šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

Serious?

Yes, for education. As has been explained to you several times now, physical education is and always has been an important part of education.

As has been asked of you....why do you have to send teams 1,000 miles a season to do it?

You do know kids from the same schools can play one another, right?
But then you wonā€™t get the competition.

The varsity guys have no competition in their own schools.

Sure they do...other varsity guys.
I would have never reached my potential in wrestling had I just stayed inside my own high school.

I agree stay close but you have to wrestle other schools. One week they come to you, one week you go to another school. But stay close to cut down on gas. Then at the end of the year there is a district tournament for everyone local. Whoever wins moves on to the next week, regionals. At this point the coach can drive the kids in a minivan. Then the state tournament. I went with the 2 coaches and me to the state finals.

At least you have to find out who the best of the best is. But that's just once at the end of the year. Districts is close, regionals might be a little farther and everyone goes to the Kellogg Center for the State finals

KelloggArena4-823x420.jpg
Wrestlers were sick freaks in my HS

Doing bizarre things to make weight. Coaches didnā€™t care as long as they made weight

Yeah, they canā€™t do that anymore. There are rules in place to prevent hard cutting.

Well, you achieved your objective, to keep this from being about what teachers face in the classroom. High five yourself.
Okay, who was your State HS wrestling champion in 2009? Iā€™m sure you must remember since it is so important. Not a wresting fan? Oh, okayā€¦.who was your your State HS Baskeball champion in 2009? Still donā€™t remember? Neither does anyone else. Those that do accidentally recall it likely donā€™t remember much.

Thanks for proving my point.

As for the playing one anotherā€¦if youā€™re on the losing team, you mix up the teams, you try different strategies, you learn that you canā€™t rely on the star athlete to bail you out and that other players have to step up. That would actually teach children to work harder to achieve a goal.

Itā€™s far better than taking a 70 mile bus ride to play a meaningless game most will quickly forgetā€”just as youā€™re clueless about who the champions were in 2009.

Spending less saves money. Common sense.

When they travel across state it is usually for title games. Unless they get that far, it doesnā€™t happen. And yes, those games are particularly remembered for decades afterwards.
Sports also makes those kids work even harder, because if they donā€™t make the grades, they donā€™t play. It teaches them community, how to work together to achieve a goal. They learn to fundraise, to focus, time management skills, etc. they learn the power of working hard to achieve a goal, etc. they become more well rounded, and healthier.
Your idea of playing your own student body over and over, teaches no skills, after a couple of games. They learn each otherā€™s strengths and weaknesses and never are challenged. And if you think it would lower costs, youā€™re nuts. Another coach would have to be hired, as you canā€™t have the same coach for two teams playing each other.
51% of kids that played competitive sports go on to earn over $60 grand a year.

The Greatest High School Football Game Ever - D Magazine
1994 John Tyler vs. Plano East high school football game - Wikipedia
The greatest high school football game. Ever.

What ever you say fuck stain.
ā€œSports are a critical component of a healthy community. They help children and adults maintain a healthy weight, teach acceptance and teamwork, and expand opportunity for children living in poverty,ā€ said Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, MD, President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. ā€œThis poll indicates that we must continue to encourage children to play sports, but just as important, we must find ways to keep adults engaged in sports in order to maintain health and well-being.ā€

From that same article. Seems you want sluggards and porkies.

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Sports are important. Traveling across the state to play them isn't.
The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....

And despite all the bizarre bitterness, sport will continue to be an important part of education and American culture.

Do teachers really goof off all summer and do nothing when they get home at 3:30?

No.

What do they do?
I remember when I was in HS in the 70s. Teachers made the same claim about how hard they worked in the off hours

I saw most grading papers in free periods. I had after school activities so I saw them leave 15 min after the last bell and they didnā€™t seem to carry much with them

When my kids went to school, I saw many more computerized work that mostly graded itself.

How much work does a gym teacher, music or art teacher take home with them?

As has been asked of you....why do you have to send teams 1,000 miles a season to do it?

I would have never reached my potential in wrestling had I just stayed inside my own high school.

I agree stay close but you have to wrestle other schools. One week they come to you, one week you go to another school. But stay close to cut down on gas. Then at the end of the year there is a district tournament for everyone local. Whoever wins moves on to the next week, regionals. At this point the coach can drive the kids in a minivan. Then the state tournament. I went with the 2 coaches and me to the state finals.

At least you have to find out who the best of the best is. But that's just once at the end of the year. Districts is close, regionals might be a little farther and everyone goes to the Kellogg Center for the State finals

Doing bizarre things to make weight. Coaches didnā€™t care as long as they made weight

Yeah, they canā€™t do that anymore. There are rules in place to prevent hard cutting.
Good to hear. I saw wrestlers doing some dangerous things to make weight. Coach would tell them he wanted them to wrestle in a lower weight class next week and it was up to the wrestler to do what was necessary

Yes, for education. As has been explained to you several times now, physical education is and always has been an important part of education.

My coach knew I was wearing plastics underneath 5 sweatshirts. That wasn't allowed but for me no big deal because I was still healthy at 150 pounds. In fact I was metro detroit powerlifting champ that year. 505 deadlift, 405 squat and 350 bench press. You don't lift that kind of weight unless you are a healthy boy. Thin I wasn't. I was a beast!

Do teachers really goof off all summer and do nothing when they get home at 3:30?

No.

What do they do?
I remember when I was in HS in the 70s. Teachers made the same claim about how hard they worked in the off hours

I saw most grading papers in free periods. I had after school activities so I saw them leave 15 min after the last bell and they didnā€™t seem to carry much with them

When my kids went to school, I saw many more computerized work that mostly graded itself.

I know teachers in the dog park. They aren't working that much from home. They get tons of time off and glow/brag about it when we make comments. And they don't take second jobs in the summer. Still they make what $70K? Ridiculous. Even $60K is plenty. If I made $60K and had summers off I certainly wouldn't work summers unless I loved the summer gig.

My sister in law doesn't work in the summer. She buys a ticket to Greece and she's there for at least 3 months. She's gonna get a pension so she doesn't have to save money.

Yes, teachers made more when we were growing up. Guys like Unkotare don't realize by voting Republican they've voted to cut teachers wages. Unions are being broken/challenged. Unions are powerless. Can't even strike anymore. The teachers union is next and he thinks he will do better once unions are gone? God I wish the GOP would break the teachers unions.

Good to hear. I saw wrestlers doing some dangerous things to make weight. Coach would tell them he wanted them to wrestle in a lower weight class next week and it was up to the wrestler to do what was necessary

Besides wearing plastics (illegal) on top of 5 sweatshirts I would chew tobacco and spit a lot. And not eat very much. But I always ate something and I always had 1 day a week I would eat like a pig. Cheat day.

Besides wearing plastics (illegal) on top of 5 sweatshirts I would chew tobacco and spit a lot. And not eat very much. But I always ate something and I always had 1 day a week I would eat like a pig. Cheat day.
I used to see them loading up on laxitives and forcing themselves to puke before weigh in

I used to see them loading up on laxitives and forcing themselves to puke before weigh in

Why would they eat before weigh in? Dummies.

I remember eating after weigh in and I almost lost the match I was so loaded with spagetti and meat sauce. Probably the worst thing they could have fed us right before a match but who knew in the 1980's?

I love it that Republicans used the Great Recession to really stick it to teachers like Unkotare and that other Republican/Teacher lady on these boards who votes Republican because of abortion.

Why America's Teachers Haven't Been Getting Raises

It's not just educators in West Virginia and Oklahoma who have watched their wages and benefits erode since the Great Recession.

Larry Cagle is angry. At 54 years of age, he makes $34,500 a year teaching critical-reading skills to public high-school students in Tulsa, Oklahoma. ā€œI do construction and lawn maintenance in the summerā€ to make ends meet, he said. ā€œI moved here from Florida five years ago, and in Florida I made $25,000 a year more.ā€

He talked about the number of public-school teachers he knew working second jobs on nights and weekends, flipping burgers or hauling luggage at the airport. Teachers digging into their own pockets to pay for studentsā€™ basic needs and classroom supplies. Teachers living in cars, taking out loans, panhandling for more money, struggling to pay their own bills. ā€œMy school is one of the highest-performing schools in the state,ā€ he said, estimating that two in three of the teachers he had worked with in the past half decade had left for other jobs or retired. ā€œThese are primary positions, not ancillary positions. This is math, science, foreign language, arts, history. We had two teachers who just walked out [and quit] recently.ā€

Why can't a classmate provide competition?

Motivation, community, commitment.

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

Commitment? You can't be committed to beating a classmate?

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

Read this. Do you know what this says? This says that union you are in protected you from taking major pay cuts or being fired. You should thank god for the union that you don't pay into but still defends your sorry ass.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, teachers were spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses in the Great Recession. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have. You can't have it both ways. You want a safe government job but you also want to make what we in the private sector make?

Granted, by many measures and in many places, teaching remains a solidly middle-class profession. Government data shows that the average teacher earns about $59,000 a year, with many school districts offering good benefits and generous retirement plans. Andrew Biggs, an economist at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, pushed against the notion that teachers are broadly underpaid. ā€œItā€™s a good and a very family-friendly job,ā€ citing its reasonable hours and long summer break. ā€œWhy should you pay them more?

I am really old school, and we Wayback in the day it was pretty crazy. We used to do some very unadvisable things to make weight. When I was in college I remember hearing of two or three kids who died when they went into renal failure.

No.

What do they do?

I know teachers in the dog park. They aren't working that much from home. They get tons of time off and glow/brag about it when we make comments. And they don't take second jobs in the summer. ....

Unimpeachable source that the dog park is aside, all of that is ridiculously untrue. People love to talk about things that they know nothing about.

In real wrestling in the real 1980s in Division I NCAA, we would weigh in the night before a match. This encouraged all manner of unhealthy practices in order to cut weight, and then the nearly equally unhealthy practice of gorging oneself right after weigh ins to try and pack on as much before the actual match began. We had an agreement with a pizza place on campus and every time we would weigh-in We could eat as much as we wanted free of charge. Looking back on it now, it was all pretty disgusting. Angry emaciated very very hungry wrestlers diving in like wild animals to greasy pizza and piles of spaghetti and subs and just random chunks of meat like some kind of caveman feeding frenzy. And for any of you who are familiar with biology, you can guess what happened a lot right after that. Sometimes I would step on the mat almost 30 pounds heavier than what I had weighed in just the night before. Doing this over and over and over again for years and years did not have a beneficial effect on health and physiology. But you do what you Gotta do.

No.

What do they do?

I know teachers in the dog park. They aren't working that much from home. They get tons of time off and glow/brag about it when we make comments. And they don't take second jobs in the summer. ....

Unimpeachable source that the dog park is aside, all of that is ridiculously untrue. People love to talk about things that they know nothing about.
You mean it's impossible there are teachers who don't take that much work home with them?

It's impossible they don't have second jobs?

What's untrue Unk?

Motivation, community, commitment.

Motivation should come from within. If sports teaches you anything it is that. You can't be motivated to beat a classmate?

Community? How does a sports team build community? It may build commarodarie (sp?) within the team but it doesn't build "community"

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

Read this. Do you know what this says? This says that union you are in protected you from taking major pay cuts or being fired. You should thank god for the union that you don't pay into but still defends your sorry ass.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, teachers were spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses in the Great Recession. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have. You can't have it both ways. You want a safe government job but you also want to make what we in the private sector make?

Granted, by many measures and in many places, teaching remains a solidly middle-class profession. Government data shows that the average teacher earns about $59,000 a year, with many school districts offering good benefits and generous retirement plans. Andrew Biggs, an economist at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, pushed against the notion that teachers are broadly underpaid. ā€œItā€™s a good and a very family-friendly job,ā€ citing its reasonable hours and long summer break. ā€œWhy should you pay them more?

You have a chip on your shoulder about teachers and also say really, deeply ignorant things about education. Stunningly ignorant things.

I don't belong to the NEA or, of course, my local union and I don't want to speak to you about education.

Well, you achieved your objective, to keep this from being about what teachers face in the classroom. High five yourself.
Okay, who was your State HS wrestling champion in 2009? Iā€™m sure you must remember since it is so important. Not a wresting fan? Oh, okayā€¦.who was your your State HS Baskeball champion in 2009? Still donā€™t remember? Neither does anyone else. Those that do accidentally recall it likely donā€™t remember much.

Thanks for proving my point.

As for the playing one anotherā€¦if youā€™re on the losing team, you mix up the teams, you try different strategies, you learn that you canā€™t rely on the star athlete to bail you out and that other players have to step up. That would actually teach children to work harder to achieve a goal.

Itā€™s far better than taking a 70 mile bus ride to play a meaningless game most will quickly forgetā€”just as youā€™re clueless about who the champions were in 2009.

Spending less saves money. Common sense.

When they travel across state it is usually for title games. Unless they get that far, it doesnā€™t happen. And yes, those games are particularly remembered for decades afterwards.
Sports also makes those kids work even harder, because if they donā€™t make the grades, they donā€™t play. It teaches them community, how to work together to achieve a goal. They learn to fundraise, to focus, time management skills, etc. they learn the power of working hard to achieve a goal, etc. they become more well rounded, and healthier.
Your idea of playing your own student body over and over, teaches no skills, after a couple of games. They learn each otherā€™s strengths and weaknesses and never are challenged. And if you think it would lower costs, youā€™re nuts. Another coach would have to be hired, as you canā€™t have the same coach for two teams playing each other.
51% of kids that played competitive sports go on to earn over $60 grand a year.

The Greatest High School Football Game Ever - D Magazine
1994 John Tyler vs. Plano East high school football game - Wikipedia
The greatest high school football game. Ever.

From that same article. Seems you want sluggards and porkies.

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Sports are important. Traveling across the state to play them isn't.
The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....

And despite all the bizarre bitterness, sport will continue to be an important part of education and American culture.

And the frustrated impotent awkward uncoordinated weaklings who are so threatened by sport and all of the great American traditions associated with it will just have to eat shit.

You have a chip on your shoulder about teachers and also say really, deeply ignorant things about education. Stunningly ignorant things.

I don't belong to the NEA or, of course, my local union and I don't want to speak to you about education.

I don't. I have a chip on my shoulder regarding conservative teachers who don't realize they are why their pay isn't enough, dumb fucker.

upload_2019-4-22_16-49-25.jpeg

I don't say the things about teachers I just repeat

Why America's Teachers Haven't Been Getting Raises

The successful two-week-long strike of public-school workers in West Virginiaā€”as well as the imminent strike of teachers in Oklahoma, led by grassroots activists, including Cagleā€”has thrown into relief the financial difficulties that thousands of education professionals face. Yet those difficulties are not unique to those two states. Despite the perception that educator jobs are unionized, pay decently well, and are guaranteed-tenure, hundreds of thousands of American teachers have seen their wages and benefits erode in recent years, more so than for many other types of workers.

It's true many of you didn't lose your jobs during the recession because you are unionized. But your pay also hasn't gone up because you are a government union employee.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, such employees were largely spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have, either, with public finances still squeezed, public workforces still smaller than their pre-recession peak, and local government officials still hesitant to make critical investments in their workforces and infrastructure.

These teachers should be fired for striking. And striking is the only way you'll ever get a raise lady so I hope they break the unions and cut out the old hags like you who are too old and burned out and ugly.

Forum List

Back