Should Ichiro make the baseball HOF?

Been a good night. Picked up another HoF player.

s-l1600.jpg

Gaylord Perry!!! He's the biggest cheater in sports history. Why is he in the HOF but bonds and clemens aren't ?

I can't imagine why Clemens is suspected of anything....
baf345222c7f8385aca3791932e717e4--be-real-funny-stuff.jpg

Coming to the Majors at what?? 27? Unreal.
Great base runner.
Clutch lead off man.
Great center fielder.
Had some power.116 homers
65 av strikeouts a yr
500 stolen bases
Great right fielder.
Near .990 fielding percent
near .350 av in 80 post-season playoffs. 80 at bats

Ohhh. And nearly 3100 hits.

Nope. Does not have what it takes for the HOF.

Ichiro Suzuki Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Right or wrong, many fans today judge players by their WAR rating and ichoro's is NOT up to HOF standards.

Coming to the Majors at what?? 27? Unreal.
Great base runner.
Clutch lead off man.
Great center fielder.
Had some power.116 homers
65 av strikeouts a yr
500 stolen bases
Great right fielder.
Near .990 fielding percent
near .350 av in 80 post-season playoffs. 80 at bats

Ohhh. And nearly 3100 hits.

Nope. Does not have what it takes for the HOF.

Ichiro Suzuki Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

Right or wrong, many fans today judge players by their WAR rating and ichoro's is NOT up to HOF standards.
No one is perfect. Lol. The writers and vet players pick the HOF

He probably will since he'll get the racist vote that awards all non-whites bonus points, but he's not that good. He has 3000 hits and a good BA but his walk numbers and HR numbers are very low. Just a slightly better than average hitter really. A good outfielder and a good base runner.

He's 44 now and had another poor year in 2017 and it's time to quit though he says he wants to play in 2018!!. I say no HOF for the little nip.

Urine idiot.

He's a guaranteed HoF player, as he should be. Lifetime .312 hitter, 3,000 hits, 500 stolen bases, 10x Gold Glove winner, 10x All-Star, MVP, ten consecutive 200-hit seasons (only Rose matched that, though not consecutively), holds the MLB record for hits (262 in 2004, beating a record than had stood for 80+ years and hadn't been seriously challenged since WW2) in a season. This despite starting about six years late, due to playing in Japan until age 27.

First ballot. No question.

The numbers, while excellent, don't do justice to his impact in every game he played. Great head, great bat, good legs, good glove, and his power was just icing on the cake..

Power??? He averaged 7 HRs per 162 games and had a career SA of 403 He was a punch and judy hitter.
By that, ahem, "logic," so was Wade Boggs. (8 home runs per 162 games.)

I tried to think of a HOF player who is similar to Ichiro in terms of stats. I came up with Lou Brock the base stealing wizard of the Cardinals back in the day. Ichiros stats overall are better in many categories than Brock's so I would say yes he belongs in the Hall.

Brock helped lead STL to three good 7-game WS in the 60s' with 2 titles. Ichiro was isolated up in SEA. No big game events to get recognition nationally. Hmmmm...dare I add, not "tested"?

Lou had 9,12, 14 hits.....during those WS. Tested. Yes.

Any OF with speed is at least AVG by default.....I would think. Who do you want out there? Jose Canseco? Mo Vaughn? Nelson Cruz?
Andrew Benintendi or Jackie Bradley Jr.

I saw him in the World Series, saw the impact he had on pitchers and catchers once he got on base. He disrupted the game, took pitchers out of their comfort zone forced the other team to make mistakes

Yes, basestealers disrupt pitchers but they also disrupt batters. Many batters don't like it when the runner on first is bouncing around. Fact is base-stealing is not an important skill and certainly not for brock who was thrown out 25% of the time.
Off of first base? I'll agree that a guy dancing around off second
I saw him in the World Series, saw the impact he had on pitchers and catchers once he got on base. He disrupted the game, took pitchers out of their comfort zone forced the other team to make mistakes

Yes, basestealers disrupt pitchers but they also disrupt batters. Many batters don't like it when the runner on first is bouncing around. Fact is base-stealing is not an important skill and certainly not for brock who was thrown out 25% of the time.
Ok you keep bringing up Brock's 25% throw out rate so let me respond to that. Let's look at someone from the same era who had a similar impact on the game with his speed that being Maury Wills. Yes Maury is not in the Hall but the point I would like to make is his throw out rate was WORSE than Lou Brocks! How can it be that two of the greatest base stealers in history could have such relatively poor success rates at stealing? Simple. When you are Lou Brock or Maury Wills everyone in the ballpark knows you are going to steal. The catcher is always ready, the pitcher gets the ball to home a fraction of a second quicker, the mid infielders are already hedging toward second. So yeah they got thrown out one out of 4 times but given that everyone and their Mom knew they were going to steal makes that all the more remarkable IMO.
Anyone know what Ty Cobbs percentage was?

There are a bunch of years his caught stealing numbers aren't listed so it is impossible to know.

Ty Cobb Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
Caught-stealing was not tracked reliably until the early 1920s.

He probably will since he'll get the racist vote that awards all non-whites bonus points, but he's not that good. He has 3000 hits and a good BA but his walk numbers and HR numbers are very low. Just a slightly better than average hitter really. A good outfielder and a good base runner.

He's 44 now and had another poor year in 2017 and it's time to quit though he says he wants to play in 2018!!. I say no HOF for the little nip.
500+ stolen bases, 10 years of .300+ average, 10x All-Star, 10x Golden Glove, 1 MVP, most hits in a single season, 10 years of 200+ hits.....

I know you hate him because he's not white, but I'd say he deserves some recognition.
I cannot believe the OP's anti Japanese rant.
Notwithstanding......Suzuki is one of the greatest hitters to pick up a bat. His stats compare to greats such as Pete Rose and Stan Musial.
Some of his accomplishments.
Between 2006 and 2010 he amasses 1114 hits while averaging nearly .330. As a rookie he had 242 hits. No other rookie had lead his league in base hits.
Averaged .350 4 times. With one season at .372.
He's got my vote...If I had one
Not true: Johnny Pesky led the major leagues with 205 hits in 1942. He also led the American League in 1946 and MLB again in 1947. He is the only one to do so his first three seasons. (He did not play 1943-45 due to military service.)

Notwithstanding......Suzuki is one of the greatest hitters to pick up a bat. His stats compare to greats such as Pete Rose and Stan Musial.
Suzy does compare well to rose. Both men had good BA and little power. Musial is something else. Far far above either man as a hitter. Stan is one of the top 5 hitters of all time.
No, he isn't. (30th in batting average, 22nd in OBP, 17th in slugging)

Billy Hamilton has some way to go to move from a good player to a very good player. It will only take an extra five to six times getting on base per hundred at bats.

His on base percentage has always been pretty bad for a base stealer. I look at him like a Vince Coleman. Great base stealer but one dimensional. Not HOF material
Yup.

What you guys have to also realize is, Billy Hamilton is a converted shortstop to CF. It's amazing how he's been able to adapt and become such a great defensive player.

Sounds like Mookie Betts. He was drafted as an infielder, but is now one of the best right fielders in baseball.

Suzy does compare well to rose. Both men had good BA and little power. Musial is something else. Far far above either man as a hitter. Stan is one of the top 5 hitters of all time.
List your top 5 hitters. Are you talking strictly batting averages?

Batting average??? No way. I look at everything. My list is ---ruth williams gehrig bonds musial. Maybe i should put cobb in there and make stan number 6. Hate to leave out hornsby but injuries cut short his career.
You included one Black guy. Baby steps, I guess.

You left out Hank Aaron. Ernie Banks. For pure hitters, Tony Gwynn. Rod Carew. Wade Boggs.

If you're looking at everything, the list of all-time non-pitchers should start with:

Babe Ruth
Hank Aaron
No: Babe Ruth and Ted Williams.

. My list is ---ruth williams gehrig bonds musial. Maybe i should put cobb in there and make stan number 6. Hate to leave out hornsby but injuries cut short his career.
You included one Black guy. Baby steps, I guess.
You left out Hank Aaron. Ernie Banks. For pure hitters, Tony Gwynn. Rod Carew. Wade Boggs.

Well - 1 black out of 5 is 20% and that's about what percentage blacks are in MLB. Anyway hank was a great hitter but not equal to ruth or teddy. As for ernie banks??? HAHAHA. A good hitter but not super . Gwynn, carew, and boggs were all singles hitters. I can't believe you are still hung up on batting average. Do you know what century this is?
Actually, Wade Boggs was good for 35+ doubles (51 in 1989!) a season-he definitely knew how to use Fenway Park to his advantage.

Brock was a mediocre field, a superb hitter, and a tremendous base stealer.

3000 hits, 900 steals, .293 average: yeah, he is HOF worthy
.293 and little or no power is not a "superb" hitter.

Brock also had low walk numbers. He was really just a slightly above average hitter. How anyone can call him a superb hitter is scary.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back