Should anorexics/bulemics and bullied gay teens be deprived of constitutional rights?

novasteve

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
If the anorexic was hospitalized for their eating disorder, or the gay teen was bullied so badly they attempted suicide and got hospitalized? Because the current proposals being passed in Maryland and other states that say people hospitalized for mental illness will be deprived of the right to purchase firearms. Do you really fear a bulemic having a firearm at a later point in his/her life? Or a gay teen who was bullied to the point of being suicidal?

If the anorexic was hospitalized for their eating disorder, or the gay teen was bullied so badly they attempted suicide and got hospitalized? Because the current proposals being passed in Maryland and other states that say people hospitalized for mental illness will be deprived of the right to purchase firearms. Do you really fear a bulemic having a firearm at a later point in his/her life? Or a gay teen who was bullied to the point of being suicidal?

I can understand you being worried about this.

If the medical profession determines a person is a danger to themselves or others, that person should not be permitted to purchase a firearm.

For how long? That is the real question.

If the medical profession determines a person is a danger to themselves or others, that person should not be permitted to purchase a firearm.

For how long? That is the real question.

How is a gun a threat to an anorexic or bulemic? Do they lose weight by shooting themselves or others?

Can you link it where the law covers people with eating disorders?

It covers ANYONE who has ever been hospitalized for ANY mental illness. Lots of bulemics and anorexics get hospitalized. They would all lose their second amendment rights under the proposals.

Maryland Senate passes gun-control bill | Politics - WBAL Home

The measure requires a license and fingerprinting to buy a handgun. It limits magazines to 10 bullets and bans the sale of assault-style weapons. The Maryland State Police will have the authority to inspect gun shop records, and the legislation prohibits those who have been involuntarily committed for mental health reasons from purchasing a gun.

It covers ANYONE who has ever been hospitalized for ANY mental illness. Lots of bulemics and anorexics get hospitalized. They would all lose their second amendment rights under the proposals.

Maryland Senate passes gun-control bill | Politics - WBAL Home

The measure requires a license and fingerprinting to buy a handgun. It limits magazines to 10 bullets and bans the sale of assault-style weapons. The Maryland State Police will have the authority to inspect gun shop records, and the legislation prohibits those who have been involuntarily committed for mental health reasons from purchasing a gun.

Looks to me like they have always had some procedures in which mentally ill could not just go purchase a firearm.

and some people who have been institutionalized for other disorders only need a note from a doctor stating so.

Currently, state law treats the purchase of the two guns Green owned differently. The Uzi rifle, an “unregulated firearm,” does not require a state background check. The 9mm handgun, a “regulated firearm,” requires a state background check that reviews limited mental health information. Police said he purchased both guns legally.

Under state law, people with certain mental disorders that also have a history of violent behavior are prohibited from buying guns.

People who have been hospitalized for more than 30 consecutive days in a mental health facility — including public or private clinics, hospitals or institutions — are also prohibited from buying guns. But the state background check system run by the Maryland State Police only checks mental health records at public facilities, not private ones.

The state background check begins when a customer buys a “regulated firearm” from a licensed gun dealer and fills out a Maryland State Police form that asks about criminal history, drug use and mental health problems.

The form asks, “Have you ever spent more than 30 consecutive days in any medical institution for treatment of a mental disorder or disorders?”

If the customer answers yes, the sale is blocked, though the customer can still get the gun if they submit a note from a doctor saying they had been cleared within the last month to own a firearm.
- See more at: The Sentinel

Where is "bullying" defined in the Constitution? Free speech is guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

Where is "bullying" defined in the Constitution? Free speech is guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

That's not releveant to the discussion, nobody said criminalizing bullying, however it would be a crime for someone who was bullied to the point of suicide who then gets hospitalized for their suicide attempt to purchcase a firearm.

So doctors control people's constitutional rights?

It looks like that people have always had to have a background check on mental stability.

Did you know that if you attempt suicide and get hospitalized in some states you need a Doctor's note to say you are safe to drive a vehicle and not a danger to others on the road?

:cool:

Okay. Found it: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281t.pdf

The ALL CAPS is in the actual bill. The bolding is mine.

(b) A firearm application shall contain:
(2) the date and time that the firearm applicant delivered the 10 completed firearm application to the prospective seller or transferor; [and]
(3) a statement by the firearm applicant under the penalty of perjury 12 that the firearm applicant:
(i) is at least 21 years old;
(ii) has never been convicted of a disqualifying crime;
(iii) has never been convicted of a violation classified as a common law crime and received a term of imprisonment of more than 2 years;
(iv) is not a fugitive from justice;
(v) is not a habitual drunkard;
(vi) is not addicted to a controlled dangerous substance or is not a habitual user;
(VII) DOES NOT SUFFER FROM A MENTAL DISORDER AS DEFINED IN § 10–101(F)(2) OF THE HEALTH – GENERAL ARTICLE AND HAVE A HISTORY OF VIOLENT BEHAVIOR AGAINST THEMSELVES OR ANOTHER, UNLESS THE PERSON HAS A PHYSICIAN’S CERTIFICATE THAT THE PERSON IS CAPABLE OF POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM WITHOUT UNDUE DANGER TO THE PERSON OR TO ANOTHER;

Okay, novasteve? Your fears are misplaced.

An anorexic is not going to be denied a firearm based on their anorexia. The physician just needs to provide a certificate the anorexic is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to themselves or another person.

Only the violently mentally ill would be denied if this becomes law.

Last edited:

It looks like that people have always had to have a background check on mental stability.

Did you know that if you attempt suicide and get hospitalized in some states you need a Doctor's note to say you are safe to drive a vehicle and not a danger to others on the road?

First, find the definition of mental illness, and how is "violent" defined? Would a transgendered person be denied guns if they tried to self operate? Cutters? Is starving yourself or purging considered violent? I don't know about you, but when I vomit, it's VERY violent. In fact my face gets all bruised.

It covers ANYONE who has ever been hospitalized for ANY mental illness. Lots of bulemics and anorexics get hospitalized. They would all lose their second amendment rights under the proposals.The Maryland State Police will have the authority to inspect gun shop records, and the legislation prohibits those who have been involuntarily committed for mental health reasons from purchasing a gun.

Those suffering from eating disorders very, very, very often also suffer from depression.

This is not true.

Please see my previous post.

First, find the definition of mental illness, and how is "violent" defined? Would a transgendered person be denied guns if they tried to self operate? Cutters? Is starving yourself or purging considered violent? I don't know about you, but when I vomit, it's VERY violent. In fact my face gets all bruised.

It sounds like YOU really, REALLY shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

It covers ANYONE who has ever been hospitalized for ANY mental illness. Lots of bulemics and anorexics get hospitalized. They would all lose their second amendment rights under the proposals.The Maryland State Police will have the authority to inspect gun shop records, and the legislation prohibits those who have been involuntarily committed for mental health reasons from purchasing a gun.

Those suffering from eating disorders very, very, very often also suffer from depression.
And? Depressed people wouldn't be impacted by the legislation unless they were involuntarily committed.

You are protected by your constitutional due process rights, even when it comes to a doctor.

You can only be confined against your will by a doctor after judicial review. And you can only be denied your right to bear arms after due process has determined you to be a violent hazard to yourself or others.

It sounds like YOU really, REALLY shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

Wow that's a great contribution to the discussion. Thanks.

Now what constitutes violence? If I stuck my finger down someone else's throat to make them vomit, that would be considered an act of violence.

Forum List

Back