since you need a rifle anyway, why not have

srlip

May 5, 2014
a REAL rifle, with 1/4 mile sniping ability, 200 yd varmint or deer capability, ability to use .22lr, ability to have luminous night sights, silencer, etc. I'd borrow the money in a heartbeat, sell the car and get a cheaper one (or do without one for a while) live in an old van for a while, etc. Auto rifles are too likely to be banned (or have the prices driven up due to ban fears). Get one while you can (or at least, a finished lower receiver ("$150) and you can add the parts later. Or get a $100, 80% finished receiever, in the mail, no FFL dealer involved. :)

a REAL rifle, with 1/4 mile sniping ability, 200 yd varmint or deer capability, ability to use .22lr, ability to have luminous night sights, silencer, etc. I'd borrow the money in a heartbeat, sell the car and get a cheaper one (or do without one for a while) live in an old van for a while, etc. Auto rifles are too likely to be banned (or have the prices driven up due to ban fears). Get one while you can (or at least, a finished lower receiver ("$150) and you can add the parts later. Or get a $100, 80% finished receiever, in the mail, no FFL dealer involved. :)

Which caliber, make and model fits your bill?

You better have your running shoes on if you shoot a deer at 1/4 mile with a .22. If you made a good shot chances are he will die of blood poisoning in a week about ten miles away.

I've known people to kill large game with a 22. When I hunt deer I don't mess around. I use my savage chambered for 223. Save the 22 for squirrel hunting or rabbit.

I've known people to kill large game with a 22. When I hunt deer I don't mess around. I use my savage chambered for 223. Save the 22 for squirrel hunting or rabbit.

We were just discussing this in another thread.

How long have you been whitetail hunting with the .223?

I do not think a .223 is big enough for deer hunting. Granted, it will kill one if the shot is placed right. But I agree with the states that require at least a .243/6mm. My minimum is a .270Win.

I do not think a .223 is big enough for deer hunting. Granted, it will kill one if the shot is placed right. But I agree with the states that require at least a .243/6mm. My minimum is a .270Win.

I don't use anything smaller than a 40mm........

M224-60mm-mortar.jpg

No need for a butcher but all you're limited to is ground venison......... Chew carefully though......

M224-60mm-mortar.jpg

No need for a butcher but all you're limited to is ground venison......... Chew carefully though......

Do low information anti-2nd Amendment radicals even know what a 81 MM mortar is? I expect it don't matter.

M224-60mm-mortar.jpg

Do low information anti-2nd Amendment radicals even know what a 81 MM mortar is? I expect it don't matter.

Actually that one is a 60mm but most wouldn't know a mortar from a metal tent peg.

I've killed several deers with the 223. I use a deer stand and most shots are 50-100 yards. All the ones I've shot have dropped dead in their tracks. Coyotes don't stand a chance out to 200 yards.

I've killed several deers with the 223. I use a deer stand and most shots are 50-100 yards. All the ones I've shot have dropped dead in their tracks. Coyotes don't stand a chance out to 200 yards.

The .223 makes an excellent coyote round. But then, coyote run between 20 and 50 lbs. A whitetail runs twice that at a minimum.

I understand that the .223 is accurate and fast. And that the speed translates into substantial hydrostatic shock. I just have my reservations about hunting a 150 to 220 lbs wild animal with a bullet smaller than 70 grains.

The late Jack O'Connor said he could hunt any game with a .270. And to be fair, he did kill an elephant with it. But I would not call a .270 Win an elephant round.

M224-60mm-mortar.jpg

:lol: Ummm, I hat to break it to ya...but that's a four deuce! Not a 40mm!

M224-60mm-mortar.jpg

Ummmm, hate to break it to ya but it's a M224, 60mm......... :eusa_whistle:

M224-60mm-mortar.jpg

Ummmm, hate to break it to ya but it's a M224, 60mm......... :eusa_whistle:

Really? Damn! I failed my identification test!:lol: I saw the circular baseplate and jumped to my faulty conclusion!

A .270 will kill most every animal in the lower 48. You might want to step up to a 30.06 for mule deer,but other then that a .270 will do for most animals in the U.S.

Marlin 337 30-30 for deer hunting. Case closed.

I am guessing that you mean a Marlin 336?

And if you are hunting in a wooded area, a 30-30 is an excellent choice.

If you are hunting more open areas the ballistics of the 30-30 becomes problematic. Zero the rifle at 100 yards, and the bullet drops 7" at 200 yards and 16" at 250 yards.

Like I said, in a wooded area, the Marlin 336 in 30-30 makes an excellent deer rifle. But the case is certainly not closed. My .270 can do anything your 30-30 can do at closer ranges, and does MUCH better at greater distances.

Forum List

Back