Should parents let their kids eat fast food?

No I'm not for making it illegal. But even in moderation I believe parents hurt their kids when they let them eat it. It's full of chemicals and adds to the obesity in the he nation. It's time for parents to step up and learn about the consequences of consuming it
Is fast food any worse than slow food?
Much worse. It is not that hard to wip up a simple, healthy meal at home no matter how busy you are. We had a delishous polenta, white bean, spinacha nd Quinoa soup tonight that took about 1/2 hour to make. Tomorrow, Veg. Burgers and Salad. Then sauteed Tilapia, brown rice nd veg,. De jour.

Buy a slow cooker and just make soups and chili...
My kids would never eat that stuff and I was raised on it.

No I'm not for making it illegal. But even in moderation I believe parents hurt their kids when they let them eat it. It's full of chemicals and adds to the obesity in the he nation. It's time for parents to step up and learn about the consequences of consuming it
Much worse. It is not that hard to wip up a simple, healthy meal at home no matter how busy you are. We had a delishous polenta, white bean, spinacha nd Quinoa soup tonight that took about 1/2 hour to make. Tomorrow, Veg. Burgers and Salad. Then sauteed Tilapia, brown rice nd veg,. De jour.

Yup, thats what I do all of the time.

Key if you can, is to monitor the daily caloric intake, especially higher risk kids. Using fast foods as a reward for good eating habits works best. Read labels....Read labels...Read labels

McDonalds, Burger King and the rest of them should be shut down, and the CEOs executed for mass murder.

They are not forcing anyone to buy their garbage...
True, but people flock to them like moths to a flame. Jim Jones didn't force his flock to drink the cool aid either. But they did

Not the same and people are educated enough to know what damage that stuff can do...

Yup, thats what I do all of the time.

I mean it is easy as can be and yet so many people are lazy...

I ate my first McDonalds in almost ten years a few months back and hated it!

So who's cooking it? That's my question. Teenagers don't make much money flipping burgers, and on the other hand you wifebeaters are keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen to cook and clean for the kids.

And who's adulterating the food with chemicals? I don't doubt what you're saying, but some people have to cook and clean and do similar chores to eke out a living in exchange for what middle class and rich people are too lazy to do for themselves.

Do you want the US EPA and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to keep every restaurant in town under surveillance? Is that going to help with the banlists and blacklists of unwanted customers and unregistered sex offenders who just haven't yet been convicted of raping a waitress or peeking up her skirt while bending down to pick up a dropped spoon?

1612228735978.png

What?

For lots of parents it becomes almost a necessity. Family with 2 working parents get home at 6pm and now it's time to prepare a good healthy meal, do the dishes, bath the kids, clean up the house, help with homework and all before 9PM. Sometimes there's just not enough time or energy.

If I had young children they wouldnt ever have it during the formative years. Cant keep it from them forever, but if they dont have it they wont acquire a taste for it

Fast Food is never good for anyone but the obesity issue is more of a lack of exercise which another poster pointed out...

Actually, it's both.

We're not really eating worse when we eat fast foods than the foods we ate back in the 50s n 60s.
Breakfast: Biscuits, gravy, sausage, eggs, and cold cereal with sugar.
Lunch: Pinto beans cooked in fatback n cornbread
Dinner: Pork roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and green beans (all cooked in grease) and, once in a while, bread pudding for desert.

Loads of fat and carbs but not much in the way of veggies and fruits.

The difference to today is the number of calories they pack into relatively small packages. Burger, fries, soda? 1800 calories.

Smaller portions is the key.

On occassion it's fine I feel the obesity problem has less to do with fast foods and more to with the fact so may of us today sit around glued to either our laptop, IPad or Iphone.

Totally agree.
When I was a kid you couldnt keep me in the house. My days consisted of riding my dirt bike and BMX bike.
Roaming the woods all weekend and other physical activities. Kids nowadays are cream puff pussies for the most part and the boys have the muscle mass of girls.

Simple. If you don't know the owner, don't eat there. I Dont mean Harry Goldensquirterstein with the 14 OttoBurger chains either.LOCAL.. If you're out of town ask the guys at the auto parts store or a cop or power company guy" Hey man...where do I get real food ?"A lot of small towns serve halfass decent cafeteria style meals at the 'deli" section of their lil grocer...not the best but better than anyone with a drive up window option and pretty fair ingredients. Generally good priced for a quickie.
A lot of those "sports bars" put real good food together(Rubens, patty melts, steak sammich,nachos)...maybe not healthy stuff but better than Kings and Arches and you can get a Margarita to go with it

Fast food is certainly bad. Very rarely ever consumed around my house. I started teaching my kids to cook at 8 years old. Started them on sides and as they gained skills moved them on to mains. Also thought them the read sides of packages for ingredients and nutrition info. Taut them to mainly bake meals and also crock pot meals. Many many crock pot meals. Start those in the morning by the time dinner rolled around meat super tender and falling off the bone. Did teach them some blackened cooking which is fried but loaded with herbs and spices. Herbs and spices are loaded with nutrients. Our kinda junk food day was Sunday when we made a homemade pizza.

It is one of the curiosities of life that kids can live (and thrive) on just about anything. Protein schmoteen.

Fast food enterprises have perfected the "art" of making food that is good to eat and convenient to shove down one's throat in a hurry.

It is the gastronomic equivalent of kids' television. Absolute garbage that the kids love.

For a "normal" kid, I suppose the best strategy would be to minimize exposure to this garbage (once a week?), and try to find some things on the menu that are not utterly terrible.

Exactly. Fast does not necessarily = unhealthy.

It is a mistake to conflate the terms "fast food" and "junk food".

On occassion it's fine I feel the obesity problem has less to do with fast foods and more to with the fact so may of us today sit around glued to either our laptop, IPad or Iphone.
Why, did Pinochijoe sign another EO against it?

Why, did Pinochijoe sign another EO against it?
Because he is go along to get along Joe he has been that way for most if not all of his political career.

Fast Food is never good for anyone but the obesity issue is more of a lack of exercise which another poster pointed out...
The difference to today is the number of calories they pack into relatively small packages. Burger, fries, soda? 1800 calories.

Smaller portions is the key.
A calorie is simply a unit of energy. It's not an ingredient.

There's nothing unhealthy about a burger and fries. It's ground beef, potatoes and bread. Very nutritious.

The soda is basically a solution of carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and some mystery "natural and artificial flavors". That's unhealthy.

You know you could opt for unsweetened tea or just plain water, rather than the soda.

Last edited:
Fast food is certainly bad. Very rarely ever consumed around my house. I started teaching my kids to cook at 8 years old. Started them on sides and as they gained skills moved them on to mains. Also thought them the read sides of packages for ingredients and nutrition info. Taut them to mainly bake meals and also crock pot meals. Many many crock pot meals. Start those in the morning by the time dinner rolled around meat super tender and falling off the bone. Did teach them some blackened cooking which is fried but loaded with herbs and spices. Herbs and spices are loaded with nutrients. Our kinda junk food day was Sunday when we made a homemade pizza.
A lot of people have been brainwashed into believing that pizza is junk food.

In reality, nothing could be further from the truth. Pizza is a very well balanced meal.

Forum List

Back