Sheriff rejects popcorn killer’s ‘stand your ground’ defense: ‘Why didn’t he move sea

Dementia combined with pent up anger and rage.

A false sense of righteousness -- that everyone would see things his way because he had a gun.

You make a lot of sense..

Who kills someone over bad manners?

The young father may have said something.. like .. hold on I am texting the babysitter.

Senseless murder...... makes me sick.

I am wondering if he went to his car to get his gun.. Why couldn't he wait a moment to speak with the theater Mgr?

He went to management.

Did he? Then why not wait until they could address his problem.

You make a lot of sense..

Who kills someone over bad manners?

The young father may have said something.. like .. hold on I am texting the babysitter.

Senseless murder...... makes me sick.

I am wondering if he went to his car to get his gun.. Why couldn't he wait a moment to speak with the theater Mgr?

He went to management.

Did he? Then why not wait until they could address his problem.

becasue he was attacked by the younger guy upon his return.
he did not escalate the fight. the killed guy did.

Well, unfortunately, this is Florida, where they let guys who shoot children in the street walk if they are the wrong race or social class, so there's that.

This guy needs to go to prison for the rest of his life, first degree murder. And we need to stop giving guns out to any asshole who wants one.

well, unfortunately, this is the US and it is so far a law governed society.
And the laws will decide if what happened was justified or not.

In a meanwhile it would be better to refresh and undust some old rules of living in the society and the manners which has been helping to live for centuries.
If the young guy would just stop texting or just go outside - he will be alive today.

Simple, isn't it?

The wife raised her hand to shield her husband..

A reasonable man would have changed his seat.. rather than get pushy about some parent texting the babysitter.

Or the texter could have gone into the lobby.. We don't shoot people for a breech of manners.

Did the old man go to the MGMT or did he go to his car to get his gun?

why should he change his seat? texting and using cellphone in the theater is prohibited.

he asked to stop, it was disregarded. he went to the management and upon his return was attacked by the guy who was now upset that he might have to leave the movie.

and all the young one had to do was to step outside and text there.

It was not a movie yet.

Would he be not a rude "I'll do whatever I want it" guy and yes, have some manners - he would be alive today.

A jury is not going to go with the popcorn defense.

He will never hold his loved ones again.

Those are common sense and secondary decisions and won't have much bearing in court. Each of those men had a right to sit wherever they wanted to sit. Each of them had a right to a degree of peace and safety. Who was the primary aggressor?

From what I've read, the shooter overreacted.

well, unfortunately, this is the US and it is so far a law governed society.
And the laws will decide if what happened was justified or not.

In a meanwhile it would be better to refresh and undust some old rules of living in the society and the manners which has been helping to live for centuries.
If the young guy would just stop texting or just go outside - he will be alive today.

Simple, isn't it?

A reasonable man would have changed his seat.. rather than get pushy about some parent texting the babysitter.

Or the texter could have gone into the lobby.. We don't shoot people for a breech of manners.

why should he change his seat? texting and using cellphone in the theater is prohibited.

he asked to stop, it was disregarded. he went to the management and upon his return was attacked by the guy who was now upset that he might have to leave the movie.

It was not a movie yet.

Would he be not a rude "I'll do whatever I want it" guy and yes, have some manners - he would be alive today.

the guy that got shot was a jackass too

Last edited:
The guy asked him if he went to tell on him.

Years ago in the airport in Paris I was struggling with a luggage cart and basically crashed into this Frenchman, knocking off the heel of his shoe.. He began screaming at me.. I picked up the heel of his shoe, handed it to him and apologized profusely.

He didn't walk away happy, but he didn't shoot me either.

We don't have to kill each other over minor infractions in etiquette.

yes i read that

however leaving the area and returning to the "fight" is not supportive

of a self defense claim

quite to the contrary.

he left in order to PREVENT the fight - he complained to the administration, not engaged in the word exchange with the younger guy - it was the killed guy who started the fight upon the older returning to his seat as he was pissed that he was reported.

Why didn't he change seats?

maybe there were none?

Those are common sense and secondary decisions and won't have much bearing in court. Each of those men had a right to sit wherever they wanted to sit. Each of them had a right to a degree of peace and safety. Who was the primary aggressor?

The popcorn thrower.

yes i read that

however leaving the area and returning to the "fight" is not supportive

of a self defense claim

quite to the contrary.

he left in order to PREVENT the fight - he complained to the administration, not engaged in the word exchange with the younger guy - it was the killed guy who started the fight upon the older returning to his seat as he was pissed that he was reported.

i am not supporting one nor the other

just looking at it from what we have seen thus far

how did he know he was preventing a fight when he went to get the manager

i have not seen anything that says the shooter talked to the manager

maybe he went and loaded his gun in the can

and then returned to what he saw as a fight a brewing

that is exactly prevention of the fight - get the arbitrator to resolve the issue, not engage in the fight himself.
he returned to his seat to see a movie - why shouldn't he?

quite to the contrary.

maybe there were none?

Maybe.. I have never been in a multiplex that was packed.

quite to the contrary.

i am not supporting one nor the other

just looking at it from what we have seen thus far

how did he know he was preventing a fight when he went to get the manager

i have not seen anything that says the shooter talked to the manager

maybe he went and loaded his gun in the can

and then returned to what he saw as a fight a brewing

that is exactly prevention of the fight - get the arbitrator to resolve the issue, not engage in the fight himself.
he returned to his seat to see a movie - why shouldn't he?

currently all we know is

guy who got shot asked if he went to the manager

i have not seen and maybe missed it

that the shooter said he went to the management

or the management saying he came for help

From what I've read, the shooter overreacted.

from what I have seen the younger guy was using the cellphone against the rules, did not stop upon request and attacked ( at least verbally) the older guy when he returned after his complaint to the management.

The younger one was clearly full of rage, stubborn and overreacted.
He paid the highest price for hist stupidity.

does it justify the killing of him? I don't think so, however, if there is a reason for the older guy to fear the great bodily harm from him ( and we already see that the younger one was irrational and irate) then there is a big chance for him to be acquitted.

The moral of the story - don't be rude and stubborn, it might save your life.

It was not a movie yet.

I think he was the primary jackass. Or simply stupid.
would he just step outside or at least say "sorry, I'll be done in a sec, it's about my daughter" - he would be alive and well today.

It was not a movie yet.

I think he was the primary jackass. Or simply stupid.
would he just step outside or at least say "sorry, I'll be done in a sec, it's about my daughter" - he would be alive and well today.

i do believe he played a part in his own demise

think his wife tried to stop him and got a leadie through the hand

maybe there were none?

Maybe.. I have never been in a multiplex that was packed.

I have.

and why should he? maybe there were only worse seats left?

somebody texting does not bother me especially during not the movie time, but I do not see the texting on whatever reason as an excuse to be rude and idiotic.

why won't the killed guy just step outside to finish his texting?

Forum List

Back