Selling a Car

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Why do so many buyers seem so hesitant to transfer the title in the normal way?

Go to the bank, notarized the title, and everything is done. Do these people all have criminal intentions or do they just want to buy some time to add insurance or whatever else is going on? I just sold my car and the dude asked, “Can’t I borrow the plate for a few days?” I said, “No, why would you need to do that?”

My wife thinks he is going to use the car to commit a crime. Anyways. I have a bill of sale and my old tag that I plan to turn in to the dmv tomorrow. Once that is done I can drop my insurance. I feel like I’m in the clear once I turn the tag in and report it sold. I guess I just hope he doesn’t go anywhere shady tonight.

Why do so many buyers seem so hesitant to transfer the title in the normal way?

Go to the bank, notarized the title, and everything is done. Do these people all have criminal intentions or do they just want to buy some time to add insurance or whatever else is going on? I just sold my car and the dude asked, “Can’t I borrow the plate for a few days?” I said, “No, why would you need to do that?”

My wife thinks he is going to use the car to commit a crime. Anyways. I have a bill of sale and my old tag that I plan to turn in to the dmv tomorrow. Once that is done I can drop my insurance. I feel like I’m in the clear once I turn the tag in and report it sold. I guess I just hope he doesn’t go anywhere shady tonight.
why do you need to pay the government for a personal transaction??

in my state you dont need to get it notarized or have a bill of sale,, just sign the title and give it to me and I give you money,,

in my state you dont need to get it notarized or have a bill of sale,, just sign the title and give it to me and I give you money,,
Title transfer laws are different in each state. I just sold a motorcycle to a guy and had to get the titled notarized. That's Arizona law but a lot of states don't require a notary.

I live in North Carolina. The notary doesn’t cost anything. Most banks offer it as a courtesy to their customers. It isn’t really a tax per se. It is another level of government though to make sure the title of the property is registered to the real possessor of the property. I’m not sure why it matters. If I don’t own the car the rightful owner will report it stolen. If I commit a crime in another person’s vehicle that doesn’t really matter either. A crime is a crime. I’m not sure why it is so important here in North Carolina. That is a good question.

In California, you don't even need to bother buying the car.

Just break the window and hot wire the car and it's yours.

Then if they get caught, you charge the police with a hate crime, that is, assuming the thief is a minority, that is

In California, you don't even need to bother buying the car.

Just break the window and hot wire the car and it's yours.

Then if they get caught, you charge the police with a hate crime, that is, assuming the thief is a minority, that is

That sounds a lot easier than all this other government mumbo jumbo.

Forum List

Back