Smoking rate for U.S. adults drops to record low...

I found the advice helpful because an "addiction" is something that controls you, whereas a "habit" is just a pattern you can continue or break. Or to look at it upside down, "addiction" offers an excuse, "habit" doesn't.

Any kind of pattern-break I find is easier when done in bulk -- change the furniture around, paint the room, get up at a different time of day, take a different route. The new patterns reinforce each other.

Former smoker. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances out there. More so than cocaine.
And unfortunately, some people have more addictive personalities than others.

I mean when you have lung disease and are still smoking, you are serving an addiction. Not a habit.

That all depends on how you choose to look at it, which is what my post is saying. You can define "addiction", "habit", "pattern" or anything else in whatever way suits you. I'm saying for the purpose of quitting that addiction/habit/pattern, it's more useful to term it in a way that offers a way out than to term it in a way that locks you in.

And you can bet these same people such as the OP is fine and dandy with legalizing pot

so as usual they are Hypocrites and can't stand not being in everyone's business. If people want to smoke cigarettes it's their business and it's a LEGAL product

Sure it is, and of course it's their own business.
But when that starts to pollute the air *I* breathe, then it becomes mine.

Paying $7.50 a pack vs 25 cents did affect the number of packs a day people smoked

:wtf:

Are you trying to say before taxes the price of cigarettes is 25c a pack? Come on, you're comparing hard prices across variant times. As always, prices come down to supply and demand. In the end, raising cigarette taxes by $1 a pack usually leads to roughly a 50c increase on the total price, which consumers may grumble and complain about, but it doesn't actually inhibit their spending behaviors. At most, taxation has simply changed how and where people buy their cigarettes, not their volume. Online discount bulk purchases are more popular than ever. The underground black market is stronger than ever. Corporate convenience stores like WaWa have become target purchasing locations for many people, while grocery stores and Walmarts have seen their cigarette sales take a nose dive, because they tend to sell at much higher prices.

Bam! Right over your head

Let's enter the Way back machine and look at smoking before the government got involved. Back when I was a young lad and my friends were starting to smoke. Me and my friends made minimum wage at $2.10 an hour. For $2.10 you could buy seven yes SEVEN packs of cigarettes. Today, at $7.25 an hour you can buy one

You think price didn't affect how much people smoke?

Let's enter the Way back machine and look at smoking before the government got involved. Back when I was a young lad and my friends were starting to smoke. Me and my friends made minimum wage at $2.10 an hour. For $2.10 you could buy seven yes SEVEN packs of cigarettes. Today, at $7.25 an hour you can buy one

Do you really think that you're making an intelligent argument here? All you're actually doing is pointing out that things are different now than they used to be, and from there making an illogical and unjustified assumption that the difference is caused by government intervention.

1 - Minimum wage is far less purchasing power now than it did back then. Isn't that one of your primary points for almost every other argument, ever?

2 - Lower prices are BECAUSE people don't want to smoke. As cocaine and heroine have shown us, expense of a product does not cure addiction.

Cigarette smoking among U.S. adults last year touched its lowest on record, a drop spurred by higher prices, smoke-free policies and anti-smoking campaigns, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

About 17.8 percent of American adults smoked cigarettes in 2013, down from 20.9 percent in 2005 and 42.4 percent in 1965, when the U.S. government began keeping records on smoking, the federal health agency said.

<snip>

The U.S. Midwest has the highest adult cigarette smoking rate, and the West has the lowest, according to the study.

Lesbians, gays and bisexual adults smoke about 50 percent more cigarettes than heterosexual people, the CDC said.

<snip>

States With Smoking Bans Tend to Have Lower Smoking Rates

ydf26khdtea6storxpslaq.png

xi3tqz0theklqpedsb-97g.png

The life expectancy for a smoker in the United States is about 64, which is 14 years shorter than the national average (which includes smokers), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Going by these numbers it becomes clear that few pastimes, habits or addictions are deadlier than smoking. Only Russian roulette and scorpion juggling come to mind.

Much more than cancer

Part of the problem of the misconception of real risks is the emphasis on smoking and lung cancer. The greater danger is from vascular diseases leading to heart attacks and stroke, which kill more smokers than all cancers combined. Toxins in the tobacco smoke cause inflammation and hardening in the arteries.
Nearly as common as lung cancer among smokers is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which entails the narrowing of airways in the lung, largely in the form of chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Bronchitis is a result of smoking-induced inflammation; emphysema stems from cigarette smoking hardening the alveoli, the little sacks in the lungs where oxygen meets blood.

If painful death as a middle-age adult doesn't move you, consider life-quality issues. Smokers get sick more often because smoke paralyzes tiny hair-like structures in the lungs called cilia, which otherwise sweep dirt and bacteria out of your lungs. Smokers have less endurance, particularly sexual endurance, because carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the blood.

Yet the core argument of ardent smokers remains firm: Smoking doesn't kill everyone. About 50 percent of smokers do reach old age, albeit with diminished taste buds, diminished endurance, diminished eyesight, yellow teeth and bad breath.

As with Obamacare, rightwing/Republicans will say passing regulations/laws that "force" people to live longer, healthier, more productive lives is... is a bad thing? And-----and they'll say they should have the right to become a burden on society, their families, loved oines and-----and to commit suicide by cigarette.

I don't smoke, but it is legal to commit suicide in Oregon, so what is the problem? Do people still smoke Marijuana? If so, are they counted in this poll as smokers?

Is asking about marijuana your way of admitting you are reading impaired?

Do you really think that you're making an intelligent argument here? All you're actually doing is pointing out that things are different now than they used to be, and from there making an illogical and unjustified assumption that the difference is caused by government intervention.

1 - Minimum wage is far less purchasing power now than it did back then. Isn't that one of your primary points for almost every other argument, ever?

2 - Lower prices are BECAUSE people don't want to smoke. As cocaine and heroine have shown us, expense of a product does not cure addiction.
You don't think that people will buy more cigarettes when they are ridiculously cheap is an intelligent argument?
Damn boy...where did you go to school?

Cigarette smoking among U.S. adults last year touched its lowest on record, a drop spurred by higher prices, smoke-free policies and anti-smoking campaigns, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

About 17.8 percent of American adults smoked cigarettes in 2013, down from 20.9 percent in 2005 and 42.4 percent in 1965, when the U.S. government began keeping records on smoking, the federal health agency said.

<snip>

The U.S. Midwest has the highest adult cigarette smoking rate, and the West has the lowest, according to the study.

Lesbians, gays and bisexual adults smoke about 50 percent more cigarettes than heterosexual people, the CDC said.

<snip>

States With Smoking Bans Tend to Have Lower Smoking Rates

ydf26khdtea6storxpslaq.png

xi3tqz0theklqpedsb-97g.png

The life expectancy for a smoker in the United States is about 64, which is 14 years shorter than the national average (which includes smokers), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Going by these numbers it becomes clear that few pastimes, habits or addictions are deadlier than smoking. Only Russian roulette and scorpion juggling come to mind.

Much more than cancer

Part of the problem of the misconception of real risks is the emphasis on smoking and lung cancer. The greater danger is from vascular diseases leading to heart attacks and stroke, which kill more smokers than all cancers combined. Toxins in the tobacco smoke cause inflammation and hardening in the arteries.
Nearly as common as lung cancer among smokers is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which entails the narrowing of airways in the lung, largely in the form of chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Bronchitis is a result of smoking-induced inflammation; emphysema stems from cigarette smoking hardening the alveoli, the little sacks in the lungs where oxygen meets blood.

If painful death as a middle-age adult doesn't move you, consider life-quality issues. Smokers get sick more often because smoke paralyzes tiny hair-like structures in the lungs called cilia, which otherwise sweep dirt and bacteria out of your lungs. Smokers have less endurance, particularly sexual endurance, because carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the blood.

Yet the core argument of ardent smokers remains firm: Smoking doesn't kill everyone. About 50 percent of smokers do reach old age, albeit with diminished taste buds, diminished endurance, diminished eyesight, yellow teeth and bad breath.

As with Obamacare, rightwing/Republicans will say passing regulations/laws that "force" people to live longer, healthier, more productive lives is... is a bad thing? And-----and they'll say they should have the right to become a burden on society, their families, loved oines and-----and to commit suicide by cigarette.

I don't smoke, but it is legal to commit suicide in Oregon, so what is the problem? Do people still smoke Marijuana? If so, are they counted in this poll as smokers?

Is asking about marijuana your way of admitting you are reading impaired?

I read quite well and saw nothing in the article about smoking MJ. I do not smoke cigarettes or MJ and I have read about MJ brownies. I just wondered if people now eat it rather than smoke it.

I almost forgot. Fuck you shithead!

You don't think that people will buy more cigarettes when they are ridiculously cheap is an intelligent argument?

The fact that something is cheap does not automatically mean that people will buy more of it. Are you going to start buying twice the food if all the prices went down by half? Of course not.

What am I thinking? Trying to explain fundamental business concepts to a liberal is a losing proposition.

Pretty ironic. You people only want the government and 'control freaks' to stay out of your lives regarding certain behavior and choices you are in favor of. When it comes to something you don't approve of, it is a completely different story.
No I want them out of everything.

So there should be no laws against, say, murder? Assault? Robbery?

How after all is inflicting tobacco smoke on someone who doesn't choose to ingest it --- not assault?
Why is it you always have to go full retard.

The fact that something is cheap does not automatically mean that people will buy more of it. Are you going to start buying twice the food if all the prices went down by half? Of course not.

What am I thinking? Trying to explain fundamental business concepts to a liberal is a losing proposition.
As you discuss economics of the absurd, are you going to smoke as many cigarettes at 35 cents a cig as a penny a cig?
Are you going to smoke as much if you have to go outside each time as you would if you could sit at your desk and smoke?
Fact is, even people who smoke, smoke fewer cigarettes than they did thirty years ago. Government and social pressures have contributed to that

As you discuss economics of the absurd, are you going to smoke as many cigarettes at 35 cents a cig as a penny a cig?
Are you going to smoke as much if you have to go outside each time as you would if you could sit at your desk and smoke?
Fact is, even people who smoke, smoke fewer cigarettes than they did thirty years ago. Government and social pressures have contributed to that

Under priced goods do not necessitate increased consumption. If you can't understand this, then you need to go back to school.

Pretty ironic. You people only want the government and 'control freaks' to stay out of your lives regarding certain behavior and choices you are in favor of. When it comes to something you don't approve of, it is a completely different story.
No I want them out of everything.

So there should be no laws against, say, murder? Assault? Robbery?

How after all is inflicting tobacco smoke on someone who doesn't choose to ingest it --- not assault?
Why is it you always have to go full retard.

Why is it you have nothing but ad hom when you've lost the argument or can't think of a contrarian quip, bitter old man?

You said, and I quote, "everything". Now you can't handle what that means, and that means somebody else is "full retard".

Yuh huh.

Under priced goods do not necessitate increased consumption. If you can't understand this, then you need to go back to school.
Over priced goods reduce consumption

Bam! Right over your head.....keep beating that dead horse boy!

And who says anything is over priced? See, that's your problem. You are assuming that taxation has led to over priced cigarettes. I've already explained to you that that's not true.

And who says anything is over priced? See, that's your problem. You are assuming that taxation has led to over priced cigarettes. I've already explained to you that that's not true.
Actually, you failed miserably

Cigarettes over $7.50 a pack have impacted smoking, just ask any smoker. Cigarettes used to be given away........keep the pack

A three pack a day smoker used to spend a buck, now it costs $25

Cigarettes over $7.50 a pack have impacted smoking, just ask any smoker. Cigarettes used to be given away........keep the pack

*facepalm*

Listen closely - Just. Because. Something. Is. More. Expensive. Does. Not. Mean. It. Is. Over-priced.

Also - Stop. Comparing. 1975. Prices. To. 2014. Prices.

*facepalm*

Listen closely - Just. Because. Something. Is. More. Expensive. Does. Not. Mean. It. Is. Over-priced.

Even when adjusted for inflation he will still be right. We raised the taxes and consumption went down. Logic again.

$1.00 in 1975 had the same buying power as $4.49 in 2014.
Annual inflation over this period was 3.93%.
http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

*facepalm*

I will excuse you for your youth. You missed out on the glory days of smoking when cigs were cheap and you could smoke anytime anyplace you wanted. It was a different world where the smoker was king
Your limited knowledge based on you and your bar buddies is understandable

*facepalm*

I will excuse you for your youth. You missed out on the glory days of smoking when cigs were cheap and you could smoke anytime anyplace you wanted. It was a different world where the smoker was king
Your limited knowledge based on you and your bar buddies is understandable

So to recap, you've got nothing. All you can do is hurl ad hominems because you lack the ability to support your position logically. Whereas I won't simply take your word that your position is correct or that your long list of assumptions hold any validity, nor am I willing to dive into the pool of your circular logic, you resort to another form or "take my word for it reasoning" based on yet another assumption based on age and anecdote.

Your failure is noted.

Forum List

Back