Should Cars Be Sold Directly to Consumers or via Dealerships? AZ, NJ & TX say NO!!!

Who's going to do the warranty service repairs?

Joe's Shade Tree House Of Repairs Of Phantom Problems?

I recall a Company called "General Motors" who went bankrupt try to change the way we bought cars when they first marketed the Saturn.

But I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Generic Motors makes junk. Always have, always will.

Saturn was a good idea. Problem was, it was Generic Motors that tried it and GM could fuck up a one car funeral.

My first question....."Where do I take my car for service and how do I know they know what the fuck they're doing?"

And, "Who trains the mechanics?"

I'm no friend of Dealers. Bunch of fucking thieves. But I wonder if this has been thought out.

I thought the free market , with its wondrous powers, would figure a way out? Not so much? We need state regulations to shape the car market, but healthcare, where life & death is on the line, should be more free market?

It would if it was allowed to. We don't need state regulations for jack shit, including healthcare.

New Jersey Becomes Third State To Ban Tesla?s Direct Sales Model | TechCrunch

Should cars be sold directly to consumers, cutting out the mid-man (dealerships). It sounds very anti-capitalistic to say no, but dealerships provide many many high paying jobs: Salesman, Managers, Mechanics, Finance, Brokers, Marketing Exe, Buyers etc. Cutting out them, then you lose millions upon millions of jobs. Start the trend from direct from the manufacturer sales with one auto manufacturer and see it spread like the plague.

Normally I would be against such a move, but the job and industry ramifications and lose of another industry makes me think this isn't the worst move.

Of course, I want to support anything and everything Tesla does, because I believe they are starting the wave of the future, I also see the advantage in "forcing" the OEMs to use dealerships.

From what I read they are still creating jobs so they must be offering service. Due to this law they will have to layoff 27 employees in NJ and close sales operations.

Tesla is the example here, but say all OEMs start to sell direct to consumer and cut out the dealerships, that is an entire industry of high paying jobs gone.

I have no problem with direct sales. If the dealerships are providing something that people are willing to pay for - they'll do just fine.

There are a lot of dealers that will sell you a car online or over the phone. I don't see why you can't order one direct from the manufacturer. However, the big three won't do it because they don't want to undercut their dealers. Who would be a car from a dealer of you could order it online and avoid all the dealer costs?

I see Big Three dealers all over the country advertising their cars on EBay. What's the difference?

If you believe in a free market then the answer is yes. If you believe in protectionism and cronyism then the answer is no.

If you believe in black and white only, then you have a point, if you believe in a gray area, then you don't.

The issue is pretty black and white. There's no valid justification for state regs that prevent you from buying a car from whomever wants to sell you one. However, manufacturers like Ford and GM generally won't sell you one directly because they don't want to undercut their dealers.

Should cars be sold directly to consumers, cutting out the mid-man (dealerships). It sounds very anti-capitalistic to say no, but dealerships provide many many high paying jobs: Salesman, Managers, Mechanics, Finance, Brokers, Marketing Exe, Buyers etc. Cutting out them, then you lose millions upon millions of jobs. Start the trend from direct from the manufacturer sales with one auto manufacturer and see it spread like the plague.

Normally I would be against such a move, but the job and industry ramifications and lose of another industry makes me think this isn't the worst move.

Of course, I want to support anything and everything Tesla does, because I believe they are starting the wave of the future, I also see the advantage in "forcing" the OEMs to use dealerships.

I love my local dealership, and I didn't even buy my car here, I bought it in Tennessee. I've not had many problems with my car, but I go to them for routine maintenance like oil and transmission fluid changes. The local OTHER place that does oil changes over inflated my tires once and they wore out too fast. I've talked to the manager about my illness and asked him to help me keep this car functional for the rest of my life. He is helping me in a lot of ways, touching up nicks and scratches, planning the more expensive things like the transmission fluid change, etc. Keeping it looking nice makes me more intent on not trading at this stage of my life.

I don't see how you could buy a car factory direct and have the factory, which would be many hours away from here, actually perform the maintenance contract. Not having dealerships might help the industry, but it wouldn't help the customers.

I love my local dealership, and I didn't even buy my car here, I bought it in Tennessee. I've not had many problems with my car, but I go to them for routine maintenance like oil and transmission fluid changes. The local place that does oil changes over inflated my tires once and they wore out too fast. I've talked to the manager about my illness and asked him to help me keep this car functional for the rest of my life. He is helping me in a lot of ways, touching up nicks and scratches, planning the more expensive things like the transmission fluid change, etc. Keeping it looking nice makes me more intent on not trading at this stage of my life.

I don't see how you could buy a car factory direct and have the factory, which would be many hours away from here, actually perform the maintenance contract. Not having dealerships might help the industry, but it wouldn't help the customers.

I buy from a dealer, then I never see them again unless I have to for factory maintenance, which could be done by an approved repair shop if we weren't required to use dealers.

I don't think anyone is proposing outlawing dealers, so if you're happy paying what I've read is roughly $1,000 to $1,500 more for your car that's fine. You're not proposing that people who don't want to should be forced by law to buy from a dealer though are you, sunshine?

I love my local dealership, and I didn't even buy my car here, I bought it in Tennessee. I've not had many problems with my car, but I go to them for routine maintenance like oil and transmission fluid changes. The local place that does oil changes over inflated my tires once and they wore out too fast. I've talked to the manager about my illness and asked him to help me keep this car functional for the rest of my life. He is helping me in a lot of ways, touching up nicks and scratches, planning the more expensive things like the transmission fluid change, etc. Keeping it looking nice makes me more intent on not trading at this stage of my life.

I buy from a dealer, then I never see them again unless I have to for factory maintenance, which could be done by an approved repair shop if we weren't required to use dealers.

I don't think anyone is proposing outlawing dealers, so if you're happy paying what I've read is roughly $1,000 to $1,500 more for your car that's fine. You're not proposing that people who don't want to should be forced by law to buy from a dealer though are you, sunshine?

Having something as expensive as a set of tired ruined often enough would be far more than that. Well, I bought my car in 2007 and it still looks and runs like it did when it was new. They are doing something right.

Tesla must be hurting if it can't even afford to maintain dealerships. For some perspective, the Ford Motor Company cancelled the Edsel after only 116,000 were sold. Tesla has sold less than 10,000 Mod. "S".

Tesla must be hurting if it can't even afford to maintain dealerships. For some perspective, the Ford Motor Company cancelled the Edsel after only 116,000 were sold. Tesla has sold less than 10,000 Mod. "S".

Maybe they just don't want to waste their customer's money...

From what I read they are still creating jobs so they must be offering service. Due to this law they will have to layoff 27 employees in NJ and close sales operations.

Tesla is the example here, but say all OEMs start to sell direct to consumer and cut out the dealerships, that is an entire industry of high paying jobs gone.

You want to ban the Internet? Did you miss the fact that every OEM on the planet does exactly what you just said? Even Government Motors?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...ead-plans-to-sell-directly-to-online-shoppers
http://www.gaypatriot.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1653775_654863431216194_1161330194_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have no problem with direct sales. If the dealerships are providing something that people are willing to pay for - they'll do just fine.

Where do you go when your $7,000 transmission takes a shit 20 days after you buy it?

Or how about when that $10,000 Battery catches fire?

And who stands behind the work?

Who will do the recall work and who stands behind that?

Who services the car for you? Like a revolutionary new car might need some specialized service....? Maybe...? :dunno:

Fuck Tesla. They can play by the same rules everybody else plays by or they can go buh-bye.

We live in a Free Market Based Capitalist Society, not the Snake Oil salesman culture of the 19th Century.

You call Tesla, and they tow your car to the nearest store with a repair facility, even if you are in a different state from where you bought it.

On the other hand, if you bought it through a dealer, and are out of state, you call the local dealer, and they tell you they don't have the contract to service cars sold by Crony Dealers R Us.

Bullshit. If I buy a new Ford in Florida and it breaks down in California, the dealer in California WILL repair it under warranty! Do you not actually understand how a vehicle warranty works?

Last edited:
If you believe in a free market then the answer is yes. If you believe in protectionism and cronyism then the answer is no.

If you believe in black and white only, then you have a point, if you believe in a gray area, then you don't.

The issue is pretty black and white. There's no valid justification for state regs that prevent you from buying a car from whomever wants to sell you one. However, manufacturers like Ford and GM generally won't sell you one directly because they don't want to undercut their dealers.

I suspect they CAN'T, due to the contracts they have with dealers.

You're NOT required to have service done at a dealer!

You're NOT required to have service done at a dealer!

Right, we agree. The only things that dealers have to do are things like fix recalls and do warranty work. Which is why I said I don't see them again unless I have to.

Forum List

Back