Should Fleeing Motorcylists in High-Speed Chases Be Shot By Police ?

So if they miss, the police dept loses a few bullets. They could survive that.

Lose a few bullets??

Where do those bullets end up??? Are you really advocating cops open fire on a speeding motorcycle?? And if they miss they just "lose a few bullets"???

And you tried to give me shit about not being prepared. LMAO!! You take the cake.

Dude! If I have to correct you repeatedly, I'm might have to start calling you DUMMY. You've been told repeatedly now, that we're talking about a very open stretch of road which is unpopulated, and only that. Got it now ?

From the OP and at least a half dozen posts >> "Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ?"

Yeah, looks like I'm giving you shit about not being prepared (and not listening also)

Right, and the area around these roads are always empty?? Or are you expecting the cops to know when there are no people off the side of the road? The bullets travel quite a long way.

I am listening. I also know the definition of "bullets".

Hell fucking NO what the hell is wrong with you people.!!!!!!!

You want which is typical of most,an authoritarian make life and death designation about a speeder,

Hint no chase no high speed chasing a kid on a bike over a traffic ticket,and that's what most are,and you want then to gun them down.

You people are some scary fucked up individuals.

Absolutely OFF TOPIC!! This isn't about a "traffic ticket", and nobody said anything about a "kid"

Learn to READ, before you come bursting into a thread, talking like a fool.

What?? off topic?? ya ok

Yeah, he gets a little nuts when the convo doesn't go his way.

To answer the question of the OP title, perhaps we should evaluate the cost/benefit analysis of it. If cops don't shoot the jerk, rampaging through traffic at 100 MPH (or even at much lesser speeds), then a number of motorists might get killed, or badly injured. At some points in a high speed chase, the motorcylist may have full control of his vehicle (as on straightaways where traffic is absent). But as soon as he gets into traffic, everyone there is at huge risk.

Question is why ? Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ? Shouldn't we take action to protect the public, and if the motorcycle criminal fool dies, from being shot, wouldn't that cop who shot him have done us all a favor ? (other than the guy who has to come along and clean up the mess)

I say blast him. :drillsergeant: :Boom2: :evil: :blowup:

You are advocating that a cop execute the motorcyclist for speeding?? The OP says nothing about any other crime being committed.

Also, the cop's ability to remove the shotgun from the rack, maneuver it in the passenger seat and fire it out a window is very questionable. At close range it is certainly a death sentence. And you want him to kill the kid (because most of these crotch-rocket riders are kids or are at least very young adults) without any questions being asked?

Oh, and when you referred to "bullets" you ruled out the shotgun. The handgun the cop would use has a range of at least 1/4 mile if he misses. So if the motorcycle rider is in the open, on a road with no houses within 1/4 mile......

Yeah, you have made a fool of yourself.

You want which is typical of most,an authoritarian make life and death designation about a speeder,

Hint no chase no high speed chasing a kid on a bike over a traffic ticket,and that's what most are,and you want then to gun them down.

Absolutely OFF TOPIC!! This isn't about a "traffic ticket", and nobody said anything about a "kid"

The OP said nothing about any crime other than the speeding. So yeah, it is about a traffic ticket.

I prefer opening a car door at the last moment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zsFTcWH5g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zsFTcWH5g[/ame]

Last edited:

What?? off topic?? ya ok

He claims to be 68 but that has to be his IQ because nobody except a moron would go to such lengths to advocate executing a kid on a motorcycle for speeding. Protectionist is the kind of nut case we read about in the news.

What?? off topic?? ya ok

He claims to be 68 but that has to be his IQ because nobody except a moron would go to such lengths to advocate executing a kid on a motorcycle for speeding. Protectionist is the kind of nut case we read about in the news.

If he is 68 (and I question that), he is one of those old men yelling for kids to get off his lawn.

I wonder if he does it with a shotgun in his hand?

Oh wait, I guess my comments are OFF TOPIC!

If he is 68 (and I question that), he is one of those old men yelling for kids to get off his lawn.

Now you've done it! He's gonna have you arrested now.

Now you've done it! He's gonna have you arrested now.

He can't! I have a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card and a Junior G-Man decoder ring.

Motorcyclists don't generally kill car drivers. They put big dents in vehicles or scuff up trees or stain asphalt. I'm a two wheel guy and dislike the crotch rocket guys as much as anyone but the Harley guys with the loud pipes piss me off more. Car drivers can't get away with that loud an exhaust, why do they?

High speed pursuit is always dangerous and is always under the supervision of a trained Sgt. or higher. Decisions on go, no go are made to protect the public. Shooting someone off a high speed bike is the stuff of video games and not something most agencies would consider except under very extraordinary situations. Today, in most urban areas, aircraft is used to follow in pursuit and vehicles on the ground follow at a safe distance and speed.

Area agencies know the bike or car will eventually run out of gas, crash or be picked up by next jurisdiction; trying to out run LE usually ends badly for the fools who attempt it.

I never seen video of a bike going 100 MPH after it hit a spike strip, though I know I wouldn't want to be on the bike when that happened.

Actually, a smart rider on a sportbike will usually get away in this area. By the time the first cop calls for and gets any help, the dude has stashed the bike someplace.

Who are you ? The president of Crime, Incorporated ? You talk like you'd like him to get away.

I live in the real world, child. No more and no less. I drive for a living & spend every day on the road. (I do 40-50,000 miles/year.)

1. It isn't necessarily about a motorcycle hitting a car. Did you watch the video ? The cop couldn have been killed, and the motorcycle never touched him.. Often motorcyles weave around cars which then hit each other, or a tree, lamppost, etc.

2. As was stated in the OP >> "Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ?"

3. Helps to come into a thread PREPARED (by having seen the OP and its link/video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rCA8JM2bRPk

There WAS this video originally.

And you think the average patrol cop is capable of reliably hitting a moving target at such ranges? I think the preparation you want should be yours.

The video wasn't there when I first came to the thread. And no, the officers should NOT endanger other lives by pursuing a high speed chase in traffic. On the open road it is better, but their chances of catching a motorcycle without backup or unless the iker wrecks are slim.

1. Yeah, I think the average cop can get close enough to the fool to hit him or his bike, and knock them off the road. If you watch the video you'll see a number of times where they were pretty close to one another. A second cop in the passenger seat could whack him with a shotgun and probably take him out on the first shot. And if he misses, so what ? A few shotgun shells ? No biggee. It's worth it, to save innocent lives. (maybe yours)

You have never fired a gun from a moving vehicle in your life and have no idea what you are blathering about! You have watched too many bad movies.

2. The thread is not about pursuing a high speed chase in traffic. Please don't change the subject. We have enough to talk about with the topic of the OP.

3. I see no reason why the cop couldn't catch up to a motorcycle, and you haven't shown any. I'll show you reasons why he could.
a. at any point the mc could lose control momentarily and be forced to slow down or even stop. When starting again, the cop could be right behind him.
b. There could be obstructions in the road (broken down vehicle, cows crossing road, construction cones, etc)
c. The mc could encounter a rough road condition, or start raining. etc etc.

You clearly do not understand the YAWNING CHASM the between performance of a bike and a car. Even a medium-sized (600-750cc) sportbike has performance that will equal a supercar. A true superbike (1000+cc) will dust ANY street car, period, end of discussion. A GSXR1300 will hit 100MPH before a new Corvette hits 60. It will run a 1/4 mile before a Mustang GT runs an 1/8 mile.

"Obstructions" will HELP a motorcyclist get away--it's much easier to slip through a work zone, a flock of geese, or past a disabled vehicle on a bike than in a car!

To answer the question of the OP title, perhaps we should evaluate the cost/benefit analysis of it. If cops don't shoot the jerk, rampaging through traffic at 100 MPH (or even at much lesser speeds), then a number of motorists might get killed, or badly injured. At some points in a high speed chase, the motorcylist may have full control of his vehicle (as on straightaways where traffic is absent). But as soon as he gets into traffic, everyone there is at huge risk.

Question is why ? Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ? Shouldn't we take action to protect the public, and if the motorcycle criminal fool dies, from being shot, wouldn't that cop who shot him have done us all a favor ? (other than the guy who has to come along and clean up the mess)

You are advocating that a cop execute the motorcyclist for speeding?? The OP says nothing about any other crime being committed.

Also, the cop's ability to remove the shotgun from the rack, maneuver it in the passenger seat and fire it out a window is very questionable. At close range it is certainly a death sentence. And you want him to kill the kid (because most of these crotch-rocket riders are kids or are at least very young adults) without any questions being asked?

Oh, and when you referred to "bullets" you ruled out the shotgun. The handgun the cop would use has a range of at least 1/4 mile if he misses. So if the motorcycle rider is in the open, on a road with no houses within 1/4 mile......

Actually, I recall a 9mm hardball can carry about a mile!

Actually, I recall a 9mm hardball can carry about a mile!

Probably farther. I was going with a lowball number, since I was guessing the cop would be aiming downward or level.

The Gestapo cometh? Though your thoughts are not far-fetched involving your experience, one must realize how this may affect justice. He must be tried. It's not for the criminal's benefit, but for every citizen. Those with guns are human too. Police are humans, therefore they can't ALWAYS make flawless decisions. But the decisions eventually result in innocent deaths at the hands of the police. This is expected since humans aren't perfect, whether they be police, teachers, doctors, ad infinitum. It's merely a fact of nature.

There will always be a leak in the dike when it comes to humans. It goes with the species, Homo sapiens. We must merely try to replace those humans with detrimental interests of society in mind, and try another. In others words . . . Accountability rather than Seniority. Who are we supposed to protect here? All of us or a few of us? If someone is incompetent on a certain job, replace him. As a citizen taxpayer, isn't this supposed to be a priority? I feel he who was replaced can find more successful employment. Better for him, and better for an improving society.

Unfortunately, these suggestions come far too late. The Establishment is totally in control now. And, is there any better way to run a world government than it is being run now? We are a world community now, and history marches on to another generation.

Lose a few bullets??

Where do those bullets end up??? Are you really advocating cops open fire on a speeding motorcycle?? And if they miss they just "lose a few bullets"???

And you tried to give me shit about not being prepared. LMAO!! You take the cake.

Dude! If I have to correct you repeatedly, I'm might have to start calling you DUMMY. You've been told repeatedly now, that we're talking about a very open stretch of road which is unpopulated, and only that. Got it now ?

From the OP and at least a half dozen posts >> "Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ?"

Yeah, looks like I'm giving you shit about not being prepared (and not listening also)

Right, and the area around these roads are always empty?? Or are you expecting the cops to know when there are no people off the side of the road? The bullets travel quite a long way.

I am listening. I also know the definition of "bullets".

You didn't watch the video did you ? :lol: Yeah, I would expect the cops to know when there are no people off the side of the road. Did you think they were wearing blinders ? Pheeeeeww!! (high-pitched whistle) :eusa_whistle:

What?? off topic?? ya ok

I don't care one iota about the conversation going my way or any other way. I asked the question > "Why should law abiding drivers have their lives jeopardized, when they could be protected just by having the cops blast this loon right off his vehicle, when the chase encounters an open road, free of traffic ?

And neither you or anyone else I recall in this thread, has yet answered it. Burden is on YOU to come up with an answer. So far, you haven't.

NO, YOU just made a fool out of YOURself.

1. No, to remove a shotgun from its rack, maneuver it in the passenger seat , and fire it out a window is not questionable at all.

2. Death sentence ? No more so than a criminal committing a crime, who pulls out a gun and is shot by a cop (happens all the time). And the reason it happens is self-defense. Same reason for shooting the speeding, reckless motorcyclist. And if at this point you don't know why, you doing even worse in this thread than before (and that's not too good)

3. I ruled out nothing. The cop can choose what he wants to shoot with - either one or both. (Nice try, fool)

4. "if the motorcycle rider is in the open, on a road with no houses within 1/4 mile..." Yeah, well that's what we're talking about. Are you really asking me to remind you of that AGAINNNNNNNNN..?

The OP said nothing about any crime other than the speeding. So yeah, it is about a traffic ticket.

You dumbass! How many times do you have to be told that this is about >> THE LIVES OF INNOCENT MOTORISTS ON THE ROAD UP AHEAD ? I've lost count. I've told you this now 4 times ? 6 ? 7 ? Pheeeeewww!!

Forum List

Back