🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Snobbish Dog Breeders

ScorpioRising007

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2015
It seems dog breeders are snobbish and cater to the upper classes.

Anyone else just have bad experiences with dog breeders and just decide to adopt from the humane society instead?

Growing up I had dogs from the humane society and another from a breeder. I had a collie from the humane society. Years later we got a grown up 1 year old AKC Collie with papers from a breeder that was pet quality for like $300, that was like 30 years ago when I was a kid. That dog grew up a very healthy dog that eventually passed away. In my 20's I had a black Labrador/ Mastiff mix I got from the humane society. The dogs I got from the humane society were just as healthy though as the purebred Collie I would say. My pitbull mix I now own I got from the humane society for only $50 over 2 years ago.

Over 2 years ago when I was looking for a new dog I got frustrated how much dog breeders were charging for a dog, some breeders like $3,000 for a puppy. A lot more money dog breeders wanted for a puppy it seemed like then when I was a kid, it seemed dog breeding had turned into a very lucrative business. I saw it honestly as a rip off and profit scheme. Online I complained to breeders how ridiculously expensive that was just for a dog and I got snobbish responses from dog breeders that if you can't afford to pay $3,000+ for a puppy then you can't afford to have a dog. They said this to me after I told this would be like my 4th dog I have owned in my life, like I had no idea about dogs or how to raise them. Just real snobbish. I asked the breeders why so much money for a puppy when I can get an adult dog at a humane society or a rescue dog for as little as $50, they totally mocked humane society's and just called the dogs there worthless mutts and went on to say that I could never afford to own a dog. They went on and ridiculed me told me not to adopt I could never afford a dog. I told them where they could go stick it and that I had 3 dogs growing up.

Having adopted dogs as a kid from the humane society before and having friends and co-workers who have as well I got fed up with the whole idea of getting a dog from a breeder and decided to adopt a pitbull mix from a local humane sociey. The dog breeders seemed so for profit and money hungry just catering to the very wealthy. That was over 2 years ago and it was the best decision I made. My pitbull mix has just been the best dog and healthy too.

Last edited:
I usually buy my dog from a breeder.
I like Australian Shepherds and want to talk to the breeder about what qualities they are breeding for. More than just looks but temperament , social interaction and health factors. I like to meet the pups parents and see how they are with people.
You can still get a good pet at the animal shelter but you don’t know what breed or breeds you are getting. Many dogs at the pound have issues and have been rejected by their original owner.
You are correct that the prices are getting out of hand.
I bought a purebred Austrailian Shepherd in 1994 for $400.
In 2009 I paid $1200 and in 2020 I paid $1800

1719228621773.jpeg

Last edited:
Everything is more expensive. Fact of life.

Buying from a good breeder- that is, one who is careful about not overbreeding, attention to health issues common to the breed, etc. Many breeders allow buyers to actually meet the mother and sometimes father of the puppies. You have a better idea of what you are buying.

Frankly, I've encountered more snobbiness from rescue groups, than breeders. For example, I've been turned down because I don't revaccinate my dogs every year. Twenty years ago, I lost a five-year-old dog to immune mediated anemia which I believe was caused by overvaccination. Therefore, I have titers done. That's unacceptable to many adoption volunteers in charge of deciding who may take a dog home and who may not.

In my experience, it is the owners of Rescue Dogs that are the snobs.

While walking my dog, I once met a guy that was walking a three legged dog that was blind in one eye. He explained how the dog came off the streets in the philippines.
I could honestly say…..You are a good person.

But I usually meet people who declare…..I have a Rescue Dog!
When you ask, they tell how they went to the Animal Shelter and picked out a puppy.
You didn’t rescue that dog, someone else would have taken the puppy. You have a mutt that you got because it was cheaper than a purebred

In my experience, it is the owners of Rescue Dogs that are the snobs.

While walking my dog, I once met a guy that was walking a three legged dog that was blind in one eye. He explained how the dog came off the streets in the philippines.
I could honestly say…..You are a good person.

But I usually meet people who declare…..I have a Rescue Dog!
When you ask, they tell how they went to the Animal Shelter and picked out a puppy.
You didn’t rescue that dog, someone else would have taken the puppy. You have a mutt that you got because it was cheaper than a purebred
I've met people like that. They declare THIS IS MY RESCUE. While, I'm just, this is Henry. He's a six-year-old lab mix. Feel free to pet him.
They go on and on, my rescue, he's a rescue, you know how it is with a rescue. Eventually, I ask if they named the dog Rescue.

I feel sorry for the dog. They aren't a dog who's a friend, companion, protector.... They are a badge of honor whose purpose is to draw attention and invite homage to a RESCUER.

I usually buy my dog from a breeder.
I like Australian Shepherds and want to talk to the breeder about what qualities they are breeding for. More than just looks but temperament , social interaction and health factors. I like to meet the pups parents and see how they are with people.
You can still get a good pet at the animal shelter but you don’t know what breed or breeds you are getting. Many dogs at the pound have issues and have been rejected by their original owner.
You are correct that the prices are getting out of hand.
I bought a purebred Austrailian Shepherd in 1994 for $400.
In 2009 I paid $1200 and in 2020 I paid $1800

View attachment 966721
Yeah I have had shelter dogs and a purebred Collie. If the breeders weren't asking so much money for a purebred dog I might of got another purebred. I just felt like I was being ripped off 2 years ago when the breeders I talked to wanted 3k+ for a purebred dog. 30 years ago our family growing up paid $300 for a purebred AKC pet quality 1 year old dog and I was discouraged how much more expensive dogs got, so I got a pitbull mix from the humane society anyway. I wanted to try out a pitbull mix anyway 2 years ago since I knew so many people who adopted them and loved them and they are easy to find at shelters if that is the breed mix your looking for. So far the pitbull mix my wife and I adopted from the Humane Society 2 years ago has been a great dog. When I was with an ex-wife of mine 20 years we adopted a purebred Ragdoll Cat from a breeder for a few hundred dollars. Breeders just are charging a lot more these days it seems like.

I might of just talked to the wrong snobbish breeders back then who made me feel like I was too lower class to associate with. I just was given the impression by the breeders that I was inferior to them because I didn't have the income level most of their clientele had. I am sure there are other breeders who don't act that way.

Forum List

Back