Smoking rate for U.S. adults drops to record low...

I'm throwing this out there because I have no answer, just going by what I have learned.

You cannot fail a drug test breathing in second hand marijuana smoke.

Knowing this, I question second hand cigarette smoke.

I have never smoked either and have stayed away from those that do either, so I am not real sure what the difference would be.

You can fail a drug test by inhaling 2nd hand marijuana smoke. That's the most common defense.

For me, the argument about 2nd hand smoke comes down to this question; Would I rather live in an authoritarian utopia with pure air, or would I rather live in a free world where I might have to tolerate a little smoke? I prefer the latter.

My main source of heating is wood. I've always had a wood stove. Not only that, but I run a dirty 2-stroke chainsaw to cut the wood. It's dirty. I get that. But that's outweighed by the positive ideal of being able to produce my own heat source.

I was told by a DOT physician that 2nd hand smoke would not create a positive test for marijuana, unless you are directly in front of the person exhaling and they were exhaling in to your mouth and even that is questionable.

I think consciousness has been raised to the point where people are no longer smoking in the car with children, with the windows up. In California, you can't smoke in a restaurant or public building. Some bars still get away with it. A month ago I was watching the World Series at a bar with ashtrays and cigs for sale by the register. People came in and exclaimed, "Wow, I can actually smoke in here". Totally illegal, of course, and I'm sure many of you progressives would have gone to the city council to whine about it.

A progressive is a Prohibitionist. A liberal, in the classical sense, lives and lets live.

Agree with Paint my House; if you die young at 64, you never even collect SS and Medicare. Much cheaper for the rest of us.

Now, if we could get people to responsibly dispose of the butts, that would be ideal.

At a party or a bar, I'll offer a dollar for a cig. I don't buy whole packs, unless I'm camping or hiking for multiple days. I buy a couple cans of Copenhagen per year for specific events or gatherings of friends, like our annual fantasy football draft.

Some people enjoy tobacco. Longevity is not the highest ideal for some people. Enjoying life while it lasts is more important to some.

It sounds like you are in agreement with Alan Grayson, are you?
the GOP approach to health care is:
Don't get sick.
"If you get sick, America, the Republican health care plan is this: Die quickly," ~ Alan Grayson

And I would add ...
From the article quoted in the OP:

Nearly as common as lung cancer among smokers is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which entails the narrowing of airways in the lung, largely in the form of chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Bronchitis is a result of smoking-induced inflammation; emphysema stems from cigarette smoking hardening the alveoli, the little sacks in the lungs where oxygen meets blood.

If painful death as a middle-age adult doesn't move you, consider life-quality issues. Smokers get sick more often because smoke paralyzes tiny hair-like structures in the lungs called cilia, which otherwise sweep dirt and bacteria out of your lungs. Smokers have less endurance, particularly sexual endurance, because carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the blood.

Yet the core argument of ardent smokers remains firm: Smoking doesn't kill everyone. About 50 percent of smokers do reach old age, albeit with diminished taste buds, diminished endurance, diminished eyesight, yellow teeth and bad breath. And-----and at some point, if you are a smoker and you are "lucky" enough to outlive your quality of life - no more walks on the beach, no more carrying your own clubs on the golf course, no more skiing, no more bike rides, no more racquetball/tennis, no more cheap seats in a stadium's nosebleed section, no more hikes in the mountains, no more window shopping, no more sex, no more walking the mall, no more...

The huge drop in smoking rates is the most significant health improvements in my lifetime

The society as a whole has benefitted

I'm just pointing out how those red welfare states are bleeding us dry. They're fat smokers who drive up the healthcare costs.
Lots of libs are fat and lots smoke, lots eat crap food and a higher percent do drugs. So your reasoning is quite selective.
Well, no, I showed you where it was mostly red states.
Red states are typically less populated so many more libs can be causing problems and they do more drugs. But you don't care, we get it.

I think consciousness has been raised to the point where people are no longer smoking in the car with children, with the windows up. In California, you can't smoke in a restaurant or public building. Some bars still get away with it. A month ago I was watching the World Series at a bar with ashtrays and cigs for sale by the register. People came in and exclaimed, "Wow, I can actually smoke in here". Totally illegal, of course, and I'm sure many of you progressives would have gone to the city council to whine about it.

A progressive is a Prohibitionist. A liberal, in the classical sense, lives and lets live.

Agree with Paint my House; if you die young at 64, you never even collect SS and Medicare. Much cheaper for the rest of us.

Now, if we could get people to responsibly dispose of the butts, that would be ideal.

At a party or a bar, I'll offer a dollar for a cig. I don't buy whole packs, unless I'm camping or hiking for multiple days. I buy a couple cans of Copenhagen per year for specific events or gatherings of friends, like our annual fantasy football draft.

Some people enjoy tobacco. Longevity is not the highest ideal for some people. Enjoying life while it lasts is more important to some.

It sounds like you are in agreement with Alan Grayson, are you?
the GOP approach to health care is:
Don't get sick.
"If you get sick, America, the Republican health care plan is this: Die quickly," ~ Alan Grayson

And I would add ...
From the article quoted in the OP:

Nearly as common as lung cancer among smokers is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which entails the narrowing of airways in the lung, largely in the form of chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Bronchitis is a result of smoking-induced inflammation; emphysema stems from cigarette smoking hardening the alveoli, the little sacks in the lungs where oxygen meets blood.

If painful death as a middle-age adult doesn't move you, consider life-quality issues. Smokers get sick more often because smoke paralyzes tiny hair-like structures in the lungs called cilia, which otherwise sweep dirt and bacteria out of your lungs. Smokers have less endurance, particularly sexual endurance, because carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the blood.

Yet the core argument of ardent smokers remains firm: Smoking doesn't kill everyone. About 50 percent of smokers do reach old age, albeit with diminished taste buds, diminished endurance, diminished eyesight, yellow teeth and bad breath. And-----and at some point, if you are a smoker and you are "lucky" enough to outlive your quality of life - no more walks on the beach, no more carrying your own clubs on the golf course, no more skiing, no more bike rides, no more racquetball/tennis, no more cheap seats in a stadium's nosebleed section, no more hikes in the mountains, no more window shopping, no more sex, no more walking the mall, no more...

You're such a tool for everything Democrat, Alan Grayson, you people care don't how insane or how much people see them as a loser a person is. you worship them anyway. MYOB on people smoking or we'll take up having ABORTION BANNED on you

I'm just pointing out how those red welfare states are bleeding us dry. They're fat smokers who drive up the healthcare costs.
Lots of libs are fat and lots smoke, lots eat crap food and a higher percent do drugs. So your reasoning is quite selective.
Well, no, I showed you where it was mostly red states.
Red states are typically less populated so many more libs can be causing problems and they do more drugs. But you don't care, we get it.

:link: please...

There is no reason to play politics with this. Less people smoking is good. That doesn't mean we need to ban anything. Nor does it mean we can't encourage people to stop.

we need to stand for freedom as a people. So lets help people become free from tobacco products. Why we need the government to help people when we can do it ourselves is something I will never understand

The biggest change in smoking has been its social acceptance. Smoking used to be cool. All the movie stars did it. Smokers were free to smoke anywhere and any time they wanted to
In 1980, the government banned smoking in government buildings and airlines. It became banned in the workplace and in restaurants and bars. Suddenly, smoking was no longer cool and smokers weren't even allowed to smoke in their own homes

Show us all contradictory studies since then. Cherry picking lacks academic integrity.

Fuck you fakey how about you provide a study done with the same scientific integrity that refutes it. No hurry I'll wait.

Typical far right boob remark by you. One, your long outdated report is of no worth. Two, we know the recent studies contract your silly point. Third, no one cares about silly libertarian principles. Health of all outweigh property rights of those who live in communal property.

Try reading this one fakey, I'm sure it won't change a damned thing, but it will prove that you prefer to ignore the facts and hold to your propagandist views.

The Second-Hand Smoke Charade Cato Institute

LOL...the Cato Institute.

So what you're saying is you got nothing to say about the information provided so you attack the source. Unlike you they didn't pull their facts out of thin air, you're as bad a fakey in denying reality.

Show us all contradictory studies since then. Cherry picking lacks academic integrity.

Fuck you fakey how about you provide a study done with the same scientific integrity that refutes it. No hurry I'll wait.

Typical far right boob remark by you. One, your long outdated report is of no worth. Two, we know the recent studies contract your silly point. Third, no one cares about silly libertarian principles. Health of all outweigh property rights of those who live in communal property.

Try reading this one fakey, I'm sure it won't change a damned thing, but it will prove that you prefer to ignore the facts and hold to your propagandist views.

So what you're saying is you got nothing to say about the information provided so you attack the source. Unlike you they didn't pull their facts out of thin air, you're as bad a fakey in denying reality.

I'm saying that I don't give two shits about any report that says second hand smoke is not harmful. I'm going to print that report and use it to line my birdcage...that's what I'm saying.

And if any other smokers are reading this, hoping for a justification to blow smoke at the family, please speak to your doctor first.

Thanka, thanka very much!

Why should those of us who love freedom encourage others to be a slave to a cigarette?

Smoking rate for U.S. adults drops to record low...

Cigarette smoking among U.S. adults last year touched its lowest on record, a drop spurred by higher prices, smoke-free policies and anti-smoking campaigns, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

About 17.8 percent of American adults smoked cigarettes in 2013, down from 20.9 percent in 2005 and 42.4 percent in 1965, when the U.S. government began keeping records on smoking, the federal health agency said.

<snip>

The U.S. Midwest has the highest adult cigarette smoking rate, and the West has the lowest, according to the study.

Lesbians, gays and bisexual adults smoke about 50 percent more cigarettes than heterosexual people, the CDC said.

<snip>

States With Smoking Bans Tend to Have Lower Smoking Rates

ydf26khdtea6storxpslaq.png

xi3tqz0theklqpedsb-97g.png

The life expectancy for a smoker in the United States is about 64, which is 14 years shorter than the national average (which includes smokers), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Going by these numbers it becomes clear that few pastimes, habits or addictions are deadlier than smoking. Only Russian roulette and scorpion juggling come to mind.

Much more than cancer

Part of the problem of the misconception of real risks is the emphasis on smoking and lung cancer. The greater danger is from vascular diseases leading to heart attacks and stroke, which kill more smokers than all cancers combined. Toxins in the tobacco smoke cause inflammation and hardening in the arteries.

Yet the core argument of ardent smokers remains firm: Smoking doesn't kill everyone. About 50 percent of smokers do reach old age, albeit with diminished taste buds, diminished endurance, diminished eyesight, yellow teeth and bad breath.

As with Obamacare, rightwing/Republicans will say passing regulations/laws that "force" people to live longer, healthier, more productive lives is... is a bad thing? And-----and they'll say they should have the right to become a burden on society, their families, loved oines and-----and to commit suicide by cigarette.
Wow, those Red States are going to die off faster.

Why should those of us who love freedom encourage others to be a slave to a cigarette?

Well as I said before.....I don't smoke real cigarettes anymore, I only vap :biggrin:

but the thing is.....Big Brother has all these insidious ways of restraining your personal liberties....it's not funny!

no sugar no coffee no this no that ...

it gets boring at the end.:hmpf:

It won't take much longer before cigarettes become a historical footnote. Vaping is cheaper and cleaner. I can't imagine having a cigarette any more. I do not know a single person that smokes cigarettes.

It's all about the VAPIN' today.

A vastly superior Nicotine delivery system.

Yep - keepin' 'em hooked on a legal drug.

Nothing dumber than an addict.
I remember all the Republicans screaming about their rights being taken away if they aren't allowed to smoke where ever they want. Now, I swear, it seems like they are trying to take credit for it. Shades of who took down Bin Laden and saved the auto industry.

Well as I said before.....I don't smoke real cigarettes anymore, I only vap :biggrin:

but the thing is.....Big Brother has all these insidious ways of restraining your personal liberties....it's not funny!

no sugar no coffee no this no that ...

it gets boring at the end.:hmpf:

When did they stop selling sugar and coffee?

I for one am not inclined to attack the messenger but the Cato Institute, really, information from the Cato Institute about tobacco - really?

Are you aware that the Cato Institute is not a science institute but-----but receives a large part of their funding from the Tobacco Industry to write political papers/articles about secondhand smoke.
Do you think their junk science might be skewed in favor of their patrons?

Coordinating with some of the most lucrative tobacco companies to limit government regulation of tobacco products and advertising in the United States since the early 1990s, the Cato Institute continues to work directly and indirectly2,3 with the tobacco industry to prevent smokefree policies that protect public health.

Big Tobacco has a vested interest in the Cato Institute. The money trails say it all.
● The Cato Institute received a $10,000 “philanthropic contribution” from Philip Morris in 1991.
...the Cato Institute received funding from both R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and Altria, the parent company of Philip Morris. . . .

Corporate sponsors
In 2006 Cato raised approximately $612,000 from the following 26 corporate supporters:
* Altria (the report identifies Altria Corporate Services as the contributor)
* American Petroleum Institute . . .
* Ebay Inc
* ExxonMobil . . .
* R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
* TimeWarner
* Toyota Motor Corporation
* UST Inc
* Verizon Communications
* Visa USA Inc
* Volkswagen of America
* Wal-Mart Stores

Coordinating with some of the most lucrative tobacco companies to limit government regulation of tobacco products and advertising in the United States since the early 1990s, the Cato Institute continues to work directly and indirectly2,3 with the tobacco industry to prevent smokefree policies that protect public health.

http://archive.tobacco.org/articles/category/lobbying/?starting_at=525

Forum List

Back