Smoking rate for U.S. adults drops to record low...

Let's compare this way. In 1974 I worked for minimum wage at $2.10 an hour.......I could by a CARTON working one hour
Today, you would have to work eight hours to earn that carton

You liberals keep complaining that the modern minimum wage has the weakest buying power ever in history. I guess you want us to raise minimum wage to $58/hr now.

You don't think that impacted the amount of smoking?

This is a red herring no matter how many times you pose the question. Get back on topic. Does taxation reduce smoking? The answer is "no." Smoking is an addiction behavior. The majority of smokers want to quit. But they're addicted. They want to quit due to the substantial damage to their health smoking causes, but they're addicted. You're trying to argue that a little extra on the price of a pack of cigarettes will reduce their smoking. You really think that an extra $30 a month will overcome an addiction when their life and limb being on the line is insufficient to do the same?

The price of pack of cigarettes is NOT because of taxes, it's because of MANUFACTURES AND RETAILERS pricing their product in line with what people are willing to pay. The state with the highest sin tax on cigarettes is New York at $4.25 a pack. Completely eliminate all the taxes and the price is still higher today after adjusting for inflation.

Cigarettes kill and cost our nation much more in health care costs and lost time at work then they recover in taxes, Growers of tobacco, producers of cigarettes and purveyors of tobacco products are no different than crack dealers and the DOJ is as guilty and morally complicit as any drug dealer.

Cigarettes kill and cost our nation much more in health care costs and lost time at work then they recover in taxes, Growers of tobacco, producers of cigarettes and purveyors of tobacco products are no different than crack dealers and the DOJ is as guilty and morally complicit as any drug dealer.

Here's a solution: Have people pay for their own medical bills.

Let's compare this way. In 1974 I worked for minimum wage at $2.10 an hour.......I could by a CARTON working one hour

You liberals keep complaining that the modern minimum wage has the weakest buying power ever in history. I guess you want us to raise minimum wage to $58/hr now.

This is a red herring no matter how many times you pose the question. Get back on topic. Does taxation reduce smoking? The answer is "no." Smoking is an addiction behavior. The majority of smokers want to quit. But they're addicted. They want to quit due to the substantial damage to their health smoking causes, but they're addicted. You're trying to argue that a little extra on the price of a pack of cigarettes will reduce their smoking. You really think that an extra $30 a month will overcome an addiction when their life and limb being on the line is insufficient to do the same?

The price of pack of cigarettes is NOT because of taxes, it's because of MANUFACTURES AND RETAILERS pricing their product in line with what people are willing to pay. The state with the highest sin tax on cigarettes is New York at $4.25 a pack. Completely eliminate all the taxes and the price is still higher today after adjusting for inflation.

Damn boy.......When you are wrong, you really double down

History has already proven you wrong about taxation (Heavy taxation) reducing smoking. Read the OP to see how much
Smokers have wanted to quit for 40 years. The health impacts have been reported since the 60s.
What caused them to quit were fewer opportunities to smoke, escalating priced and social and family pressure
Once again the price of cigarettes are not a "little extra" it is a fivefold increase. Cigs used to be cheap even adjusted for inflation, now they cut into your budget. And yes........Most of the increase is from taxes

That's not a solution, it's absurd and will put responsible citizens in a hole from which they can never recover;.

History has already proven you wrong about taxation (Heavy taxation) reducing smoking. Read the OP to see how much
Smokers have wanted to quit for 40 years. The health impacts have been reported since the 60s.
What caused them to quit were fewer opportunities to smoke, escalating priced and social and family pressure
Once again the price of cigarettes are not a "little extra" it is a fivefold increase. Cigs used to be cheap even adjusted for inflation, now they cut into your budget. And yes........Most of the increase is from taxes

:lol:

When the math smacks you in the face, retreat back to propaganda!

Eliminate the taxes and most cigarettes are still more expensive today than they were in the 70s. There are also several brands of cigarettes that sell for as little as $2 a pack today, which blows your bullshit out of the water once again. Cigarette prices have risen because those making and selling them have increased the prices in order to generate better revenues.

Listen, parroting the same bullshit propaganda will not make you magically right. Either you don't have a clue how to apply standard business concepts, or you're intentionally being stupid. Either way, what you do not realize is that you're stupidly babbling about things that I do every single day in my line of work. My work literally revolves around maximizing revenue by balancing how much I can manage to charge per unit vs how many units I might sell.

That's not a solution, it's absurd and will put responsible citizens in a hole from which they can never recover;.

Smoking until your lungs fall out, then not being able to pay the resulting medical bills, is not exactly my idea of a "responsible" citizen.

:lol:

When the math smacks you in the face, retreat back to propaganda!

Eliminate the taxes and most cigarettes are still more expensive today than they were in the 70s. There are also several brands of cigarettes that sell for as little as $2 a pack today, which blows your bullshit out of the water once again. Cigarette prices have risen because those making and selling them have increased the prices in order to generate better revenues.

Listen, parroting the same bullshit propaganda will not make you magically right. Either you don't have a clue how to apply standard business concepts, or you're intentionally being stupid. Either way, what you do not realize is that you're stupidly babbling about things that I do every single day in my line of work. My work literally revolves around maximizing revenue by balancing how much I can manage to charge per unit vs how many units I might sell.
I am amazed you can find employment at all given your limited ability to draw statistical conclusions
To claim that fewer opportunities to smoke and price had nothing to do with the drop in smokers demonstrates your limitations

I am amazed you can find employment at all

Another ad hominem in place of your lack of any substance or logic.

given your limited ability to draw statistical conclusions

Correlation does not imply causation.

To claim that fewer opportunities to smoke

:wtf:

People can smoke whenever they want.

and price had nothing to do with the drop in smokers demonstrates your limitations

Continuing to claim this will not make it true. Continually repeating an unfounded assumption does not equate support for your premise.

Smoking until your lungs fall out, then not being able to pay the resulting medical bills, is not exactly my idea of a "responsible" citizen.

Nor is it mine. I responded to a post, not specifically focused on smokers and their health insurance.

I see OKTexas is still dodging.

The OP is good, the arguments against are failures.

Let's close the thread, please.

Pretty ironic. You people only want the government and 'control freaks' to stay out of your lives regarding certain behavior and choices you are in favor of. When it comes to something you don't approve of, it is a completely different story.
No I want them out of everything.

So there should be no laws against, say, murder? Assault? Robbery?

How after all is inflicting tobacco smoke on someone who doesn't choose to ingest it --- not assault?
Why is it you always have to go full retard.

Why is it you have nothing but ad hom when you've lost the argument or can't think of a contrarian quip, bitter old man?

You said, and I quote, "everything". Now you can't handle what that means, and that means somebody else is "full retard".

Yuh huh.
What I said is clear. Making comparisons between smoking and murder is retarded.

I smoked more when cigs were cheap. Bought them for $1.00 a carton when my ship was in international waters. This was mid 60's.

I smoked more when cigs were cheap. Bought them for $1.00 a carton when my ship was in international waters. This was mid 60's.

I can't believe the cost of a carton today, I'm glad I quit years ago. There's no good reason not to quit.

I can't believe the cost of a carton today, I'm glad I quit years ago. There's no good reason not to quit.

The good news is it's no longer fashionable to smoke, since today's kids probably wouldn't be able to afford smoking anyway.

Forum List

Back