Sen. Cotton Introduces Bill to Cut Funding to Schools Teaching ‘1619 Project’

Billiejeens

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2019
Senator Tom Cotton (R., Ark.) introduced a bill Tuesday which would prohibit the use of federal funds to teach the New York Times‘s 1619 Project in public schools.

The bill—titled the Saving American History Act of 2020—would require secretaries from the Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Agriculture to cut federal funding to schools choosing to implement the 1619 Project into their curriculum. The amount of funds cut from public schools would depend on teaching and planning costs for the 1619 Project curriculum. Federal funding for low-income and special-needs students would not be affected by the bill.

"The New York Times’s 1619 Project is a racially divisive, revisionist account of history that denies the noble principles of freedom and equality on which our nation was founded," Cotton said. "Not a single cent of federal funding should go to indoctrinate young Americans with this left-wing garbage."

Bj's pull quote

Catching much traction in progressive circles, the project has not been immune to criticism. Several of the nation’s top historians drafted a letter in December 2019 to express their "reservations" about the project’s historical veracity.

"It still strikes me as amazing why the New York Times would put its authority behind a project that has such weak scholarly support," said Gordon Wood, a National Humanities Medal recipient at Brown University.

This is the GOP's form of virtue signaling to the base.

Knowing full well that it will never get past the House, he can then go out in front of his constituents and say, "See what a conservative I am!"

Never will you see this kind of bill when the GOP has control of both houses.

You could teach Irish American kids about "black 47" and the cruelties of the English landlords and the French and German American kids about the tribal warfare their ancestors endured and even teach Scandanavian American kids about their murderous ancestors who preyed on peaceful villages but what good would it do except to foster anger? Aren't we all Americans? Shouldn't kids be learning about the greatest Country in the world that invented the modern concept of democracy instead of filling their heads with awful images that only make them angry and unhappy?

Senator Tom Cotton (R., Ark.) introduced a bill Tuesday which would prohibit the use of federal funds to teach the New York Times‘s 1619 Project in public schools.

The bill—titled the Saving American History Act of 2020—would require secretaries from the Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Agriculture to cut federal funding to schools choosing to implement the 1619 Project into their curriculum. The amount of funds cut from public schools would depend on teaching and planning costs for the 1619 Project curriculum. Federal funding for low-income and special-needs students would not be affected by the bill.

"The New York Times’s 1619 Project is a racially divisive, revisionist account of history that denies the noble principles of freedom and equality on which our nation was founded," Cotton said. "Not a single cent of federal funding should go to indoctrinate young Americans with this left-wing garbage."

Bj's pull quote

Catching much traction in progressive circles, the project has not been immune to criticism. Several of the nation’s top historians drafted a letter in December 2019 to express their "reservations" about the project’s historical veracity.

"It still strikes me as amazing why the New York Times would put its authority behind a project that has such weak scholarly support," said Gordon Wood, a National Humanities Medal recipient at Brown University.

So when did slavery begin in what is now known as the USA?

so low income and special needs schools could teach the 1619 project.
The amount of funds cut from public schools would depend on teaching and planning costs for the 1619 Project curriculum. Federal funding for low-income and special-needs students would not be affected by the bill.

Why not?

Last edited:
We know that public schools are leftist democrat indoctrination centers. Sen. Cotton's bill is what fighting back looks like, and it has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
1. I would never lower myself to read the New York Times.

2. But -- as a fair-minded person -- I admit that in this instance it is correct: Everything that is happening now and before can be traced back to 1619, when the first folks were brought here from a faraway continent to do unpaid work.

3. I sometimes think of what a happy country this would be today if that event in 1619 had not happened.

This is the GOP's form of virtue signaling to the base.

Knowing full well that it will never get past the House, he can then go out in front of his constituents and say, "See what a conservative I am!"

Never will you see this kind of bill when the GOP has control of both houses.
Of course it won't pass the House because the 1619 project is in perfect alignment with the Democratic Party policy of exploiting racial insecurities, but it has gotten people debating the race based politics which is now not only the core value of the Democratic Party but the only value the Party has.

How about no college funding unless the professors are non-political and about half libs and half cons?
Any manipulation via grades or other pressure to a particular political viewpoint needs to be crushed.
If the professors are non political then how do you also do half libs and half cons?

How about no college funding unless the professors are non-political and about half libs and half cons?
Any manipulation via grades or other pressure to a particular political viewpoint needs to be crushed.
If the professors are non political then how do you also do half libs and half cons?
By voter registration, or interview. The way it is now profs are 95% Leftist democrats. We need a better balance.
I want professors to leave their personal political beliefs at home. Teach the kids to evaluate both sides fairly. Half the dollars the universities get are from conservatives, and they are not being represented fairly.

Good! I have to do enough teaching my kids real history after they come home with their heads filled with leftist propaganda.

I haven't read the curriculum for the 1619 project yet, although I understand that it is online. You apparently have. Is there anything in it that is not "real history"? If so, what?

Good! I have to do enough teaching my kids real history after they come home with their heads filled with leftist propaganda.

I haven't read the curriculum for the 1619 project yet, although I understand that it is online. You apparently have. Is there anything in it that is not "real history"? If so, what?

By voter registration, or interview. The way it is now profs are 95% Leftist democrats. We need a better balance.
I want professors to leave their personal political beliefs at home. Teach the kids to evaluate both sides fairly. Half the dollars the universities get are from conservatives, and they are not being represented fairly.
Sounds like more people on the Right need to get the education and the desire to become college professors.

Forum List

Back