Sexual Assaults in Military Raise Alarm in Washington

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
WASHINGTON — The problem of sexual assault in the military leapt to the forefront in Washington on Tuesday as the Pentagon released a survey estimating that 26,000 people in the armed forces were sexually assaulted last year, up from 19,000 in 2010, and an angry President Obama and Congress demanded action.

The study, based on a confidential survey sent to 108,000 active-duty service members, was released two days after the officer in charge of sexual assault prevention programs for the Air Force was arrested and charged with sexual battery for grabbing a woman’s breasts and buttocks in an Arlington, Va., parking lot.

At a White House news conference, Mr. Obama expressed exasperation with the Pentagon’s attempts to bring sexual assault under control.

“The bottom line is, I have no tolerance for this,” Mr. Obama said in answer to a question about the survey. “If we find out somebody’s engaging in this stuff, they’ve got to be held accountable, prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court-martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged. Period.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/u...?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130508&_r=0

This has been a problem within the military for decades and this report doesn't even cover the sexual attacks of our female military committed by "civilian contractors" which was exposed during the Iraq War. Which was covered up for the most part, by our own Government officials during that time as well as military leaders.

Also this report doesn't cover the sexual assaults committed by our military on "civilians" in or around military bases.

This has been a problem within the military for decades and this report doesn't even cover the sexual attacks of our female military committed by "civilian contractors" which was exposed during the Iraq War. Which was covered up for the most part, by our own Government officials during that time as well as military leaders.

Also this report doesn't cover the sexual assaults committed by our military on "civilians" in or around military bases.

I read that 1 in 3 female military members have been sexually assaulted. Do not know if this includes verbal abuse.

I read that 1 in 3 female military members have been sexually assaulted. Do not know if this includes verbal abuse.

Being ex military, verbal abuse is just that verbal abuse. I have 2 daughters serving and believe me for the past several years as I've read and heard how bad it's getting with sexual assault has me on edge about how slow the military is working to prevent this.

Didn't everyone know this was going to happen? I seem to remember when women were being shoved into the military there were people saying this was going to happen.

I can't dig around and find enough sympathy to apply.

It's been happening since before there were women in the military, so that point is invalid.

The point is not only valid but it's the freaking point of the post. They forget they are women until they get pinched. Pat a militant lesbian on the ass and you become a statistic.

Just because a woman signs up for the military it doesn't mean that she's a lesbian, or a militant feminist, whatever the hell that is. She's a woman. Sexual assault never was about sexual desire, it's about power and control. It's no different than a man walking up to her and punching her in the face - it's violent assault.

Maybe more female soldiers should use their 2nd Amendment rights and shoot their assailants. In the testicles.

Forum List

Back