Second worst sexist comments I've read in a while (next to Ann Coulter and Trump)

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
Well, I'm glad Serena Williams responded to the point.
I don't even want to repeat the original remarks.
They weren't as bad as when Ann Coulter made a crude remark about a Muslim woman referring to her genitalia. But next to Trump's remarks about blood coming out of a woman's "whatever," I think this is actually more embarrassing in its insinuations:

RE:
The Indian Wells CEO shared his awful thoughts on women’s tennis and quickly apologized

Serena Williams fires back after Indian Wells CEO's sexist remarks

======================
Williams said via ESPN:

“Obviously, I don’t think any woman should be down on their knees thanking anybody like that. I think Venus [Williams], myself, a number of players have been — if I could tell you every day how many people say they don’t watch tennis unless they’re watching myself or my sister, I couldn’t even bring up that number. So I don’t think that is a very accurate statement. I think there is a lot of women out there who are more … are very exciting to watch. I think there are a lot of men out there who are exciting to watch. I think it definitely goes both ways. I think those remarks are very much mistaken and very, very, very inaccurate.”

Williams also didn’t buy that Moore’s statements could have been taken out of context.

“Well, if you read the transcript, you can only interpret it one way. I speak very good English. I’m sure he does too. You know, there’s only one way to interpret that. Get on your knees, which is offensive enough, and thank a man, which is not — we, as women, have come a long way. We shouldn’t have to drop to our knees at any point.”
====================

As for the real issue, if tennis is dominated by men and women are riding on their coattails, For someone like me who normally doesn't follow tennis in general, I think it depends on the "specific athletes" if they attract audiences or not.

Lots of people watched Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, Billie Jean King at the time I was into watching tennis and wimbledon which I don't anymore.
I also watched Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg, and Guillermo Vilas (?).

So for me, at least, it was pretty equal, where I took as much interest in the female as the male tennis players and saw them the same.

For things like Gymnastics, I am more interested in women's gymnastics than men's,
and maybe for ice skating also, either the women's solo or the couples more than the men's. Unless there is a really good person to watch, such as Scott Hamilton I always wanted to watch specifically.

For tennis it was pretty even, and depended on the person if I watched them or not.

Forum List

Back