Should the Republican Congress send a balanced budget amendment to the States?

Should the Republican Congress send a balanced budget amendment to the States?

• Total voters

I happen to be a firm believer in requiring our federal government to balance the budget on an annual basis. To not do so opens the door to accumulating a massive federal debt, as has happened, depriving our nation’s younger generation of their economic liberty in that they are now in debt to the tune of $127 Trillion! See You Think The Deficit Is Bad? Federal Unfunded Liabilities Exceed $127 Trillion

My personal choice for a balanced budget amendment is following what our Founders intended, and is reflected in the FAIR SHARE BALANCED BUDGET AMENDMENT which follows.

The Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment

“SECTION 1. The Sixteenth Amendment is hereby repealed and Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money.

NOTE: these words would return us to our founding father’s ORIGINAL TAX PLAN as they intended it to operate! They would also end the experiment with allowing Congress to lay and collect taxes calculated from lawfully earned "incomes" which now oppresses America‘s economic engine and robs the bread which working people have earned when selling their labor!

"SECTION 2. Congress ought not raise money by borrowing, but when the money arising from imposts duties and excise taxes are insufficient to meet the public exigencies, and Congress has raised money by borrowing during the course of a fiscal year, Congress shall then lay a direct tax at the beginning of the next fiscal year for an amount sufficient to extinguish the preceding fiscal year's deficit, and apply the revenue so raised to extinguishing said deficit."

NOTE: Congress is to raise its primary revenue from imposts and duties, [taxes at our water’s edge], and may also lay miscellaneous internal excise taxes on specifically chosen articles of consumption. But if Congress borrows and spends more than is brought in from imposts, duties and miscellaneous excise taxes during the course of a fiscal year, then, and only then, is the apportioned tax to be laid.

"SECTION 3. When Congress is required to lay a direct tax in accordance with Section 1 of this Article, the Secretary of the United States Treasury shall, in a timely manner, calculate each State's apportioned share of the total sum being raised by dividing its total population size by the total population of the united states and multiplying that figure by the total being raised by Congress, and then provide the various State Congressional Delegations with a Bill notifying their State’s Executive and Legislature of its share of the total tax being collected and a final date by which said tax shall be paid into the United States Treasury."

NOTE: our founder’s fair share formula to extinguish an annual deficit would be:

States’ population

---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S FAIR SHARE

Total U.S. Population

The above formula, as intended by our founding fathers, is to insure that those states who contribute the lion’s share of the tax are guaranteed a representation in Congress proportionately equal to their contribution, i.e., representation with proportional financial obligation!

Note also that each State’s number or Representatives, under our Constitution is determined by the rule of apportionment:

State`s Pop.
------------------- X House size (435) = State`s No. of Representatives
U.S. Pop.

"SECTION 4. Each State shall be free to assume and pay its quota of the direct tax into the United States Treasury by a final date set by Congress, but if any State shall refuse or neglect to pay its quota, then Congress shall send forth its officers to assess and levy such State's proportion against the real property within the State with interest thereon at the rate of ((?)) per cent per annum, and against the individual owners of the taxable property. Provision shall be made for a 15% discount for those States paying their share by ((?))of the fiscal year in which the tax is laid, and a 10% discount for States paying by the final date set by Congress, such discount being to defray the States' cost of collection."

NOTE: This section respects the Tenth Amendment and allows each state to raise its share in its own chosen way in a time period set by Congress, but also allows the federal government to enter a state and collect the tax if a state is delinquent in meeting its obligation.

"SECTION 5. This Amendment to the Constitution, when ratified by the required number of States, shall take effect no later than (?) years after the required number of States have ratified it.

JWK

“…..with all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens—a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities“. Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address

Not just no, but HELL NO!

We do not live in the 18th Century, no matter how the reactionary right spins the issues, the world is a much different place than it was 200 + years ago.

Right, now the politicians can spend us into bankruptcy. There is no effective constraint on their larceny. That would have been unthinkable in the 18th century.

Blame the problem on Bush/Cheney who cut taxes and engaged in a long and unnecessary war of choice. Then and only then can we have a real debate on reform. Your idea of reform is to cut benefits to the needy, raise their taxes too, and give corporations and the very wealthy more and more and more.

You're a fool, and fools are necessary for the power elite to keep and gain power.

I'm not interested in responding to any knee-jerk liberal attempts to blame the debt on Republicans.

The debt is the responsibility of both the D's and R's, that's obvious. Any person who attempts to recapitulate the phrase, "tax and spend Democrats" either slept through the past three and one half decades or is a liar.

THANK YOU! The D's and R's have become masterful in dividing the people by claiming their different.

JWK

Today’s corrupted politics is all about the Benjamins, and which political party's leadership can put their hand deeper into the productive working person’s pocket.

Buy the book on Fair Tax. My tax rate is none of your business.

Rub the "book" on your chest! The “book” is a misrepresentation of the “fairtax” [H.R. 25] and nothing more than propaganda! THE "FAIRTAX" DOES NOT END TAXES CALUCLATED FROM LAWFULLY EARNED INCOMES!

JWK

To support Jeb Bush is to support a continuance of Obama's illegal immigration tyranny!

"The Fair Tax Act is designed to replace all federal income taxes(including the alternative minimum tax,corporate income taxes, and capital gains taxes),payroll taxes(includingSocial Security and Medicare taxes),gift taxes, and estate taxes with a national retail sales taxon new goods and services. The legislation would remove the Internal Revenue Service(after three years), and establish an Excise Tax Bureau and a Sales Tax Bureau in the Department of the Treasury.

A study by Kotlikoff and Sabine Jokisch concluded that the long-term effects of the FairTax would reward low-income households with 26.3% more purchasing power, middle-income households with 12.4% more purchasing power, and high-income households with 5% more purchasing power."

If that study is correct, it does make me more interested in the Fair Tax Act.

I got the study from a website and did not check to see if it was accurate. I suspect those that favor the Fair Tax will use favorable numbers and those that oppose it will use unfavorable numbers.

Favorable numbers are irrelevant to the fact that THE "FAIRTAX" DOES NOT END TAXES CALUCLATED FROM LAWFULLY EARNED INCOMES!

JWK

Yes it does. I explained it to you in post #158.

Rub the "book" on your chest! The “book” is a misrepresentation of the “fairtax” [H.R. 25] and nothing more than propaganda! THE "FAIRTAX" DOES NOT END TAXES CALUCLATED FROM LAWFULLY EARNED INCOMES!

JWK

To support Jeb Bush is to support a continuance of Obama's illegal immigration tyranny!

"The Fair Tax Act is designed to replace all federal income taxes(including the alternative minimum tax,corporate income taxes, and capital gains taxes),payroll taxes(includingSocial Security and Medicare taxes),gift taxes, and estate taxes with a national retail sales taxon new goods and services. The legislation would remove the Internal Revenue Service(after three years), and establish an Excise Tax Bureau and a Sales Tax Bureau in the Department of the Treasury.

A study by Kotlikoff and Sabine Jokisch concluded that the long-term effects of the FairTax would reward low-income households with 26.3% more purchasing power, middle-income households with 12.4% more purchasing power, and high-income households with 5% more purchasing power."

I got the study from a website and did not check to see if it was accurate. I suspect those that favor the Fair Tax will use favorable numbers and those that oppose it will use unfavorable numbers.

Favorable numbers are irrelevant to the fact that THE "FAIRTAX" DOES NOT END TAXES CALUCLATED FROM LAWFULLY EARNED INCOMES!

JWK

Your explanation is in error as only a constitutional amendment can end taxes calculated from lawfully earned incomes.

I believe Jefferson was talking to you when he wrote:

"In matters of Power, let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution"

JWK

JWK

Your explanation is in error as only a constitutional amendment can end taxes calculated from lawfully earned incomes.

"In matters of Power, let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution"

JWK

You are dead wrong. The tax code is raised and lowered on a regular basis by Congress. It has been as high as 90% for high wage earners.

JWK

JWK

You are dead wrong. The tax code is raised and lowered on a regular basis by Congress. It has been as high as 90% for high wage earners.

I am not wrong. Only a constitutional amendment can end taxes calculated from lawfully earned incomes.

JWK

JWK

JWK

I am not wrong. Only a constitutional amendment can end taxes calculated from lawfully earned incomes.

JWK

When Bush lowered the tax rates for all taxpayers that had lawfully earned incomes, I maintain, if he could have got Congress to go along with it, he could have lowered all tax rates to ZERO. And that would not require a Constitutional Amendment.

No one is arguing that to eliminate the present or the next President and Congress from raising the tax rates back up would not require repeal of the 16th Amendment.

Taxes could be ended temporarily by Congress with the Fair Tax, but it would require repeal to make it permanent.

Last edited:

JWK

JWK

When Bush lowered the tax rates for all taxpayers that had lawfully earned incomes, I maintain, if he could have got Congress to go along with it, he could have lowered all tax rates to ZERO. And that would not require a Constitutional Amendment.

No one is arguing that to eliminate the present or the next President and Congress from raising the tax rates back up would not require repeal of the 16th Amendment.

Taxes could be ended temporarily by Congress with the Fair Tax, but it would require repeal to make it permanent.

The "FairTax" [H.R. 25] makes no effort to end all taxes calculated from profits gains and other lawfully earned incomes.

JWK

[

The second step is what I call "Repeal ObamaCare...and then what?" He doesn't really say. Just some meaningless "patient-centered reforms" throwaway phrase. We've have been debating ObamaCare for 7 years now (7 YEARS!), and the GOP STILL HAS NOT COUGHED UP AN ALERNATIVE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN. What are we supposed to do, trust them to come up with a solution to the problem after they repeal ObamaCare?

I don't THINK so! Show us the plan first.

Same thing for his Medicare reform. Show us the plan, then we'll talk.

Ryan also talks about block grants to the states for Medicaid and food stamps. This, I don't have much of a problem with.

Actually Paul Ryan provided a very effective alternative to "Obamacare" which is based on the FEHB program that Federal Employees use.
Under the plan the government pays a set amount toward employee health premiums, which can be applied to a range of approved health plans offered by a number of insurers.

The key to the FEHB is that numerous private insurers offer competing plans and federal workers choose which plan they prefer. All plans must be open to all participants, meaning that no one can be denied for pre-existing conditions. Competition among insurers spurs efficiency, and the fact the federal employees wanting a more expensive plan must pay the higher premium on their own makes individuals more cost-conscious.

So you are incorrect in saying the Republicans don't have an alternate plan in providing millions who need it health care. Having patients contribute towards the cost of higher alternative plans of coverage, is actually a good idea, people should pay into more expensive plans if that is what they prefer. Patient contribution helps with the cost associated with bigger insurance plans, as well as prevents unwarranted costly expenses from those who would otherwise abuse the system when they never have any financial stake towards contributing to its use.

JWK

JWK

The "FairTax" [H.R. 25] makes no effort to end all taxes calculated from profits gains and other lawfully earned incomes.

JWK

"The FairTax is a proposal to reform the federal tax code of the United States. It would replace all federal income taxes (including the alternative minimum tax, corporate income taxes, and capital gains taxes), payroll taxes(including Social Security and Medicare taxes), gift taxes, and estate taxes with a single broad national consumption tax on retail sales. The Fair Tax Act (H.R. 25/S. 155) would apply a tax, once, at the point of purchase on all new goods and services for personal consumption."

[

The second step is what I call "Repeal ObamaCare...and then what?" He doesn't really say. Just some meaningless "patient-centered reforms" throwaway phrase. We've have been debating ObamaCare for 7 years now (7 YEARS!), and the GOP STILL HAS NOT COUGHED UP AN ALERNATIVE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN. What are we supposed to do, trust them to come up with a solution to the problem after they repeal ObamaCare?

I don't THINK so! Show us the plan first.

Same thing for his Medicare reform. Show us the plan, then we'll talk.

Ryan also talks about block grants to the states for Medicaid and food stamps. This, I don't have much of a problem with.

Actually Paul Ryan provided a very effective alternative to "Obamacare" which is based on the FEHB program that Federal Employees use.

The only acceptable and conservative "alternative to Obamacare" is to follow our Constitution which forbids the federal government entering the states and meddling in the people's health care and medical needs.

JWK

Obamacare by consent of the governed, Article 5, our Constitution`s amendment process. Tyranny by a majority vote in Congress or a Supreme Court's majority vote

JWK

JWK

JWK

"The FairTax is a proposal to reform the federal tax code of the United States. It would replace all federal income taxes (including the alternative minimum tax, corporate income taxes, and capital gains taxes), payroll taxes(including Social Security and Medicare taxes), gift taxes, and estate taxes with a single broad national consumption tax on retail sales. The Fair Tax Act (H.R. 25/S. 155) would apply a tax, once, at the point of purchase on all new goods and services for personal consumption."

The alleged "fairtax" does not withdraw Congress' power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains, salaries and all other lawfully earned "incomes".

H.R. 25 proposes to create two new taxes, a 23 percent tax upon the purchase of articles of consumption, and another 23 percent tax upon the sale of labor, and would not withdraw Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other incomes.

The text of the proposed fair tax reads in part:

TITLE IV--SUNSET OF SALES TAX IF SIXTEENTH AMENDMENT NOT REPEALED
SEC. 401. ELIMINATION OF SALES TAX IF SIXTEENTH AMENDMENT NOT REPEALED.

“If the Sixteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States is not repealed before the end of the 7-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, then all provisions of, and amendments made by, this Act shall not apply to any use or consumption in any year beginning after December 31 of the calendar year in which or with which such period ends, except that the Sales Tax Bureau of the Department of the Treasury shall not be terminated until 6 months after such December 31.”

In other words, if H.R. 25 were adopted by Congress the 23 percent tax goes into effect immediately. But if after a seven year period, during which time the America People become use to paying and complying with the tax, and the Sixteenth Amendment is not repealed, Congress will end the 23 percent tax. And if one believes that baloney ….

But let’s pretend H.R. 25 is adopted and the Sixteenth Amendment is repealed before the seven year period. Well surprise, surprise! Congress still maintains power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other incomes.

The fact is, prior to the adoption of the 16th Amendment the Supreme Court in Flint vs. Stone Tracy upheld the Corporate “Excise” Tax of 1909 which was an “excise” tax laid upon the “privilege” of being a corporation, and the amount of tax to be paid was calculated from the Corporations’ profits and gains! Although the tax is not an income tax as such, but an excise tax, it still allows Congress to collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes”, which is exactly what we have now. And so, the repeal of the 16th Amendment is meaningless unless the wording of the repeal contains language I have been suggesting for years:

The Sixteenth Amendment is hereby repealed and Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money

But the progressives behind the alleged fair tax are determined to keep alive Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “income” in order to get at those evil corporate profits, as would be done with a Nancy Pelosi type “windfall profits excise tax”. And this is one of the reasons H.R. 25 creates an “Excise Tax Bureau” which is in addition to the “Sales Tax Bureau” , and will be ready, if H.R.25 went into effect, to re-establish the very miseries which we now experience under the IRS and an “income tax” --- a tax also calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes”.

If the authors of the alleged fair tax were sincere about removing from Congress’ powers its power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes” and not trying to pull something slick over the American People, H.R. 25 would contain a stipulation in its language that the fair tax shall not go into operation until the 16th Amendment is repealed and the repeal would contain the language I stated above. Keep in mind that our existing Constitution contained a stipulation which required its ratification by nine States before it could be put into operation!

But don’t expect our fair tax point men such as Mike Huckabee, Neal Boortz, Herman Cain, and others, to address the above facts and unwind the con job written into H.R. 25. Their job is to mesmerize the unsuspecting with a con artists’ hook --- that our beloved IRS will be closed down and “income taxes” will come to a screeching halt.

JWK

Read the freaken fair tax bill so we don’t have to find out what’s in it if passes.

No because Americans refuse to be taxed at a rate that would support the government, pay down the debt and have a surplus for emergencies.

If that was all the government did with tax money they would already have a balanced budget.
Explain.

This is a small portion of wasted taxpayer money in 2014 and there are thousands more over the years where these came from.

Swedish massages for rabbits: $387,000

Teaching Mountain Lions to Ride a Treadmill: $856,000

Studying how many times “hungry” people stab a voodoo doll: $331,000

Studying the gambling habits of monkeys: $171,000

Producing the children’s musical: Zombie in Love: $10,000

Funding a “Stoner Symphony”: $15,000

Subsidizing Alpaca Poop: $50,000

Funding Climate Change Alarmist Video Game: $5.2 million

Synchronized Swimming for Sea Monkeys: $307,524

GOP WARS - $2.4 trillion

Typical GOP looks for the small stuff and changes the words to suit his agenda.... GOP are the most wasteful and worst financial record...

When is the last time a GOP President reduced the Deficit over his watch?

JWK

JWK

The alleged "fairtax" does not withdraw Congress' power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains, salaries and all other lawfully earned "incomes".

H.R. 25 proposes to create two new taxes, a 23 percent tax upon the purchase of articles of consumption, and another 23 percent tax upon the sale of labor, and would not withdraw Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other incomes.

The text of the proposed fair tax reads in part:

TITLE IV--SUNSET OF SALES TAX IF SIXTEENTH AMENDMENT NOT REPEALED
SEC. 401. ELIMINATION OF SALES TAX IF SIXTEENTH AMENDMENT NOT REPEALED.

“If the Sixteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States is not repealed before the end of the 7-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, then all provisions of, and amendments made by, this Act shall not apply to any use or consumption in any year beginning after December 31 of the calendar year in which or with which such period ends, except that the Sales Tax Bureau of the Department of the Treasury shall not be terminated until 6 months after such December 31.”

In other words, if H.R. 25 were adopted by Congress the 23 percent tax goes into effect immediately. But if after a seven year period, during which time the America People become use to paying and complying with the tax, and the Sixteenth Amendment is not repealed, Congress will end the 23 percent tax. And if one believes that baloney ….

But let’s pretend H.R. 25 is adopted and the Sixteenth Amendment is repealed before the seven year period. Well surprise, surprise! Congress still maintains power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other incomes.

The fact is, prior to the adoption of the 16th Amendment the Supreme Court in Flint vs. Stone Tracy upheld the Corporate “Excise” Tax of 1909 which was an “excise” tax laid upon the “privilege” of being a corporation, and the amount of tax to be paid was calculated from the Corporations’ profits and gains! Although the tax is not an income tax as such, but an excise tax, it still allows Congress to collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes”, which is exactly what we have now. And so, the repeal of the 16th Amendment is meaningless unless the wording of the repeal contains language I have been suggesting for years:

The Sixteenth Amendment is hereby repealed and Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money

But the progressives behind the alleged fair tax are determined to keep alive Congress’ power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “income” in order to get at those evil corporate profits, as would be done with a Nancy Pelosi type “windfall profits excise tax”. And this is one of the reasons H.R. 25 creates an “Excise Tax Bureau” which is in addition to the “Sales Tax Bureau” , and will be ready, if H.R.25 went into effect, to re-establish the very miseries which we now experience under the IRS and an “income tax” --- a tax also calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes”.

If the authors of the alleged fair tax were sincere about removing from Congress’ powers its power to lay and collect taxes calculated from profits, gains and other “incomes” and not trying to pull something slick over the American People, H.R. 25 would contain a stipulation in its language that the fair tax shall not go into operation until the 16th Amendment is repealed and the repeal would contain the language I stated above. Keep in mind that our existing Constitution contained a stipulation which required its ratification by nine States before it could be put into operation!

But don’t expect our fair tax point men such as Mike Huckabee, Neal Boortz, Herman Cain, and others, to address the above facts and unwind the con job written into H.R. 25. Their job is to mesmerize the unsuspecting with a con artists’ hook --- that our beloved IRS will be closed down and “income taxes” will come to a screeching halt.

JWK

Read the freaken fair tax bill so we don’t have to find out what’s in it if passes.

I got as far as your quote of Title IV, Sec 401 where the LAW clearly states if the sixteenth Amendment is not repealed in 7 years "all provisions of, and amendments made by, this Act shall not apply" and in the next paragraph you called that baloney. I call it the LAW.

No because Americans refuse to be taxed at a rate that would support the government, pay down the debt and have a surplus for emergencies.

If that was all the government did with tax money they would already have a balanced budget.
Explain.

This is a small portion of wasted taxpayer money in 2014 and there are thousands more over the years where these came from.

Swedish massages for rabbits: $387,000

Teaching Mountain Lions to Ride a Treadmill: $856,000

Studying how many times “hungry” people stab a voodoo doll: $331,000

Studying the gambling habits of monkeys: $171,000

Producing the children’s musical: Zombie in Love: $10,000

Funding a “Stoner Symphony”: $15,000

Subsidizing Alpaca Poop: $50,000

Synchronized Swimming for Sea Monkeys: $307,524

GOP WARS - $2.4 trillion

Typical GOP looks for the small stuff and changes the words to suit his agenda.... GOP are the most wasteful and worst financial record...

When is the last time a GOP President reduced the Deficit over his watch?

The last time I remembered the deficit being reduced a Republican Congress dragged Clinton along kicking and screaming all the way, then taking credit for it. Without the Democrats approving and funding the wars, the money would not have been spent.
Now get someone with a brain to explain to you what this means. "This is a small portion of wasted taxpayer money in 2014 and there are thousands more over the years where these came from."

I got as far as your quote of Title IV, Sec 401 where the LAW clearly states if the sixteenth Amendment is not repealed in 7 years "all provisions of, and amendments made by, this Act shall not apply" and in the next paragraph you called that baloney. I call it the LAW.

Of course you did not read the import part of the post which follows:

JWK

Last edited:

JWK

I do not believe the H.R. 25 will be passed by the Congress, but if I am wrong and it does pass the House and the Senate, there is no doubt in my mind that Obama would veto it. Lets say it was passed and became law since you are into the pretending stage. The next Congress could repeal it immediately. That is what happens ALL the time to the US tax code.

JWK

I do not believe the H.R. 25 will be passed by the Congress, but if I am wrong and it does pass the House and the Senate, there is no doubt in my mind that Obama would veto it. Lets say it was passed and became law since you are into the pretending stage. The next Congress could repeal it immediately. That is what happens ALL the time to the US tax code.

And that is why the correct approach is to pass a constitutional amendment, such as the Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment.

The Fair Share Balanced Budget Amendment

“SECTION 1. The Sixteenth Amendment is hereby repealed and Congress is henceforth forbidden to lay ``any`` tax or burden calculated from profits, gains, interest, salaries, wages, tips, inheritances or any other lawfully realized money.

NOTE: these words would return us to our founding father’s ORIGINAL TAX PLAN as they intended it to operate! They would also end the experiment with allowing Congress to lay and collect taxes calculated from lawfully earned "incomes" which now oppresses America‘s economic engine and robs the bread which working people have earned when selling their labor!

"SECTION 2. Congress ought not raise money by borrowing, but when the money arising from imposts duties and excise taxes are insufficient to meet the public exigencies, and Congress has raised money by borrowing during the course of a fiscal year, Congress shall then lay a direct tax at the beginning of the next fiscal year for an amount sufficient to extinguish the preceding fiscal year's deficit, and apply the revenue so raised to extinguishing said deficit."

NOTE: Congress is to raise its primary revenue from imposts and duties, [taxes at our water’s edge], and may also lay miscellaneous internal excise taxes on specifically chosen articles of consumption. But if Congress borrows and spends more than is brought in from imposts, duties and miscellaneous excise taxes during the course of a fiscal year, then, and only then, is the apportioned tax to be laid.

"SECTION 3. When Congress is required to lay a direct tax in accordance with Section 1 of this Article, the Secretary of the United States Treasury shall, in a timely manner, calculate each State's apportioned share of the total sum being raised by dividing its total population size by the total population of the united states and multiplying that figure by the total being raised by Congress, and then provide the various State Congressional Delegations with a Bill notifying their State’s Executive and Legislature of its share of the total tax being collected and a final date by which said tax shall be paid into the United States Treasury."

NOTE: our founder’s fair share formula to extinguish an annual deficit would be:

States’ population

---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S FAIR SHARE

Total U.S. Population

The above formula, as intended by our founding fathers, is to insure that those states who contribute the lion’s share of the tax are guaranteed a representation in Congress proportionately equal to their contribution, i.e., representation with proportional financial obligation!

Note also that each State’s number or Representatives, under our Constitution is determined by the rule of apportionment:

State`s Pop.
------------------- X House size (435) = State`s No. of Representatives
U.S. Pop.

"SECTION 4. Each State shall be free to assume and pay its quota of the direct tax into the United States Treasury by a final date set by Congress, but if any State shall refuse or neglect to pay its quota, then Congress shall send forth its officers to assess and levy such State's proportion against the real property within the State with interest thereon at the rate of ((?)) per cent per annum, and against the individual owners of the taxable property. Provision shall be made for a 15% discount for those States paying their share by ((?))of the fiscal year in which the tax is laid, and a 10% discount for States paying by the final date set by Congress, such discount being to defray the States' cost of collection."

NOTE: This section respects the Tenth Amendment and allows each state to raise its share in its own chosen way in a time period set by Congress, but also allows the federal government to enter a state and collect the tax if a state is delinquent in meeting its obligation.

"SECTION 5. This Amendment to the Constitution, when ratified by the required number of States, shall take effect no later than (?) years after the required number of States have ratified it.

JWK

"In matters of power let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution". ...Jefferson

JWK

The discussion pertaining to the excise tax in 1909 and the Founder's belief that Congress has the authority to levy taxes, it would be important to note that Federal Income tax as a means to collect revenue was deemed unConstitutional following the civil war. The original intent of the Federal Income Tax was to help pay for the war as it's only purpose, when it was believed to be used as a permanent means to collect revenue, it met strict resistance and was struck down. So the idea that Congress had the open authority and original intent by our Founders to simply levy any new tax as it feels it requires on the people, is entirely untrue. Do your research on the history of the Federal Income tax, as it relates to President Lincoln and the civil war.

Forum List

Back