Should religion be eliminated

Should religion be eliminated?

• Yes

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 85.4%

• Total voters
As the general population gets smarter over time, people abandon traditional religions because they realize how kooky they are. Some, or even most probably stay spiritual, but eventually people are going to all come to see that the bible is the written equivalent of the movie Reefer Madness, and have a good laugh about it. Like some already do.
That sounds like wishful thinking.
People are abandoning organized religions, that’s why churches are closing.
How Many Churches Does America Have? More Than Expected
Your link says decreasing since 2006, thanks.
You should read the whole thing. The death of religion is greatly exaggerated.

Brauer’s study corroborates an earlier finding from a team of sociologists led by Shawna Anderson at Duke University, who estimated the average annual death rate of congregations between 1998 and 2005 to be only 1 percent, among the lowest of any type of organization.

So, while much noise has been made of the rise of the religiously unaffiliated (“nones”), their rise has not correlated with an equal rate of congregations closing.
It already confirmed what I thought. Thanks.

There's quite a bit of opposition to religion here. I am just wondering how many of you people believe religion should be eliminated. It's been tried before and failed, but don't let that deter you in your quest.

Learn from their mistakes and give it another try.

Why the Soviet attempt to stamp out religion failed | Giles Fraser: Loose canon
No, but fuck all religion.

I don't want to force all religion to fucking die, but all religion must fucking hang.

If I am forced to be religious, I will revert back to the religion of my acient ancestors who named half the days of the week.

--Tyr's day (Tuesday)
--Odin's day (Pronounced Woden by Saxons, thus, Wednesday)
--Thor's day (Thursday)
--Frigg's day (Friday)

My religion requires me to die with a machine gun in my hand. The 1st and 2nd Amendments protect my religion.

So, fine, but FUCK JESUS!! He is a lie. Never existed. A figment of some homeless beggers' diseased imaginations.

:nana:

There's quite a bit of opposition to religion here. I am just wondering how many of you people believe religion should be eliminated. It's been tried before and failed, but don't let that deter you in your quest.

I don't want to force all religion to fucking die, but all religion must fucking hang.

If I am forced to be religious, I will revert back to the religion of my acient ancestors who named half the days of the week.

--Tyr's day (Tuesday)
--Thor's day (Thursday)
--Frigg's day (Friday)

My religion requires me to die with a machine gun in my hand. The 1st and 2nd Amendments protect my religion.

So, fine, but FUCK JESUS!! He is a lie. Never existed. A figment of some homeless beggers' diseased imaginations.

Wow, you're awfully bitter and hostile. Guess those people who came to your house and dragged you to church at gunpoint were a little rough on you, huh?

Oh, what's that? No one has dragged you to church at gunpoint? So you're going on this hateful, offensive, childish rant in response to being "forced to be religious" when it never actually happened?

I see. You are dismissed. Call me when you grow up and learn to express yourself as an adult human, rather than an adolescent chimpanzee flinging shit.

--Tyr's day (Tuesday)
--Thor's day (Thursday)
--Frigg's day (Friday)

Wow, you're awfully bitter and hostile. Guess those people who came to your house and dragged you to church at gunpoint were a little rough on you, huh?

Oh, what's that? No one has dragged you to church at gunpoint? So you're going on this hateful, offensive, childish rant in response to being "forced to be religious" when it never actually happened?

I see. You are dismissed. Call me when you grow up and learn to express yourself as an adult human, rather than an adolescent chimpanzee flinging shit.
Whose shit are you flinging? :biggrin:

• No, but it should be taxed like any other for profit business.
You mean like unions?

Unions aren't based on superstition.

Unions provide training, healthcare, and retirement benefits for members.
I don't care. I am asking you should they be taxed like unions.

Unions provide training, healthcare, and retirement benefits for members. Religion provides a warm fuzzy feeling.

You mean like unions?

Unions provide training, healthcare, and retirement benefits for members. Religion provides a warm fuzzy feeling.
You sure that’s all religions provide?

You mean like unions?

Yes.

You mean like unions?

Yes.
Would you bet your life on it?

Yes.

Dead is Dead. There aren't any virgins waiting for you no matter what your handlers are telling you.

Yes.

Dead is Dead. There aren't any virgins waiting for you no matter what your handlers are telling you.
That’s good because i wasn’t expecting any.

But you didn’t answer my question. Would you bet your life that all religion has provided is a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Yes.

But you didn’t answer my question. Would you bet your life that all religion has provided is a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Sure I did. Dead Is Dead.

Yes.

Sure I did. Dead Is Dead.
I’m sure you think that answered the question, but alive is alive.

Even if all religion could somehow be banned we’d still be faced with the reality of human psychology and the peculiar evolutionary detritus left over from the survival value of group think and mass psychology. So, the central problem isn’t any of the human invented myths of idiology, fairies up in the sky, Shakti, Shiva or any other absurdities, it’s what we are that’s the problem.
Dictatorial ideology knew this and still does. Even President Toadstool understands the power of mass rallies over his Trumpanzees. Not much different from sunday mass really.

Even if all religion could somehow be banned we’d still be faced with the reality of human psychology and the peculiar evolutionary detritus left over from the survival value of group think and mass psychology. So, the central problem isn’t any of the human invented myths of idiology, fairies up in the sky, Shakti, Shiva or any other absurdities, it’s what we are that’s the problem.
Dictatorial ideology knew this and still does. Even President Toadstool understands the power of mass rallies over his Trumpanzees. Not much different from sunday mass really.
Do you know how natural selection works?

Sadly not as effectively as I’d like it to given what your response demonstrates.

Sadly not as effectively as I’d like it to given what your response demonstrates.
I’m not sure what you meant by that but would you agree that the two main components of natural selection are functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation?

Even if all religion could somehow be banned we’d still be faced with the reality of human psychology and the peculiar evolutionary detritus left over from the survival value of group think and mass psychology. So, the central problem isn’t any of the human invented myths of ideology, fairies up in the sky, Shakti, Shiva or any other absurdities, it’s what we are that’s the problem.
I’m not sure what you meant by that but would you agree that the two main components of natural selection are functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation?
In large yes, but not always. I hold to the thesis Arthur Koestler elucidated in his “The Ghost in The Machine’ where he suggests human evolution involved a unique and dangerously fast development, the explosion of the size of our forebrain and consequent imbalance with the primitive reptilian brain. Why would this matter? Well, we are the only species on the planet smart enough to be able to trigger our own extinction ( nuclear war, global warming etc) yet still possess that primitive part of our brains likely to facilitate mindless aggression on a scale too easy to imagine.

Even if all religion could somehow be banned we’d still be faced with the reality of human psychology and the peculiar evolutionary detritus left over from the survival value of group think and mass psychology. So, the central problem isn’t any of the human invented myths of ideology, fairies up in the sky, Shakti, Shiva or any other absurdities, it’s what we are that’s the problem.
In large yes, but not always. I hold to the thesis Arthur Koestler elucidated in his “The Ghost in The Machine’ where he suggests human evolution involved a unique and dangerously fast development, the explosion of the size of our forebrain and consequent imbalance with the primitive reptilian brain. Why would this matter? Well, we are the only species on the planet smart enough to be able to trigger our own extinction ( nuclear war, global warming etc) yet still possess that primitive part of our brains likely to facilitate mindless aggression on a scale too easy to imagine.
Are you trying to say that you believe human intelligence is not a functional advantage?

If not, can you give me an example where functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage are not the two main components of natural selection?

Every religion today is a lie. So yes they should all eventually be eliminated. I would hope a more evolved humans wouldn’t believe the Mohammad or Moses stories.

Everyone agrees with me. You just believe in one more religion than I do. You know the other thousands of religions are fake and should go away.

I don’t mean outlawed. I just mean less and less people buying into it so in 1000 years Christianity will be like the Greek gods. Kids will learn about ancient religions like Mormons and jehovas

Forum List

Back