Six veterans on Tim Walz’s and JD Vance’s military service: Letters to the Editor in Election 2024 forum and not Military forum.

I've started this thread knowing full well some few here would show up to troll it
That is exactly why you started this thread. You were looking for a fight.
all while ignoring the content, just seeking to make personal attacks on me
You count on it. It's the opening point you use to attack others. You said you expected it. You actually welcome it.
Thing is here, neither you nor Liability (BackAgain), is ignorant of what you are doing
We are not ignorant of what Procrustes (Dante) is doing. You invite Liability to kick your ass. He does, and then you invite Him back to kick your ass again.
If you don't want conflict, stop posting threads knowing full well...

And yet again the dainty refuses to man up and post on topic in his own idiot fail thread.

I’ll assist him because, clearly, he isn’t up to the simple matter of posting on topic:

You know, after a certain point the topic SHOULD be “why can’t Walz be honest about his service?”

As I have noted in the past, I maintain he deserves some props for having served at all. But why does he lie about that service so frequently?

None of the dainty’s transparently fraudulent efforts to prop-up tiny Timmy would ever dare to address THAT question.
again

note: just search "again" with "Procrustes stretched"

That is exactly why you started this thread. You were looking for a fight.

You count on it. It's the opening point you use to attack others. You said you expected it. You actually welcome it.

We are not ignorant of what Procrustes (Dante) is doing. You invite Liability to kick your ass. He does, and then you invite Him back to kick your ass again.
If you don't want conflict, stop posting threads knowing full well...
Wrong. Stop projecting.

Weird view of it all.

Your bullshit smells like Dandelions more than Roses. Keep trying "A" for effort.

Let's try to
:th_Back_2_Topic_2:

What can I do or say about this? I choose not to make it a partisan political attack or defense. I searched each of the 6 letters to see if any of these people would. I don't see that here. I do see some criticisms that go to what we know candidates and partisans have said. All six letters seem to have avoided what we mostly see here @ usmb and in the media in general.

I salute the patriotism, decency, virtue, and honor these six individuals display here.

But is about the election and campaigns.

Opinion - Letters to the Editor - August 18, 2024

Six veterans on Tim Walz’s and JD Vance’s military service

What do ‘stolen valor’ and ‘at war’ really mean? And what do veterans owe each other?

First of six
:

As a military veteran, I find it both disheartening and deeply disturbing to see the disparaging comments made by one set of fellow veterans aimed at others who served honorably, claiming that difficult personal decisions constitute “stolen valor” or even traitorous behavior.

I served as a commissioned officer for 42 years, almost 34 of which I spent on active duty. I did not serve in direct combat nor formally deploy, though I did take assignments in 13 locations — two of them overseas — and numerous trips to combat zones in the Balkans, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. My career was punctuated by many choices I had to make to balance my service with personal demands.

My colleagues and I served alongside countless National Guard members and reservists, without whom we could not have delivered lifesaving and rehabilitative care during numerous wars and humanitarian crises. I remain in awe of these soldier-citizens who balanced jobs and family and community responsibilities with the demands of national service. The injuries, illnesses and wounds they suffered — most of which were the result of training or strenuous military jobs and not direct combat — often changed their lives forever. Many lost their lives.

For any of us fellow veterans to find fault with personal decisions made by these dedicated public servants about how and when they served is beyond unfortunate.

I did not have the opportunity to work with the Republican vice-presidential candidate, despite helping to care for many of his fellow Marines. I am grateful for his service. I accompanied then-Rep. Tim Walz and members of the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee to visit Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. Mr. Walz’s work ethic, communication skills and grasp of the tactical to the strategic were remarkable. As a retired Army National Guard senior noncommissioned officer, he understood the military and military families.

The military branches have clear guidance about the characterization of service in uniform, regardless of the length of time served or the component in which one served. “Honorable” best describes what all of us aspire to achieve and ought to be the sole descriptor for those who do so.

Eric B. Schoomaker, Silver Spring

The writer is a retired lieutenant general who served as Army surgeon general and the commanding general for the U.S. Army Medical Command.

--------------------------------------------------

I've started this thread knowing full well some few here would show up to troll it, all while ignoring the content, just seeking to make personal attacks on me. Fine. It comes with the territory.

What is so pathetic and sad a thing is this happens when I am not really commenting beyond the OP. I'm sharing the heartfelt views of military veterans who have all spoken about honor.

I think of this: "If someone is ill mannered by ignorance, let it pass rather than point it out." - Erasmus in his 1534 essay De Civitate

Thing is here, Liability (BackAgain), is not ignorant of what he is doing.

What can I do or say about this? I choose not to make it a partisan political attack or defense. I searched each of the 6 letters to see if any of these people would. I don't see that here. I do see some criticisms that go to what we know candidates and partisans have said. All six letters seem to have avoided what we mostly see here @ usmb and in the media in general.

I salute the patriotism, decency, virtue, and honor these six individuals display here.

But is about the election and campaigns.

Opinion - Letters to the Editor - August 18, 2024

Six veterans on Tim Walz’s and JD Vance’s military service

What do ‘stolen valor’ and ‘at war’ really mean? And what do veterans owe each other?

First of six
:

As a military veteran, I find it both disheartening and deeply disturbing to see the disparaging comments made by one set of fellow veterans aimed at others who served honorably, claiming that difficult personal decisions constitute “stolen valor” or even traitorous behavior.

I served as a commissioned officer for 42 years, almost 34 of which I spent on active duty. I did not serve in direct combat nor formally deploy, though I did take assignments in 13 locations — two of them overseas — and numerous trips to combat zones in the Balkans, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. My career was punctuated by many choices I had to make to balance my service with personal demands.

My colleagues and I served alongside countless National Guard members and reservists, without whom we could not have delivered lifesaving and rehabilitative care during numerous wars and humanitarian crises. I remain in awe of these soldier-citizens who balanced jobs and family and community responsibilities with the demands of national service. The injuries, illnesses and wounds they suffered — most of which were the result of training or strenuous military jobs and not direct combat — often changed their lives forever. Many lost their lives.

For any of us fellow veterans to find fault with personal decisions made by these dedicated public servants about how and when they served is beyond unfortunate.

I did not have the opportunity to work with the Republican vice-presidential candidate, despite helping to care for many of his fellow Marines. I am grateful for his service. I accompanied then-Rep. Tim Walz and members of the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee to visit Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. Mr. Walz’s work ethic, communication skills and grasp of the tactical to the strategic were remarkable. As a retired Army National Guard senior noncommissioned officer, he understood the military and military families.

The military branches have clear guidance about the characterization of service in uniform, regardless of the length of time served or the component in which one served. “Honorable” best describes what all of us aspire to achieve and ought to be the sole descriptor for those who do so.

Eric B. Schoomaker, Silver Spring

The writer is a retired lieutenant general who served as Army surgeon general and the commanding general for the U.S. Army Medical Command.

The point is, walz dishonored his service by lying about it. He never carried a weapon in war and didn't retire as a sergeant major as he and kneepads have claimed. That say's a lot about their character.

again

note: just search "again" with "Procrustes stretched"
And yet AGAIN the twatwaffle troll, the dainty, cannot control his urge to engage in off topic trolling — even in his own fail thread.

Fear not. The topic was some shit designed to disguise what Timmy Walz did and falsely claimed.

It won’t work, the dainty. The record is already quite clear. As we all know.

Defining ‘stolen valor’

As a retired Navy captain, it saddens me that JD Vance is accusing Tim Walz of “stolen valor” apparently for not having personally served in Iraq. Mr. Vance is mistaken about the term, which actually means wearing combat ribbons although never having served in actual combat and pretending to be a combat veteran. Mr. Walz has never claimed to have served in Iraq, nor is his Army uniform decorated with combat ribbons he was never awarded. I respect both Mr. Vance and Mr. Walz for having served in the military and for earning the title of veteran.

It’s disingenuous for Mr. Vance to not only denigrate a fellow veteran for political gain but also to question the patriotism of a man who served as a U.S. Army command sergeant with more than two decades of honorable service to our county. Mr. Vance needs to apologize to Mr. Walz, and he owes our nation and the rest of our proud veterans an apology as well.

Reg Mitchell, Bethesda

So this letter mischaracterizes what Vance said. walz claimed to have carried a weapon IN WAR, which he never did. He could have said he carried a weapon DURING WAR TIME, which would have been accurate, but he chose to LIE.

So this letter mischaracterizes what Vance said. walz claimed to have carried a weapon IN WAR, which he never did. He could have said he carried a weapon DURING WAR TIME, which would have been accurate, but he chose to LIE.

It is people like you who are mischaracterizing things. Like you've just done here.

next

The right to retire

Sen. JD Vance’s attack on the military record of Gov. Tim Walz is offensive to all veterans. As a Vietnam veteran, I learned that how, when, where — or even if — soldiers are sent into combat is a matter of pure chance, and that all of us soldiers endured the possibility of being called to this duty every day until our country permitted us to leave the military.

I served in combat but was permitted to leave after two years, which I did (with great relief). Mr. Walz was not called to combat for 24 years and had the right to resign before he was called, which he did. Mr. Vance and I could have extended our duties, but we chose not to. Mr. Walz and Mr. Vance both deserve a thank-you for their service.

No veterans who have honorably served our country should be judged for when or why they exercised their choice to leave the military when permitted to do so.

John Satorius, Minneapolis

I've never disputed his right to retire, the lies about his service is another topic altogether.

Forum List

Back