Self Driving Road Kill, Part 43,593

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
The driver of a Tesla electric car had the vehicle’s semi-autonomous Autopilot mode engaged when she slammed into the back of a Utah fire truck over the weekend, in the latest crash involving a car with self-driving features. […]

South Jordan police said the Tesla Model S was going 60 mph (97 kph) when it slammed into the back of a fire truck stopped at a red light. The car appeared not to brake before impact.

Tesla's Autopilot was engaged during Utah crash

I'm interested to know if she got the spinning blue circle of death icon on her screen just before impact.

This is real bad P.R .. I wonder if the public will now reject them no matter how good they will get in the future?

The driver of a Tesla electric car had the vehicle’s semi-autonomous Autopilot mode engaged when she slammed into the back of a Utah fire truck over the weekend, in the latest crash involving a car with self-driving features. […]

South Jordan police said the Tesla Model S was going 60 mph (97 kph) when it slammed into the back of a fire truck stopped at a red light. The car appeared not to brake before impact.

I'm interested to know if she got the spinning blue circle of death icon on her screen just before impact.

It truly amazes me how people can be so oblivious to the world around them. Or, and this is even more concerning, how anyone can be so idiotic to think that the laws of physics don't apply to them. I feel sorry for her family but she is yet another example of how natural selection works.

This is real bad P.R .. I wonder if the public will now reject them no matter how good they will get in the future?

I think it was always going to have to be something which developed over time, no matter how well the cars performed in testing. That there have been some high profile problems and crashes doesn't help, of course, but self-driving cars are the kind of thing that probably need a generation which has grown up with their existence if they are going to catch on.

It's possible that they never will catch on, but I think eventually self-driving cars will become the norm. I think it will be decades before that is true, though.

It truly amazes me how people can be so oblivious to the world around them. Or, and this is even more concerning, how anyone can be so idiotic to think that the laws of physics don't apply to them. I feel sorry for her family but she is yet another example of how natural selection works.
What's the point of autonomous cars if you have to be ready to take over every second?

I think it was always going to have to be something which developed over time, no matter how well the cars performed in testing. That there have been some high profile problems and crashes doesn't help, of course, but self-driving cars are the kind of thing that probably need a generation which has grown up with their existence if they are going to catch on.

It's possible that they never will catch on, but I think eventually self-driving cars will become the norm. I think it will be decades before that is true, though.
Your great grandchildren will die of old age before computers stop having brain farts.

Bad PR for Tesla because people are stupid. The autonomous feature is really cool except you still have to pay attention to what's going on. bad PR for Tesla because people are stupid. The autonomous features really cool except you still have to pay it then she know what's going on.

It appears the voice control on Android phones is also flood, er flawed.

Your great grandchildren will die of old age before computers stop having brain farts.

Computers already run all sorts of things, including many systems within cars.

While no driving software may ever be perfect, when one considers how many accidents and fatalities occur with human drivers, it seems obvious that computer-driven cars will end up being safer.

What's the point of autonomous cars if you have to be ready to take over every second?

You don't have to be poised to take over every second, but you DO have to pay attention to the world around you. Anyone who doesn't is merely getting what they deserve.

The financial incentives are too great to ignore for Corporate America. Driverless vehicles will be the norm in our lifetimes. What will be interesting is if the laws will keep up with the times. Who do you sue when you get rear-ended? The developer of the software, the owner of the vehicle, both? The city for not having the "recognizer" displayed prominently enough so the vehicle knew the intersection was ahead?

While no driving software may ever be perfect, when one considers how many accidents and fatalities occur with human drivers, it seems obvious that computer-driven cars will end up being safer.

We are talking PR.. and soccer mom's here.( well I am)

The financial incentives are too great to ignore for Corporate America. Driverless vehicles will be the norm in our lifetimes. What will be interesting is if the laws will keep up with the times. Who do you sue when you get rear-ended? The developer of the software, the owner of the vehicle, both? The city for not having the "recognizer" displayed prominently enough so the vehicle knew the intersection was ahead?

Great post candy.

Weatherman seems to be trying to say that self driving cars can't be safe, not just that they've had bad PR. :dunno:

Weatherman seems to be trying to say that self driving cars can't be safe, not just that they've had bad PR. :dunno:

I am not sure why he is saying that, because it's obvious they will ...all I am talking about is the bad PR right now about them, are they being introduced to fast with the low technology we have today about them compared to a few years from now?

Bingo!
Call me when a computer does everything you ask it to do when you want it done.

Bingo!

Dude it's only 2018..

Remember 1972, that was only a few decades ago

And yet another flaming sparky car.
image.jpeg

Tesla Bursts Into Flames After "Violent Crash" In Switzerland, Killing Driver Trapped Inside

Bingo!

Dude it's only 2018..

69 we walked on the moon with 16K of memory.

Bingo!

Dude it's only 2018..

What's funny is I guessed 1972 before I watched my own link..

Forum List

Back