Should you let your families beliefs influence your beliefs?

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
What if you don't necessarily agree with all the beliefs of your families religion and you decide you want to have a religion based on your beliefs. Should you stay with you families religion because that's your families religion, or should you have a religion despite what your family thinks?

What if you don't necessarily agree with all the beliefs of your families religion and you decide you want to have a religion based on your beliefs. Should you stay with you families religion because that's your families religion, or should you have a religion despite what your family thinks?
You only have but one life, that I am aware. Live it for yourself.

I totally agree with that. Lucky I share the same beliefs as my family and have same religion. I just don't think you should dedicate yourself to a religion that you don't agree with just because you are worried about what your family would think.

I totally agree with that. Lucky I share the same beliefs as my family and have same religion. I just don't think you should dedicate yourself to a religion that you don't agree with just because you are worried about what your family would think.
It is a personal decision that can be made difficult by the tolerance, or lack thereof, of the other family members. Luckily I have a tolerant and forgiving family because I am nothing like them in regards to religion or politics.

Family's.

First, I find the premise of your question ridiculous.

Second, I could not possibly imagine an adult adhering to a belief system with which the do not agree simply to keep peace in the family. That is an incredibly weak person. It's one thing to suffer through it as a child, but as an adult? Foolishness.

Its just a general question. Should you let your beliefs be influenced by your families beliefs? There are some real religious families, and some children grow up in those families. Should the child when they get older be worried what their family thinks? Should they worry about disappointing their family? or should they just make their family happy by staying in that religion?

This is not a personal question. I was just reading an article and that question came to mind.
I DO NOT think your beliefs should be influenced by your families beliefs if you DO NOT agree.
I am 30 years old I do not let anyone influence any of my beliefs or actions.
Why cant anyone just respond to a question by simply stating whether or not they agree or disagree and why?

I think its ridiculous when someone responds to a question with such an uneducated response, showing their lack of comprehension skills.

Well, living with my Grandparents while I was growing up (was orphaned at 8), they had a pretty decent belief in God, but they didn't go to any organized churches. They did have a Bible, and they read it, and thought that living by the rules outlined in it were a pretty good idea.

They were also very bigoted individuals. When I shipped out to boot camp, they told me that I was going to meet some really great people who would be life long friends, and to bring anyone home when I came back to visit.

Just make sure that the people I brought home were white.

Well, my time in the military pretty much trained out any kind of bigotry in me, and I couldn't understand why they thought like they did.

Now? I am a Taoist with a strong belief in something larger than me, and I really don't like hanging around bigots.

Of course not, everyone is an individual and should develop their own religious beliefs, or Atheistic beliefs in spite of your family's religion. It may create discord but you need to follow your own beliefs.

There are many life decisions that family member's don't agree with, but to answer your question no.
If a person is living in a way only to please others, it will backfire some where along the way....either that or the person will live unhappy and hypocritically .

Forum List

Back