Serious Rain in Houston

That's why I usually make it a weekend, get two days on the lake and splitting the drives makes it seem shorter. It's not worth going for one day.

Oh we always stayed the weekend at least.
The problem was all the maintenance. You'd spend eight hours cutting grass and doing odd jobs the first day and then you had to leave by four in the afternoon the next to get home at reasonable hour.

Lake houses and boats, it's much better to know people who own them than to own them yourself. I learned that lesson when I owned a 27' Bayliner Sport Fisherman in PR. The folks that went out with me had a blast, when their day was done, I still had a lot of work to do.

Oh I hear ya.
I will say my buddies always help out with the boat duties but it's kinda hard to ask for em to mow your grass.
We're looking for our retirement place at this point,it'll have nothing but acreage,waterfront,electricity and well water.
I'll leave the high maintenance stuff until we actually live there full time.

Sounds good, I actually had some water front property briefly the other day. Thank goodness is runs off pretty fast. But my house is on high ground and was never in jeopardy.

We got around thirteen inches but Cinco Ranch being relatively new construction didnt get any real flooding.
Although it was hilarious watching the kids in their inflatables boating down the sixth fairway from the back porch.

I have no idea how much we got here, not many rain gages here in the boonies, but I've seen it much worse, once I had a river running the length of my property north to south and only the back two acres on the south are considered in the flood plane. I really don't think we got more than 12-14 out of this one, but we are part of the Spring Creek watershed. A friend just rented a house backing Spring Creek, just the road was flooded this morning, but they had water in the house by 5PM, it had come up 4'.

Oh we always stayed the weekend at least.
The problem was all the maintenance. You'd spend eight hours cutting grass and doing odd jobs the first day and then you had to leave by four in the afternoon the next to get home at reasonable hour.

Lake houses and boats, it's much better to know people who own them than to own them yourself. I learned that lesson when I owned a 27' Bayliner Sport Fisherman in PR. The folks that went out with me had a blast, when their day was done, I still had a lot of work to do.

Oh I hear ya.
I will say my buddies always help out with the boat duties but it's kinda hard to ask for em to mow your grass.
We're looking for our retirement place at this point,it'll have nothing but acreage,waterfront,electricity and well water.

Sounds good, I actually had some water front property briefly the other day. Thank goodness is runs off pretty fast. But my house is on high ground and was never in jeopardy.

We got around thirteen inches but Cinco Ranch being relatively new construction didnt get any real flooding.
Although it was hilarious watching the kids in their inflatables boating down the sixth fairway from the back porch.

I have no idea how much we got here, not many rain gages here in the boonies, but I've seen it much worse, once I had a river running the length of my property north to south and only the back two acres on the south are considered in the flood plane. I really don't think we got more than 12-14 out of this one, but we are part of the Spring Creek watershed. A friend just rented a house backing Spring Creek, just the road was flooded this morning, but they had water in the house by 5PM, it had come up 4'.

Living to close to spring creek is a recipe for disaster since so many small creeks drain into it.
I remember as a kid snake hunting in the corp of engineers land in the Addicks reservoir. We'd walk through chest deep water with our shotguns and blast the shit out of water moccasins.
It was cool as hell until you brushed up against an island of fire ants.
Those bastards would swarm you like nobodies business.

Oh I hear ya.

Living to close to spring creek is a recipe for disaster since so many small creeks drain into it.
I remember as a kid snake hunting in the corp of engineers land in the Addicks reservoir. We'd walk through chest deep water with our shotguns and blast the shit out of water moccasins.

All I can say to that is, OUCH! Looks like the rain will hold off for tonight, was out a bit ago, saw nothing but moon and stars.

Oh I hear ya.

All I can say to that is, OUCH! Looks like the rain will hold off for tonight, was out a bit ago, saw nothing but moon and stars.

Man I hope so.We got a few inches today but they are expecting 6 to 8 when the backside of the the low pressure out of New Mexico comes through tomorrow or Thursday.

Man I hope so.We got a few inches today but they are expecting 6 to 8 when the backside of the the low pressure out of New Mexico comes through tomorrow or Thursday.

They're not forecasting anything tomorrow till after noon, hopefully it will go through quick, but I have to go to the VA in Conroe tomorrow after noon and then to WallieWorld, I hope it's not raining too hard.

They're not forecasting anything tomorrow till after noon, hopefully it will go through quick, but I have to go to the VA in Conroe tomorrow after noon and then to WallieWorld, I hope it's not raining too hard.

I'd expect you'll be fine even if it does rain.
But if you can postpone till Friday it's supposed to clear out altogether and be sunny.

But if you can postpone till Friday it's supposed to clear out altogether and be sunny.

Unfortunately I can't, but my 1 ton gets around pretty good.

It's always good to drive a capable vehicle.

Yep, she's an 05 with 474K on her, but she gets the job done. I used to drive commercially.

Yep, she's an 05 with 474K on her, but she gets the job done. I used to drive commercially.

Damn!!!! I'd say you've got your monies worth out of the old girl!!
I assume she's a diesel?
The only vehicle I've seen more miles out of was the wifes 300d Mercedes five cylinder.
It went over 500k before we decided she was done.
It had the touring package with the forty five gallon tank,she filled it up once a month for chump change in those days.
I loved the hell out of that car for road trips.

Was there during TS Allison. That was 2002 I think. Greens Bayou received 30 inches. Climate change deniers are kidding themselves.

So what caused the 43 inches of rain that fell on Alvin in 79?
Or this flood in Houston...
1024x1024.jpg

Or this one...
1024x1024.jpg

Or perhaps this one...
1024x1024.jpg

I guess you should consider this this one as well.....
1024x1024.jpg

Damn!!!! I'd say you've got your monies worth out of the old girl!!
I assume she's a diesel?
The only vehicle I've seen more miles out of was the wifes 300d Mercedes five cylinder.
It went over 500k before we decided she was done.
It had the touring package with the forty five gallon tank,she filled it up once a month for chump change in those days.
I loved the hell out of that car for road trips.

Yep, the duramax engine and allison trans have been workhorses, I just wish she rode like a Mercedes instead of a truck. Looks like the rain came early this morning, but they're only talking about an inch or so, shouldn't bee too bad.

Was there during TS Allison. That was 2002 I think. Greens Bayou received 30 inches. Climate change deniers are kidding themselves.

Tropical storms dumping a lot of rain like allison did when it parked itself over a small area. Had nothing to do with warming.

Forum List

Back