Should we stifle freedom of speech for fear of muslims?

Jones is a jack ass but he is doing good work on making Islam and Muslims look intolerant.

Pastor denied permit ahead of mosque protest
It's possible Rev. Terry Jones could be arrested if he carries through with the protest Fri., says Dearborn, Mich. spokeswoman

image6843323g.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich. - Dearborn has denied a permit to a Florida pastor who plans to protest outside a mosque in the Michigan city.

Dearborn spokeswoman Mary Laundroche tells The Detroit News it's possible the Rev. Terry Jones could be arrested if he carries through with the protest Friday outside the Islamic Center of America. Jones has said he plans to demonstrate outside the mosque with or without a permit.

Wayne County prosecutors say they fear the protest could lead to violence, and a judge has ordered Jones to appear Thursday to answer questions about the event. Prosecutors want him to post a "peace bond" to pay for additional police officers during the demonstration.

Pastor denied permit ahead of mosque protest - CBS News

There you have it. every time you make a muslim unhappy you must fear violence? why is that?

yeah, i'm not really seeing how they're going to block him. so long as he's peaceful...

but i can't blame dearborn for trying either.

You should.
The elected government there said no to this. Most of Dearborn is Muslim. They are supposed to act in the interest of their constituents and within the law. They've done only half of what they are supposed to do. They know that, but they also know they want to be reelected. I blame them for only doing half of their job, but I do understand their move. They are appealing to the masses, and ignoring the other half of their requirement, but the masses won't remember that sticky detail come election day.

Luckily, we have three equally powerful branches of government at all levels. The protesters take this to court and win on the unconstitutionality of it.

Well I suport this morons right to free speech.

Weird link. I copied these paragraphs but the link at the bottom goes to a new article? I'll put some cut from the new one up below the link.

"The issue is also being watched very closely by the ACLU of Michigan, which planned to have a representative in the courtroom today. The organization wants to make sure Jones' First Amendment rights are not being violated, said ACLU of Michigan spokeswoman Rana Elmir.

Also today, Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services Director Hassan Jaber issued a statement backing Jones' right to protest — and residents' right to criticize him.

"At ACCESS, we work to empower people to become fully engaged members of their community," Jaber said.

"We cannot teach the U.S. Constitution in our citizenship classes while opposing First Amendment rights. So we support Mr. Jones' right to speak, but we do so with our own post script: That his message of bigotry and hate does not resonate here."

From The Detroit News: Jones to post bond for protest | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Dearborn — A Dearborn judge today ruled that a Quran-burning pastor must pay a peace bond if he wants to protest the Islamic Center of America on Good Friday.

Judge Mark Somers of 19th District Court in Dearborn ruled that prosecutors proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Terry Jones’ planned demonstration on a small median outside the Ford Road mosque could breach the pace. If Jones doesn’t post the bond, he could be ordered to stand trial, Somers ruled about 3:25 p.m.

Last edited:
Also today, Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services Director Hassan Jaber issued a statement backing Jones' right to protest — and residents' right to criticize him.

"At ACCESS, we work to empower people to become fully engaged members of their community," Jaber said.

"We cannot teach the U.S. Constitution in our citizenship classes while opposing First Amendment rights. So we support Mr. Jones' right to speak, but we do so with our own post script: That his message of bigotry and hate does not resonate here."
:clap2:

Finally. Wish more would speak up just as this guy did.

This guy has a right to protest but is it the right thing to do. We either have a constitution or we don't. Ignore the idiot and he will go away. He has found a way to get on the Today Show and that is what he is after, this is more attention that he has seen since the last time we wet his bed.

I don't understand how the pseudo-cons who wholeheartedly supported President Bush who also forced protester into "Free Speech" zones could be against Dearborn for allowing this freaky pastor from Fla. to protest in one of the Free Speech Zones?

Any of the connies going to pony up and admit that they supported the Free Speech Zones when it came to protests against President Bush and the invasion of Iraq?

Jones is a jack ass but he is doing good work on making Islam and Muslims look intolerant.

Yeah in Afghanistan. Big suprise.

From The Detroit News: Jones to post bond for protest | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Doesn't matter where it is, people see an Afghan mob going crazy on tv and ransacking a UN base and beheading people, it speaks volumes, just like a few idiot Soldiers going on a killing spree in Afghanistan gives Muslims the opinion that wer just there to kill them.

Finally, wish more would listen when these guys speak up.

Doesn't matter where it is, people see an Afghan mob going crazy on tv and ransacking a UN base and beheading people, it speaks volumes, just like a few idiot Soldiers going on a killing spree in Afghanistan gives Muslims the opinion that wer just there to kill them.

I think it would say alot more about Western Muslims if it happend in Detroit and not Afghanistan. Maybe we'd like to see how the Muslims in Dearborn react to overt protest. The guy can still protest legally from the "Free Speech Zone" I guess they were left over from one of President Bushes visits????

I think it would say alot more about Western Muslims if it happend in Detroit and not Afghanistan. Maybe we'd like to see how the Muslims in Dearborn react to overt protest. The guy can still protest legally from the "Free Speech Zone" I guess they were left over from one of President Bushes visits????

Well I think if Muslims here tried something like this all hell would break loose, they are just a small minority here, plus I think most Muslims who live in the US know better than to get violent over something some stupid hick pastor did. The problem is, most Americans associate Muslims with what they see going on over in Iraq and Afghanistan so when they see that Afghan mob, they don't differentiate.

Finally, wish more would listen when these guys speak up.

Yeah, especially Muslims. :thup:

yeah, i'm not really seeing how they're going to block him. so long as he's peaceful...

but i can't blame dearborn for trying either.

You should.
The elected government there said no to this. Most of Dearborn is Muslim. They are supposed to act in the interest of their constituents and within the law. They've done only half of what they are supposed to do. They know that, but they also know they want to be reelected. I blame them for only doing half of their job, but I do understand their move. They are appealing to the masses, and ignoring the other half of their requirement, but the masses won't remember that sticky detail come election day.

Luckily, we have three equally powerful branches of government at all levels. The protesters take this to court and win on the unconstitutionality of it.

umm...wrong most of Dearborn is not muslim, i'd say maybe 30% at most.

You should.

My bad. It just looked that way to most of us Grosse Pointers.

My bad. It just looked that way to most of us Grosse Pointers.

Yeah.. i know what you mean. If you only go to east Dearborn you would get a scewed perspective.

The pastor has said he fears for his life and now carries a firearm at all times. Now he wants to go to a predominantly muslim area and protest them. This does not make for peaceful demonstrations. Even if he does not take his weapon with him what is he trying to prove? What is he trying to say that hasn't already been said? Without a doubt he has the right to go anywhere and say anything he wants as long as he follows the law.

My problem would be, if I lived there, why do I have to foot the bill to provide protection for him so he can try and pick a fight? If he does end up getting assaulted he should call 911 like everyone else. No one else gets police protection before they pick a fight.

Forum List

Back