Small Modular Reactors will be a big part of decarbonizing the planet

Crick

Gold Member
May 10, 2014
N/A
The US is now trying to catch up with Russia and China in building, fueling and selling small modular reactors as a rapid way to provide the world emission-free power. It appears as if it may not be as undoable - from a PR position - as has been thought.

Last edited:
To bad a large portion of his movement despises anything involving fission related power.
This my fusion face.

passando-mesmo-oh-brother.gif

Sometimes you gotta run what ya brung.

True. Will they ever figure out fusion? Maybe. Should they stop trying? No.

Cutting edge research and engineering like this always spins off useful innovations and advances that can be applied in other fields.

Nuclear power is a great energy source. Only thing that concerns me is wo they sell it to????

The waste can be turned into a dirty bomb.

The US is now trying to catch up with Russia and China in building, fueling and selling small modular reactors as a rapid way to provide the world emission-free power. It appears as if it may not be as undoable - from a PR position - as has been thought.

Once again we are late t the party.

Nuclear power is a great energy source. Only thing that concerns me is wo they sell it to????

The waste can be turned into a dirty bomb.

Only if we keep using the old light water reactors.

a Molten salt reactor can actually burn the nuclear waste from light water reactors

Last edited:

Cutting edge research and engineering like this always spins off useful innovations and advances that can be applied in other fields.
Should they do what they know how to right now? Yes.

Small modular nuclear is a good idea. In theory and practice.

Wayyyyy better than a huge Solar array that gets wiped out by an ice storm overnight.

And que surprise, it is very difficult to find the news of that, even though it only happened within the last 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Only if we keep using the old light water reactors.

a Molten salt reactor can actually burn the nuclear waste from light water reactors

Molten salt breeder reactors ... except these can also produce weapon's grade plutonium ... it's kitchen counter chemistry to make an atomic bomb once we have fissable material ...

We're not going to be putting these small units where they need to be ... impoverish third-world nations ... they get diesel generators ... a million grays of radiation kills 200,000 people, and that's just certain death, nevermind the long lasting effects of breaking one of these small units open ...

... and they will break open ...

The large centralized units are easier to protect and control ... and you can trust The Rich to do the right thing ... I promise ...

Molten salt breeder reactors ... except these can also produce weapon's grade plutonium ... it's kitchen counter chemistry to make an atomic bomb once we have fissable material ...

We're not going to be putting these small units where they need to be ... impoverish third-world nations ... they get diesel generators ... a million grays of radiation kills 200,000 people, and that's just certain death, nevermind the long lasting effects of breaking one of these small units open ...

... and they will break open ...

The large centralized units are easier to protect and control ... and you can trust The Rich to do the right thing ... I promise ...

No.

A thorium reactor does not produce weapon grade plutonium in fact it will get rid of it

No.

A thorium reactor does not produce weapon grade plutonium in fact it will get rid of it

I didn't mention thorium ... do you have a reactor up-and-running right now? ... and we still have 50 years of research and development before we see wide-spread use of this technology ...

Break a thorium reactor cell open ... how many grays of radiation? ... certainly less than light water reactors, but still ...

"Molten salt breeder reactors" is what I said ... something we can build today ... while we research and set regulatory guidelines for thorium technology ... except this time, put the back-up generators above high-water-line ... sheesh ...

I didn't mention thorium ... do you have a reactor up-and-running right now? ... and we still have 50 years of research and development before we see wide-spread use of this technology ...

Break a thorium reactor cell open ... how many grays of radiation? ... certainly less than light water reactors, but still ...

"Molten salt breeder reactors" is what I said ... something we can build today ... while we research and set regulatory guidelines for thorium technology ... except this time, put the back-up generators above high-water-line ... sheesh ...

OK so you think it's impossible to have a nuclear reactor without producing weapons grade plutonium even though the facts are presented to you that we can have nuclear power without that

Molten salt reactors are the next generation and forward thinking countries are working on them but not us

Yes, kinda. They're at the stage where the reaction gave more energy output than the energy input. So the way forward is to get the reaction time to last year's and not just seconds. I did read somewhere that the prediction was the first viable working fusion reactor to be within 70 years, so unless I hang around till I'm nearly 130, I won't see it boot up.

No.

"Are developing" is not something that can be done right now.

We need "right now" stuff.

Forum List

Back