Shut-down official. Republicans last-minute "No wait! We wanna talk now!!" ignored

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
WASHINGTON — A flurry of last-minute moves by the House, Senate and White House late Monday failed to break a bitter budget standoff over President Obama’s health care law, setting in motion the first government shutdown in nearly two decades.

After a series of rapid-fire back and forth legislative maneuvers, leaders of the House and Senate acknowledged there would not be a resolution in time to stop a shutdown before a midnight deadline, even as the House took steps to open talks. But Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, dismissed as game-playing the House proposal to begin conference committee negotiations.

“We will not go to conference with a gun to our heads,” he said, demanding that the House accept the Senate’s six-week stopgap spending bill, which has no policy prescriptions, before negotiations begin.

The impasse meant that 800,000 federal workers were to be furloughed and more than a million others would be asked to work without pay. The Office of Management and Budget issued orders that “agencies should now execute plans for an orderly shutdown due to the absence of appropriations” because Congress had failed to act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/us/politics/congress-shutdown-debate.html?_r=0

So. That was that then.

Good times.

Congratulations!

• Banned
I'm going to be helping a friend of mine who does transcription for the Navy courts. She's a civilian, so she won't be saved. Just a few years from retirement ... my heart goes out to her.

I'm going to be helping a friend of mine who does transcription for the Navy courts. She's a civilian, so she won't be saved. Just a few years from retirement ... my heart goes out to her.

We're a FEW MINUTES into a shutdown and you're already whining with pointless personal anecdotes. Give me a break

Not really my thing to make sure your little government employee keeps her job if it means the entire nation has to submit to obiecare. Maybe your little girl who probably falls under one of the obeicare exemptions should wonder why she is losing her job over giving everyone the exemption she gets.

This shutdown is entirely the fault of House Republicans. They own it. They put ideology ahead of country. This is a manufactured crisis of their own choosing because they'd rather use extortion to get rid of a law they don't like instead of winning enough elections to repeal it legislatively.

They suck. Period.

Debt ceiling is next and that's even worse.

Assholes.

Is it just me or is anybody else having trouble giving a shit about overpaid government workers having to wait a while for their paychecks? About a third of them should lose their jobs anyway, they're useless.

Well, then, the Democrats are officially to blame for this. They just rejected the last chance to negotiate and perhaps breach the impasse on the CR.

:eusa_boohoo:

Nope. We won't negotiate with terrorists, and they pulled the trigger. Hats off to the Teabaggers.

Your Dear Leader will prostrate himself to talk to every tinpot dictator on this planet, but won't talk to Republicans to keep the government functioning and you blame Republicans? You are a very silly person.

This shutdown is entirely the fault of House Republicans. They own it. They put ideology ahead of country. This is a manufactured crisis of their own choosing because they'd rather use extortion to get rid of a law they don't like instead of winning enough elections to repeal it legislatively.

They suck. Period.

Assholes.

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Obama's 2 trillion a year in deficit spending should be reason enough for both parties to try and get it under control.

Great news Dems, Reps will lose the 2014 and 2016 elections then the utopia begins, and with that everything that goes wrong can solely be blamed on Democrats! I hope you get your way, I really really do seeing as I hate both you pos parties.

They suck. Period.

Assholes.

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Obama's 2 trillion a year in deficit spending should be reason enough for both parties to try and get it under control.

Yep, but not by holding the debt ceiling hostage. The games these idiots play. But this is about the shut down and there was no reason for them not to pass a continuing resolution to fund the Government for another couple months to try to work out their differences. They are not going to change Obamacare by holding their breath until they turn blue. It doesn't work that way.

They suck. Period.

Assholes.

The shutdown is entirely the fault of the Democrats. They haven't passed a budget for 5 years (which would have avoided all this drama), they refuse to negotiate with Republicans and instead adopt a "It's our way or the highway" and now get all pissy when Republicans passed a CR fully funding all of the government except Obamacare so it would be postponed for the same year that Obama postponed it for his cronies and it's the Republicans who put ideology ahead of country.

You're a fool and your side is everything you accuse Republicans of being.

Great news Dems, Reps will lose the 2014 and 2016 elections then the utopia begins, and with that everything that goes wrong can solely be blamed on Democrats! I hope you get your way, I really really do seeing as I hate both you pos parties.

Works for me. Lets see what happens if this scenario plays out. Lets actually let the majority party govern for a change and see what happens.

Works for me. Lets see what happens if this scenario plays out. Lets actually let the majority party govern for a change and see what happens.
We saw that already during Obama's first two years when the debt exploded.

Forum List

Back