🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Serious?

Well, you achieved your objective, to keep this from being about what teachers face in the classroom. High five yourself.
Okay, who was your State HS wrestling champion in 2009? I’m sure you must remember since it is so important. Not a wresting fan? Oh, okay….who was your your State HS Baskeball champion in 2009? Still don’t remember? Neither does anyone else. Those that do accidentally recall it likely don’t remember much.

Thanks for proving my point.

As for the playing one another…if you’re on the losing team, you mix up the teams, you try different strategies, you learn that you can’t rely on the star athlete to bail you out and that other players have to step up. That would actually teach children to work harder to achieve a goal.

It’s far better than taking a 70 mile bus ride to play a meaningless game most will quickly forget—just as you’re clueless about who the champions were in 2009.

Spending less saves money. Common sense.

When they travel across state it is usually for title games. Unless they get that far, it doesn’t happen. And yes, those games are particularly remembered for decades afterwards.
Sports also makes those kids work even harder, because if they don’t make the grades, they don’t play. It teaches them community, how to work together to achieve a goal. They learn to fundraise, to focus, time management skills, etc. they learn the power of working hard to achieve a goal, etc. they become more well rounded, and healthier.
Your idea of playing your own student body over and over, teaches no skills, after a couple of games. They learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses and never are challenged. And if you think it would lower costs, you’re nuts. Another coach would have to be hired, as you can’t have the same coach for two teams playing each other.
51% of kids that played competitive sports go on to earn over $60 grand a year.

The Greatest High School Football Game Ever - D Magazine
1994 John Tyler vs. Plano East high school football game - Wikipedia
The greatest high school football game. Ever.

From that same article. Seems you want sluggards and porkies.

Greg

Don't be stupid.

Sports are important. Traveling across the state to play them isn't.
The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....

And despite all the bizarre bitterness, sport will continue to be an important part of education and American culture.

We agree it isn’t going anywhere. What you can’t justify is the outsized costs of the sports. It’s okay…nobody can.

Well, you achieved your objective, to keep this from being about what teachers face in the classroom. High five yourself.
Okay, who was your State HS wrestling champion in 2009? I’m sure you must remember since it is so important. Not a wresting fan? Oh, okay….who was your your State HS Baskeball champion in 2009? Still don’t remember? Neither does anyone else. Those that do accidentally recall it likely don’t remember much.

As for the playing one another…if you’re on the losing team, you mix up the teams, you try different strategies, you learn that you can’t rely on the star athlete to bail you out and that other players have to step up. That would actually teach children to work harder to achieve a goal.

It’s far better than taking a 70 mile bus ride to play a meaningless game most will quickly forget—just as you’re clueless about who the champions were in 2009.

When they travel across state it is usually for title games. Unless they get that far, it doesn’t happen. And yes, those games are particularly remembered for decades afterwards.
Sports also makes those kids work even harder, because if they don’t make the grades, they don’t play. It teaches them community, how to work together to achieve a goal. They learn to fundraise, to focus, time management skills, etc. they learn the power of working hard to achieve a goal, etc. they become more well rounded, and healthier.
Your idea of playing your own student body over and over, teaches no skills, after a couple of games. They learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses and never are challenged. And if you think it would lower costs, you’re nuts. Another coach would have to be hired, as you can’t have the same coach for two teams playing each other.

Don't be stupid.

The games that are played are meaningless once they get there. Play your classmates. Same activities, same "lessons" learned, same calories burned....

And despite all the bizarre bitterness, sport will continue to be an important part of education and American culture.

We agree it isn’t going anywhere. What you can’t justify is the outsized costs of the sports. It’s okay…nobody can.

Justifies itself, as has been explained to you many many times on this thread.

Don't be stupid.

And the frustrated impotent awkward uncoordinated weaklings who are so threatened by sport and all of the great American traditions associated with it will just have to eat shit.

Just asking you to justify the costs. Forty posts later….all you have offered is insults in place of facts.

Wow… Imagine if you hadn’t played high school sports. I’m sure a response like that would have been much less insipid. Oh wait… you did and it is.

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

Read this. Do you know what this says? This says that union you are in protected you from taking major pay cuts or being fired. You should thank god for the union that you don't pay into but still defends your sorry ass.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, teachers were spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses in the Great Recession. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have. You can't have it both ways. You want a safe government job but you also want to make what we in the private sector make?

Granted, by many measures and in many places, teaching remains a solidly middle-class profession. Government data shows that the average teacher earns about $59,000 a year, with many school districts offering good benefits and generous retirement plans. Andrew Biggs, an economist at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, pushed against the notion that teachers are broadly underpaid. “It’s a good and a very family-friendly job,” citing its reasonable hours and long summer break. “Why should you pay them more?

You have a chip on your shoulder about teachers and also say really, deeply ignorant things about education. Stunningly ignorant things.

I don't belong to the NEA or, of course, my local union and I don't want to speak to you about education.

I don't. I have a chip on my shoulder regarding conservative teachers who don't realize they are why their pay isn't enough, dumb fucker.

View attachment 257316

But yet you complain your sister in law is paid TOO MUCH.

There is so much stunning ignorance in this string of posts it almost takes my breath away.

Just for one nugget: "games no one remembers a few days later". Yeah. That's why there are sports networks dedicated to playing and re-playing games people are still talking about decades later. That's why people save up money and spend their precious money on all kinds of "game" stuff.

You're like one of those people who don't "get it" and so moan about why it is, instead of ATTEMPTING to get it. Sucks to be you.

They replay high school football games on sports networks? Yep...you're exhibiting the stunning ignorance.

You're missing the point on purpose because you can't debate the larger point. Because you've already lost.

Read this. Do you know what this says? This says that union you are in protected you from taking major pay cuts or being fired. You should thank god for the union that you don't pay into but still defends your sorry ass.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, teachers were spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses in the Great Recession. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have. You can't have it both ways. You want a safe government job but you also want to make what we in the private sector make?

Granted, by many measures and in many places, teaching remains a solidly middle-class profession. Government data shows that the average teacher earns about $59,000 a year, with many school districts offering good benefits and generous retirement plans. Andrew Biggs, an economist at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, pushed against the notion that teachers are broadly underpaid. “It’s a good and a very family-friendly job,” citing its reasonable hours and long summer break. “Why should you pay them more?

You have a chip on your shoulder about teachers and also say really, deeply ignorant things about education. Stunningly ignorant things.

I don't belong to the NEA or, of course, my local union and I don't want to speak to you about education.

I don't say the things about teachers I just repeat

Why America's Teachers Haven't Been Getting Raises

The successful two-week-long strike of public-school workers in West Virginia—as well as the imminent strike of teachers in Oklahoma, led by grassroots activists, including Cagle—has thrown into relief the financial difficulties that thousands of education professionals face. Yet those difficulties are not unique to those two states. Despite the perception that educator jobs are unionized, pay decently well, and are guaranteed-tenure, hundreds of thousands of American teachers have seen their wages and benefits erode in recent years, more so than for many other types of workers.

It's true many of you didn't lose your jobs during the recession because you are unionized. But your pay also hasn't gone up because you are a government union employee.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, such employees were largely spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have, either, with public finances still squeezed, public workforces still smaller than their pre-recession peak, and local government officials still hesitant to make critical investments in their workforces and infrastructure.

These teachers should be fired for striking. And striking is the only way you'll ever get a raise lady so I hope they break the unions and cut out the old hags like you who are too old and burned out and ugly.

You're a wonderful liberal. Really, you're perfect.

"Old, burned out and ugly."

Yep, that's perfect. You make a great case for what qualifies a person to be a teacher. You're as ignorant as I suspected--more so, actually.

Those who believe it’s necessary to spend taxpayer money to send kids 300 miles (round trip) to play a soccer match or take part in a badminton tournament probably also believe this idiocy from the Girl Scouts about their cookies….

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 4.15.06 PM.png

Yeah… Selling cookies outside of Wal*Mart teaches you business ethics!!!!

Those who believe it’s necessary to spend taxpayer money to send kids 300 miles (round trip) to play a soccer match or take part in a badminton tournament probably also believe this idiocy from the Girl Scouts about their cookies….

View attachment 257318

They make a fortune off of those little girls and their obsessive parents

I learned how to play guitar when I was 35.

I had my first lesson 50 odd years ago, stil play, and play out, i could eat for a week off one gig

I highly doubt my wrestling skills would grant me the same

~S~

Great on the guitar part. The sports I played in HS were fun and the hobbies I learned are fantastic. Sports, hobbies, and competition are important. What isn’t important is the final score. What isn’t necessary is shipping a kid across the state to participate.

You learn discipline and techniques (or at least I did) from coaches, strategies from mentors, and teamwork if you’re on a team. You can learn that on campus

View attachment 257318

They make a fortune off of those little girls and their obsessive parents

Yes they do.

One can learn disciple and technique , with similar mentors in the arts Candy

Fact is, the field is every bit as competitive

~S~

Wow… Imagine if you hadn’t played high school sports. I’m sure a response like that would have been much less insipid. ....

Why?

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

Yes. Why not start teaching a foreign language in pre-k? Why not start teaching Excel in 9th grade? Why don’t you teach skills like networking, public speaking, and negotiation?

Thank you

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

Yes. Why not start teaching a foreign language in pre-k? ....

Thank you

Good idea. Some kids get that at home.

I don't say the things about teachers I just repeat

Why America's Teachers Haven't Been Getting Raises

The successful two-week-long strike of public-school workers in West Virginia—as well as the imminent strike of teachers in Oklahoma, led by grassroots activists, including Cagle—has thrown into relief the financial difficulties that thousands of education professionals face. Yet those difficulties are not unique to those two states. Despite the perception that educator jobs are unionized, pay decently well, and are guaranteed-tenure, hundreds of thousands of American teachers have seen their wages and benefits erode in recent years, more so than for many other types of workers.

It's true many of you didn't lose your jobs during the recession because you are unionized. But your pay also hasn't gone up because you are a government union employee.

Because of the stable nature of government employment, such employees were largely spared the worst of the layoffs and wage cuts that afflicted private businesses. That said, these jobs have not rebounded in the same way that many private-sector ones have, either, with public finances still squeezed, public workforces still smaller than their pre-recession peak, and local government officials still hesitant to make critical investments in their workforces and infrastructure.

These teachers should be fired for striking. And striking is the only way you'll ever get a raise lady so I hope they break the unions and cut out the old hags like you who are too old and burned out and ugly.

You're a wonderful liberal. Really, you're perfect.

"Old, burned out and ugly."

Yep, that's perfect. You make a great case for what qualifies a person to be a teacher. You're as ignorant as I suspected--more so, actually.

Do you think the same thing about Don Jr. yes or no?

Donald Trump, Jr. referred to teachers as "losers" at a campaign event.

And yet you voted for Trump after at his rallies his son called you teachers losers?

So lady, spare me your fake outrage. You are a political hack who only cares about banning abortion. You'd even sacrifice your own financial security unknowingly no doubt but still you ignore the obvious that Republicans would lower your pay if they could. And they'd take away all the protections you have. You would shit if you had to work the way we work. You government employees don't even know how good you got it. Lucky half of you didn't lose your jobs during the recession.

Let me guess you also don't believe in global warmring or evolution too right?

Notice a pattern? You'll go along with anything they say because you are a 1 issue voter.

Forum List

Back