SJW's have ruined Movies/TVseries

Is there an entity bankrolling modern film producers to cover and insure all of their losses?

• Total voters
Anyone here a fan of The Witcher? What Lauren Hissrich and Netflix have done to this franchise is a perfect example of how badly SJWs damage the integrity of our arts.

I am a fan of the games and of the show. I enjoyed the a great deal, best Netflix show since the Umbrella Academy
They need to make the next season of that show already - one of the better superhero shows.

Um, that's not all that abnormal for Marvel at all. Genius characters that can create and understand all sorts of crazy stuff are all over the place. Besides Shuri, you have characters like Amadeous Cho, Moon Girl, Valeria Richards...Marvel has long used the idea that some people are ridiculously intelligent as an easy way to pass off any kind of technology they want. They do it with children, too.

The movies have a lot of canon to try to deal with. Superscience has long been a superpower. Generally there is an explanation for it. None was given for Shuri. And even allowing for that, they were over the top with it.

Your example of Spiderman, was a good one. THe difference in the way they dealt with the interactions between an older and massively accomplished superhero, and a young but bright and relevant character, really showed the difference between doing it right and not.

What explanation was given for Tony Stark's superscience? How about Bruce Banner's? Hank Pym's? The only explanation is they are all geniuses and therefor any technology they want to give those characters is to be accepted. I'm not sure how that's different with Shuri.

Also, what specifically is over the top about Shuri, as opposed to the other such characters Marvel has used in the movies?

Correct. Tony Stark's super science requires a suspension of disbelief. You need an additional suspension of disbelief, that the answer to so many problems, ie build an army of Iron Men, is never done.

Bruce Banner's super science requires some suspension of disbelief, though his super science is not that super, and it is very believable that they don't want to do that to more people.

Hank Pym's super science requires suspension of disbelief. His accomplishments, seem less world saving than Starks, so the lack of an army of Ant Men, seems more believable.

Shuri's super science requires a suspension of disbelief. THat she is super science, at age 16 as opposed to the other Mad Scientists listed, who mastered their fields as adults, requires another suspension of disbelief. That her brother is a super hero, requires another suspension of disbelief. That her family maintained secrecy of hiding a secret the size of a nation, for centuries, requires another suspension of disbelief. Vibranium, requires another suspension of disbelief. That a nation ruled by a warrior king with a warrior culture, and a massive tech advantage, never waged war, for centuries, requires another suspension of disbelief. The cloaking field, requires another suspension of disbelief.

Seven is a lot more than one or two. That is what is over the top about Black Panther.

You list those things about Shuri in Black Panther as if each of the other characters didn't have tons of different things requiring suspension of disbelief in their various movies. That's very disingenuous.

No, I really don't know of Iron Man or the Incredible Hulk, or Ant Man, requiring so many suspensions of disbelief.

If you can list them, the way I did for Black Panther, I will consider your list.
Off the top of my head: Stark being able to build that massive suit out of a couple of missiles in a cave. The suit being able to protect him from the impact of his fall, after being able to fly, again being built from a couple of missiles. Stark seemingly unaware his weapons might ever fall into enemy hands.
Pym being able to not just shrink objects, but reduce their mass. Speaking to ants. Any bit of pseudoscience or tech being passed off with use of the word quantum (they even make fun of themselves for that).
Banner gaining mass when becoming the Hulk. Hulk’s unexplained changes in intelligence.

I’m sure there are many more.

There is clearly some excellent examples of moves and/or shows that have gone down the crapper because of the asinine social pandering that has been forced into them despite a story line that does not flow with it.

Black panther is not one of those examples.

I respectfully disagree.

Dude. Don't be a fucking asshole.

I am not the one being an asshole, you are bashing a movie for not covering 50 years worth of comic books in one 2 hour movie.

Your race baiting, is you being an asshole.

I can have a conversation with someone being an asshole. I do it here all the time. But I will be pointing out that you are being as asshole, and I will be treating you accordingly.

Do you want to be treated, as though you are an asshole? DO you feel you deserve that?

Or, you could, you know, just drop the race baiting.

I do not give a flying fuck how you treat me, quit being suck a fucking snowflake for the love of god.

And while you are at it, quit bashing a movie for not covering 50 years worth of comic books in one 2 hour movie

Complaining about your shitty behavior, is not "being a snowflake". You are being a race baiting asshole.

There was a host of unexplained fantastical elements in the movie. That was a flaw. That was my only point is bringing it up.

It was one of a number of flaws.
More retreating and name-calling. Heritage? Culture?

Complaining about your shitty behavior, is not "being a snowflake". You are being a race baiting asshole.

There was a host of unexplained fantastical elements in the movie. That was a flaw. That was my only point is bringing it up.

I am not the one being an asshole, you are bashing a movie for not covering 50 years worth of comic books in one 2 hour movie.

I can have a conversation with someone being an asshole. I do it here all the time. But I will be pointing out that you are being as asshole, and I will be treating you accordingly.

Do you want to be treated, as though you are an asshole? DO you feel you deserve that?

I do not give a flying fuck how you treat me, quit being suck a fucking snowflake for the love of god.

And while you are at it, quit bashing a movie for not covering 50 years worth of comic books in one 2 hour movie

Yet you have no issues at all with all of the unexplained fantastical elements in movies like Star Wars.

The movies have a lot of canon to try to deal with. Superscience has long been a superpower. Generally there is an explanation for it. None was given for Shuri. And even allowing for that, they were over the top with it.

Your example of Spiderman, was a good one. THe difference in the way they dealt with the interactions between an older and massively accomplished superhero, and a young but bright and relevant character, really showed the difference between doing it right and not.

What explanation was given for Tony Stark's superscience? How about Bruce Banner's? Hank Pym's? The only explanation is they are all geniuses and therefor any technology they want to give those characters is to be accepted. I'm not sure how that's different with Shuri.

Also, what specifically is over the top about Shuri, as opposed to the other such characters Marvel has used in the movies?

Correct. Tony Stark's super science requires a suspension of disbelief. You need an additional suspension of disbelief, that the answer to so many problems, ie build an army of Iron Men, is never done.

Bruce Banner's super science requires some suspension of disbelief, though his super science is not that super, and it is very believable that they don't want to do that to more people.

Hank Pym's super science requires suspension of disbelief. His accomplishments, seem less world saving than Starks, so the lack of an army of Ant Men, seems more believable.

Shuri's super science requires a suspension of disbelief. THat she is super science, at age 16 as opposed to the other Mad Scientists listed, who mastered their fields as adults, requires another suspension of disbelief. That her brother is a super hero, requires another suspension of disbelief. That her family maintained secrecy of hiding a secret the size of a nation, for centuries, requires another suspension of disbelief. Vibranium, requires another suspension of disbelief. That a nation ruled by a warrior king with a warrior culture, and a massive tech advantage, never waged war, for centuries, requires another suspension of disbelief. The cloaking field, requires another suspension of disbelief.

Seven is a lot more than one or two. That is what is over the top about Black Panther.

You list those things about Shuri in Black Panther as if each of the other characters didn't have tons of different things requiring suspension of disbelief in their various movies. That's very disingenuous.

No, I really don't know of Iron Man or the Incredible Hulk, or Ant Man, requiring so many suspensions of disbelief.

If you can list them, the way I did for Black Panther, I will consider your list.
Off the top of my head: Stark being able to build that massive suit out of a couple of missiles in a cave. The suit being able to protect him from the impact of his fall, after being able to fly, again being built from a couple of missiles. Stark seemingly unaware his weapons might ever fall into enemy hands.
Pym being able to not just shrink objects, but reduce their mass. Speaking to ants. Any bit of pseudoscience or tech being passed off with use of the word quantum (they even make fun of themselves for that).
Banner gaining mass when becoming the Hulk. Hulk’s unexplained changes in intelligence.

Those examples are actually, all tied into ONE suspension of disbelief, ie their Super Science.

except for the speaking to ants one. That is an additional suspension of disbelief. ANd quite a big one. The Ant Man movies really strike me as being much more....

Actually, the whole Ant Man tech is really, really bad, even for super science. It really does fall more into bad movie/guilty pleasure category. The second one especially.

Those examples are actually, all tied into ONE suspension of disbelief....

wow, where have I heard that before? hmmmmm

Neither antman movie was worth watching, both were just terrible.

Both were terrible. There were enough enjoyable elements in the first one, to make it a guilty pleasure in my opinion. THe main character was somewhat sympathetic, and there were quite a good deal of humor.

Both were terrible. There were enough enjoyable elements in the first one, to make it a guilty pleasure in my opinion. THe main character was somewhat sympathetic, and there were quite a good deal of humor.

I could not make it through either one, for me there was no pleasure to be guilty for in those movies.

See, subjectivity! Neither Ant Man movie was terrible IMO. I thought the second was better than the first; in the first movie, the humor seemed too forced, while it flowed more smoothly with the serious parts in the second.

Those examples are actually, all tied into ONE suspension of disbelief, ie their Super Science.

except for the speaking to ants one. That is an additional suspension of disbelief. ANd quite a big one. The Ant Man movies really strike me as being much more....

Actually, the whole Ant Man tech is really, really bad, even for super science. It really does fall more into bad movie/guilty pleasure category. The second one especially.

Stark seemingly not realizing his tech could fall into enemy hands isn't tied to his pseudoscience.

Shuri's brother being a superhero is tied to pseudoscience, since the Black Panther drink is due to the vibranium. Similarly, the ability to maintain Wakanda's secrecy is also tied to that vibranium pseudoscience. Ditto the cloaking field.

The point being that, of course, Marvel movies require a lot of suspension of disbelief!

Yet you have no issues at all with all of the unexplained fantastical elements in movies like Star Wars.

Let's compare how Black Panther and a New Hope, introduced these fantastical elements, and explained them.

1. Massive impossible high tech? In a New Hope, the tech is presented as presumably developed by an advanced technological society, of thousands of worlds, over , at least, thousands of years more than we have here. In Black Panther the high tech is presumably developed in the same time period the rest of the world developed our normal tech, only in secret and with a far smaller tech base than the rest of the world.

2. Human enhancement? In New Hope, the best they had was some bionics, that was if anything was suspiciously weak considering how advanced the society was. In Black Panther, magic plant that for some reason only grew in Wakanda, and for some reason could not or just was not mass produced ever.

3. Mysticism. IN New Hope, the Force helped the main character make a tough shot. In Black Panther, the main character got some advice in a dream. Both are pretty acceptable, imo.

Let's compare how Black Panther and a New Hope, introduced these fantastical elements, and explained them.

1. Massive impossible high tech? In a New Hope, the tech is presented as presumably developed by an advanced technological society, of thousands of worlds, over , at least, thousands of years more than we have here. In Black Panther the high tech is presumably developed in the same time period the rest of the world developed our normal tech, only in secret and with a far smaller tech base than the rest of the world.

2. Human enhancement? In New Hope, the best they had was some bionics, that was if anything was suspiciously weak considering how advanced the society was. In Black Panther, magic plant that for some reason only grew in Wakanda, and for some reason could not or just was not mass produced ever.

3. Mysticism. IN New Hope, the Force helped the main character make a tough shot. In Black Panther, the main character got some advice in a dream. Both are pretty acceptable, imo.

1. In New Hope it is never mentioned or even hinted at, the tech is just there. How does a speeder hoover? How does a ship jump to light speed? Why is there no negative effects to an entire planet being destroyed? Why are there only 2 Sith?

See, subjectivity! Neither Ant Man movie was terrible IMO. I thought the second was better than the first; in the first movie, the humor seemed too forced, while it flowed more smoothly with the serious parts in the second.

THe shrinking tech was not treated with any consistency.

What did you think about Thor: Ragnarok?

Stark seemingly not realizing his tech could fall into enemy hands isn't tied to his pseudoscience.

Shuri's brother being a superhero is tied to pseudoscience, since the Black Panther drink is due to the vibranium. Similarly, the ability to maintain Wakanda's secrecy is also tied to that vibranium pseudoscience. Ditto the cloaking field.

The point being that, of course, Marvel movies require a lot of suspension of disbelief!

1. Agreed, the idea that Stark would be shocked that his weapons could fall into enemy hands was monumentally stupid. I had blocked that one. Hollywood writes can be such morons.

2. That is a really versatile substance. Special vibration qualities, and special medicinal properties and special optical properties.

1. In New Hope it is never mentioned or even hinted at, the tech is just there. How does a speeder hoover? How does a ship jump to light speed? Why is there no negative effects to an entire planet being destroyed? Why are there only 2 Sith?

1. THe society is presented as being really, really old. It would take, at least thousands of years for humans to spread out like that. More likely more. A society that has been interstellar for literally tens of thousands of years, would have a lot of high tech. If Black Panther was set 30 thousand years in the future, I would have no problem with them having a lot of high tech.

2. Why would there be negative effects to a planet blowing up?

3. 2 sith? Seems to be a tradition thing. The master and the apprentice always seen to be looking to take each other out. THe apprentice wants to become the master, and the master wants to replace the apprentice with someone newer and mor controllable. A better question is, how often does a master decide to be a lone wolf?

1. THe society is presented as being really, really old. It would take, at least thousands of years for humans to spread out like that. More likely more. A society that has been interstellar for literally tens of thousands of years, would have a lot of high tech. If Black Panther was set 30 thousand years in the future, I would have no problem with them having a lot of high tech.

3. 2 sith? Seems to be a tradition thing. The master and the apprentice always seen to be looking to take each other out. THe apprentice wants to become the master, and the master wants to replace the apprentice with someone newer and mor controllable. A better question is, how often does a master decide to be a lone wolf?

2. Gravity, perhaps you heard of it. In our solar system all the planet orbit the sun the way they do in part because of the others being where they are. If Mars was suddenly removed from the pattern all the other planet's orbits would be changed.

3. Where in the New Hope did Vader try and take out the Emperor?

What did you think about Thor: Ragnarok?

1. I thought they hammed it up too much with Thor at times.

2. And I disliked the way that Hela was stupid evil. She is going to conquer an empire, by killing her own people?

3. I am not very happy to see Asgard and the Asgardian people, nearly wiped out. Was that really necessary?

2. Gravity, perhaps you heard of it. In our solar system all the planet orbit the sun the way they do in part because of the others being where they are. If Mars was suddenly removed from the pattern all the other planet's orbits would be changed.

3. Where in the New Hope did Vader try and take out the Emperor?

2. I never got the idea that any of the other planets mentioned where in the Alderran system.

3. He did not.

Forum List

Back