn't seem to grasp basic economics and the causes of inflation.

Oh, thank you Marty. I got you to melt by presenting the facts in what? Five posts?

Your view on this is based on guesses, wishful thinking, and ignoring of basic economics.

But like most progressives, you want to do it because of a combination of guilt, wanting to stick it to the man, and the usual callousness of using the government to spend other peoples money.

Not at all. It's not like McDonalds is going to raise their prices and Burger King isn't. Business is about one thing and one thing only.... PROFIT. Anything that cuts into PROFIT is going to get dealt with, one way or another (either through higher prices or lower staffing levels). You may still get your Big Mac for the same price as today but it's going to take twice as long to get it.

Okay. And I know you'll think me rude, but neither of you two have said anything other than that which you always say. Apparently the mayor of Seattle and his minimum wage task force are yes: Just that stupid, along with anybody else who ever thought to raise the minimum wage.

Thank you for your time.

Okay. And I know you'll think me rude, but neither of you two have said anything other than that which you always say. Apparently the mayor of Seattle and his minimum wage task force are yes: Just that stupid, along with anybody else who ever thought to raise the minimum wage.

Thank you for your time.

So because some task force that wanted to reach a conclusion reached said conclusion, all arguments are now off the table, and everything will be warm and fuzzy with gumdrops and dancing fairies???

This is not a minimum wage, its the fallacy of a livable wage, and the who cares about the consequences buying of the uninformed voter and the progressive voter.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to convince a fool that she's wrong is to let her have her own way. Raise it to 15, 20 or 25. Run it up the flag pole and see how it flies. Experiment. If it works, other communities will try it. Critics will be convinced. If it doesn't work, it will be abandoned for another idea.

Unfortunately, a lot of small businesses will go under in the process leaving the dreaded evil big businesses to clean up. The evil rich who the Libs are always against wins once again because of a humane Lib idea.
monopoly_man2.jpg

It always cracks me up when non business people with no clue about making payroll who have no skin in the game are the loudest about increasing costs to a business owner. I understand when politicians do it. There will always be more poor people than rich. Pander to them and you endear yourself to a large, permanent voter base.

A good friend of mine inherited a few of small burger stands. After 40 years of managing them, he finally sold the last one. I asked him if he would miss it. The look on his face told the whole story. It blew away the whole Norman Rockwell American worker oppressed by The Man theory.

In his community, (rural, vacation lake home area), the only people he could hire at minimum wage were teenagers or low life types right out of prison. They had no work ethic, often missed work, often late, would steal any chance they got and rarely made it pass the trainee stage. He had to watch them like a hawk and could never leave them alone. That left his "managers" to steal and goof off at the stores in his absense. Basically, a pain in the ass for a small business man with a razor thin profit margin. He ended up doing most of the work while his min wage kids sulked about doing little or doing it wrong.

There's a reason some people are at the low end of the wage scale. How high or low the minimum wage is will never change that. They will always be among us. We'll take care of them the best we can. We always have.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to convince a fool that she's wrong is to let her have her own way. Raise it to 15, 20 or 25. Run it up the flag pole and see how it flies. Experiment. If it works, other communities will try it. Critics will be convinced. If it doesn't work, it will be abandoned for another idea.

Unfortunately, a lot of small businesses will go under in the process leaving the dreaded evil big businesses to clean up. The evil rich who the Libs are always against wins once again because of a humane Lib idea.
monopoly_man2.jpg

It always cracks me up when non business people with no clue about making payroll who have no skin in the game are the loudest about increasing costs to a business owner. I understand when politicians do it. There will always be more poor people than rich. Pander to them and you endear yourself to a large, permanent voter base.

A good friend of mine inherited a few of small burger stands. After 40 years of managing them, he finally sold the last one. I asked him if he would miss it. The look on his face told the whole story. It blew away the whole Norman Rockwell American worker oppressed by The Man theory.

In his community, (rural, vacation lake home area), the only people he could hire at minimum wage were teenagers or low life types right out of prison. They had no work ethic, often missed work, often late, would steal any chance they got and rarely made it pass the trainee stage. He had to watch them like a hawk and could never leave them alone. That left his "managers" to steal and goof off at the stores in his absense. Basically, a pain in the ass for a small business man with a razor thin profit margin. He ended up doing most of the work while his min wage kids sulked about doing little or doing it wrong.

There's a reason some people are at the low end of the wage scale. How high or low the minimum wage is will never change that. They will always be among us. We'll take care of them the best we can. We always have.

Looks like 40 years of mismanagement on his part, or he's blowing smoke up your skirt and is retiring to his new beach house in Hawaii.

If it is possible to do something stupid in a reasonable way, this is it. The predictability of the plan is a virtue. Many people will benefit, but as with all stupid economic initiatives, the initiators focus in on the few who will benefit and ignore those who will suffer. In this case, consumers will suffer a lot, but the workers who will lose their jobs or have their hours cut will feel it more. Businesses that CAN move will. If you have a business that competes with other local businesses outside Seattle city limits you are fucked.

I would like to have a Burger King just outside the city limits. I could raise my prices to match the inflated prices within the city, while continuing to pay my employees less.

EXPLOIT THE WORKING MAN!

Excellent plan.

Why no link? Do you not want me to dig into the members of the task force and find out that all the members that voted for it favor big business interests over small mom and pop stores? After all, it isn't like Seattle cares about the little guy, they have Boeing.

Forum List

Back