🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Serious?

Biggest concern:

Mental health crisis and its impact on our students and education.

I'd love an explanation of how the current generation of kids are somehow having a crisis?

Why invest money for some kid to become a musician? How does that help us out?

But sports are important. Kids are too soft. Gym should continue to be a part of school. In case we ever have a war.

what about the 101st bagpipe battalion?
220px-Scotishadvanceepsom.jpg

If you were an accomplished musician and I (for some foolish reason) tried to denigrate music instruction in school as a waste of time - a position obviously informed in large part by my own inexperience with music - then your opinion would be more valid than mine, and if I had a lick of sense I would listen to you about something you know much more about than I do.

i'm a musician , no i'm not going to quit my day job, thx.

But this sports/arts thing is obviously skewed.

Let me put it this way, i learned to wrestle and play music {insert any art form} in HS, which do you think you'll be able to do middle aged?

~

Both

Biggest concern:

I'd love an explanation of how the current generation of kids are somehow having a crisis?

But sports are important. Kids are too soft. Gym should continue to be a part of school. In case we ever have a war.

If you were an accomplished musician and I (for some foolish reason) tried to denigrate music instruction in school as a waste of time - a position obviously informed in large part by my own inexperience with music - then your opinion would be more valid than mine, and if I had a lick of sense I would listen to you about something you know much more about than I do.

Let me put it this way, i learned to wrestle and play music {insert any art form} in HS, which do you think you'll be able to do middle aged?

~

Both

My dad was one of those East European wrestler types. When we were kids he taught my brothers and me how to wrestle properly. I never lost a fight but never actually hurt anyone seriously(pride maybe). Now I still know the moves and teach the grandkids. It's a healthy sport and is excellent for self defense. I do wish I had continued my guitar training but alas it was not to be. But I encouraged the kids and littlies as much as I can.

But dad being an Eastern Euro EDUCATION was the main event, especially the Maths and Sciences. I did develop a reading habit very young so am an avid reader but I can't stand modern writing. Give me the classics any day.

Greg

Because the schedule requires you travel to these schools to play away games. Whether or not your budget is capable of it--if the price of diesel is $5 a gallon or $8 a gallon, you still have to make the trip. ......

If some place is too far it will not be put on the schedule. Athletic schedules are not handed down from the mountaintop on stone tablets. And I don't know where you live that buses run on diesel....
Bullshit. For some reason every year we had a tournament in Holt, Michigan. Google how far novi, Michigan is from holt.

At least we could limit our travel to just our district.

If they were serious about saving money they’d rethink the long travel

Because the schedule requires you travel to these schools to play away games. Whether or not your budget is capable of it--if the price of diesel is $5 a gallon or $8 a gallon, you still have to make the trip. ......

If some place is too far it will not be put on the schedule. Athletic schedules are not handed down from the mountaintop on stone tablets. And I don't know where you live that buses run on diesel....
Michigan

I just never drank the kool aid and forgot why we have schools in the first place. .....

Yes, for education. As has been explained to you several times now, physical education is and always has been an important part of education.

As has been asked of you....why do you have to send teams 1,000 miles a season to do it?

You do know kids from the same schools can play one another, right?
But then you won’t get the competition.

The varsity guys have no competition in their own schools.

.... Your classmate can provide competition.

Not really. Not of the same sort.
Why can't a classmate provide competition?

Motivation, community, commitment.

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

Commitment? You can't be committed to beating a classmate?

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.
Well she does have a good point. Right after a big game I always feel a little silly. Okay my team won, or lost. So what? I was just so emotionally involved a minute ago but now it seems silly unless you’re on the team.

Biggest concern:

~

Both

My dad was one of those East European wrestler types. When we were kids he taught my brothers and me how to wrestle properly. I never lost a fight but never actually hurt anyone seriously(pride maybe). Now I still know the moves and teach the grandkids. It's a healthy sport and is excellent for self defense. I do wish I had continued my guitar training but alas it was not to be. But I encouraged the kids and littlies as much as I can.

But dad being an Eastern Euro EDUCATION was the main event, especially the Maths and Sciences. I did develop a reading habit very young so am an avid reader but I can't stand modern writing. Give me the classics any day.

Greg
So true. I never hurt anyone in a fight after I learned to wrestle. A wrestler knows when he’s got his opponent down. Now I may smack them to embarrass them or scissor squeeze their stomach while I ask them what they were thinking.

I learned how to play guitar when I was 35.

The games are meaningless. Its the nature of something being a game.

So you can't come up with any reason other than some ephemeral meaning you attach to games that many spectators cannot recall a few days later.

Thanks.

iu

Seriously, just because you have some deep-seated abnormal problem with team sports doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to developing children. Always picked last for Red Rover were you? Apparently the whole country disagrees with you and has for decades, so you can fuck off with that idiocy.

What ever you say fuck stain.
“Sports are a critical component of a healthy community. They help children and adults maintain a healthy weight, teach acceptance and teamwork, and expand opportunity for children living in poverty,” said Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD, President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. “This poll indicates that we must continue to encourage children to play sports, but just as important, we must find ways to keep adults engaged in sports in order to maintain health and well-being.”

From that same article. Seems you want sluggards and porkies.

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Sports are important. Traveling across the state to play them isn't.
The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....
Not the same standard attained. Not the same commitment, not the same satisfaction.

Greg

You don't sweat as much to maintain a healthy weight unless you're playing someone from a different school?

I didn't make the laws of physics but I'm pretty sure they would agree that you do.

I just never drank the kool aid and forgot why we have schools in the first place. .....

Yes, for education. As has been explained to you several times now, physical education is and always has been an important part of education.

As has been asked of you....why do you have to send teams 1,000 miles a season to do it?

Sure they do...other varsity guys.

Have you noticed a lot of people who know the subject better than you trying to inform you while you just repeat your uninformed bias over and over again? Shouldn’t that tell you something?

Do teachers really goof off all summer and do nothing when they get home at 3:30?

Have you noticed a lot of people who know the subject better than you trying to inform you while you just repeat your uninformed bias over and over again? Shouldn’t that tell you something?

No. I have noticed people preaching the same false bromides that you did. Quick question: do you recall what your high school volleyball team’s record was in your sophomore year? Probably not. Those who played probably do not recall it either? Because the competitions do not matter. Five years from now, the games played tonight will be forgotten.

The physical fitness will (hopefully) linger on. The scores? No. The records? No. Your silly argument that they do? It will still be silly 5 years from now.

The same physical fitness can be achieved by playing others from the same school in the school’s gymnasium.

But please try to convince us (as the others have) that somehow playing a person in a different colored jersey is somehow more meaningful. It’s a good source of laughter.

When they travel across state it is usually for title games. Unless they get that far, it doesn’t happen. And yes, those games are particularly remembered for decades afterwards.
Sports also makes those kids work even harder, because if they don’t make the grades, they don’t play. It teaches them community, how to work together to achieve a goal. They learn to fundraise, to focus, time management skills, etc. they learn the power of working hard to achieve a goal, etc. they become more well rounded, and healthier.
Your idea of playing your own student body over and over, teaches no skills, after a couple of games. They learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses and never are challenged. And if you think it would lower costs, you’re nuts. Another coach would have to be hired, as you can’t have the same coach for two teams playing each other.
51% of kids that played competitive sports go on to earn over $60 grand a year.

The Greatest High School Football Game Ever - D Magazine
1994 John Tyler vs. Plano East high school football game - Wikipedia
The greatest high school football game. Ever.

Here again you expose your bias and, frankly, blockheadedness, in the use of the word "meaningless."

Just because your life experiences and limited intelligence prevent you from seeing the meaning in competitive sport, this does not indicate that such meaning is not there. All money could be spent on other resources, but some money will be spent on sports no matter how bitter your impotence grows.

So you can't come up with any reason other than some ephemeral meaning you attach to games that many spectators cannot recall a few days later.

Thanks.

iu

Seriously, just because you have some deep-seated abnormal problem with team sports doesn't mean they aren't beneficial to developing children. Always picked last for Red Rover were you? Apparently the whole country disagrees with you and has for decades, so you can fuck off with that idiocy.

“Sports are a critical component of a healthy community. They help children and adults maintain a healthy weight, teach acceptance and teamwork, and expand opportunity for children living in poverty,” said Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD, President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. “This poll indicates that we must continue to encourage children to play sports, but just as important, we must find ways to keep adults engaged in sports in order to maintain health and well-being.”

Greg

Don't be stupid.

The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....

Last edited:

I would have never reached my potential in wrestling had I just stayed inside my own high school.

I agree stay close but you have to wrestle other schools. One week they come to you, one week you go to another school. But stay close to cut down on gas. Then at the end of the year there is a district tournament for everyone local. Whoever wins moves on to the next week, regionals. At this point the coach can drive the kids in a minivan. Then the state tournament. I went with the 2 coaches and me to the state finals.

At least you have to find out who the best of the best is. But that's just once at the end of the year. Districts is close, regionals might be a little farther and everyone goes to the Kellogg Center for the State finals

KelloggArena4-823x420.jpg

I would have never reached my potential in wrestling had I just stayed inside my own high school.

I agree stay close but you have to wrestle other schools. One week they come to you, one week you go to another school. But stay close to cut down on gas. Then at the end of the year there is a district tournament for everyone local. Whoever wins moves on to the next week, regionals. At this point the coach can drive the kids in a minivan. Then the state tournament. I went with the 2 coaches and me to the state finals.

At least you have to find out who the best of the best is. But that's just once at the end of the year. Districts is close, regionals might be a little farther and everyone goes to the Kellogg Center for the State finals

Wrestlers were sick freaks in my HS

Doing bizarre things to make weight. Coaches didn’t care as long as they made weight

Essentially that is what I’m saying. My high school played games in what they call the “golden triangle” over in SE Texas (Beaumont). The round trip from the high school was about 200 miles from Houston. There are something like 70 high schools in the Houston area that are in the same division that they could have played.

But while we’re on the topic…I don’t see the point in any of it really.

A). A student not reaching their potential as a wrestler or swimmer or discus thrower is hardly a mortal setback for that kid.

B). If you’re a serious wrestler, or swimmer, or discus thrower….you have alternatives that do not necessitate the District fielding a swimming team or track team or whatever.

C). If you’re the best ________ in your school, that would mean that every other athlete in that sport is competing against a superior athlete and is “reaching their potential”. So what’s the problem?

Okay, who was your State HS wrestling champion in 2009? I’m sure you must remember since it is so important. Not a wresting fan? Oh, okay….who was your your State HS Baskeball champion in 2009? Still don’t remember? Neither does anyone else. Those that do accidentally recall it likely don’t remember much.

Thanks for proving my point.

As for the playing one another…if you’re on the losing team, you mix up the teams, you try different strategies, you learn that you can’t rely on the star athlete to bail you out and that other players have to step up. That would actually teach children to work harder to achieve a goal.

It’s far better than taking a 70 mile bus ride to play a meaningless game most will quickly forget—just as you’re clueless about who the champions were in 2009.

Spending less saves money. Common sense.

When they travel across state it is usually for title games. Unless they get that far, it doesn’t happen. And yes, those games are particularly remembered for decades afterwards.
Sports also makes those kids work even harder, because if they don’t make the grades, they don’t play. It teaches them community, how to work together to achieve a goal. They learn to fundraise, to focus, time management skills, etc. they learn the power of working hard to achieve a goal, etc. they become more well rounded, and healthier.
Your idea of playing your own student body over and over, teaches no skills, after a couple of games. They learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses and never are challenged. And if you think it would lower costs, you’re nuts. Another coach would have to be hired, as you can’t have the same coach for two teams playing each other.

Thanks.

iu

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Well, you achieved your objective, to keep this from being about what teachers face in the classroom. High five yourself.
Okay, who was your State HS wrestling champion in 2009? I’m sure you must remember since it is so important. Not a wresting fan? Oh, okay….who was your your State HS Baskeball champion in 2009? Still don’t remember? Neither does anyone else. Those that do accidentally recall it likely don’t remember much.

Thanks for proving my point.

As for the playing one another…if you’re on the losing team, you mix up the teams, you try different strategies, you learn that you can’t rely on the star athlete to bail you out and that other players have to step up. That would actually teach children to work harder to achieve a goal.

It’s far better than taking a 70 mile bus ride to play a meaningless game most will quickly forget—just as you’re clueless about who the champions were in 2009.

Spending less saves money. Common sense.

iu

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Do teachers really goof off all summer and do nothing when they get home at 3:30?
Having teachers in the family, they have long days and summers, yes, for a short while, (not all summer) get to recover from the school year dealing with the demands of students and parents. The rest of the summer is dealing with meetings, lesson plans, etc. for the coming year.

Forum List

Back