Zone1 Should the government bring back payphones?

I wouldn't tell them something like that regardless of whether I let them use my phone or not. It does put me in a rather difficult position though...particularly after dark. Someone could use a request like that to mask malicious intent.

I wish I could just point them to a payphone like I could back in the 1990s.

Just say NO.

It only takes 10 seconds or less for a hacker to place a spy app on your phone, so they can download all of your info on it.

Thats why I don't have ANY personal apps on my phone. My personal business is done on my home computer, not my phone.
If I lose my phone, I'm really just losing a phone, not my personal information...............other than my phone list. But I keep that on a backup file on my pc.

No bank info on my phone.
No personal info on my phone.
No work info on my phone.
Just apps for the phone itself, some security phone stuff, and a couple of phone games.

I hated the multi-factor authentication when they implemented it at work specifically because it requires a worker to have a smartphone on which to receive the text verification, at the worker's own expense. Now I understand more how it enhances security but I really disliked it in the beginning. I didn't even like having my phone available to me when working but you have to adjust otherwise crap like Crowdstrike occurs :-(

Unnecessary. It both requires you to own a cellphone even if you have no other need for it, and it requires you to pay extra for texting services, again, for no other reason, especially as THEY ALREADY HAD a system in place which gave you the third party notification over your standard landline.

Landlines require more infrastructure maintenance. Cellphones require global supply chains. Rising costs of global shipping break the chains. Very basic landline phones may become more common for a while, where people have money for urban conveniences. I don't see government paying for much of the phone infrastructure beyond its own use in government buildings. The more rural areas may not have any phone service, maybe some telegraph or something low power and low tech.

So they can be vandalized again… this time, at the taxpayers expense.
Yep...some of them would get vandalized a lot. In fact...maintaining one million payphones alone might cost the federal government over a billion dollars per year. I'd still be in favor of it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back