Snowpocalypse cooking.

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
So, they are projecting 7-15 inches of snow for our area over the next day and a half.

The plan...bought two whole chickens from Aldi's. Brined them from Saturday to Monday. Slow cooked the chickens Monday afternoon/evening. Use the parts after the meat taken off to make stock, cooking in the slow cookers since last night.

If we do not lose power it will become Chicken and dumplings, if we do it will be come just chicken soup cooked over the fire in the fireplace!

Win/win!

I vote chicken & dumplings for you GG

1643751228505.png

~S~

IDC for dumplings but i always appreciate someone making their own stock!

Wife asked for Chicken and Dumplings and see as when she gets home tonight she will have worked 50 (or more depending won when she leaves tonight) hours in the last 4 days she gets what she wants!

I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup this morning......Been simmering all day, I will enjoy it shortly.

Tater the Putz's inflation drove up the cost though. I usually cube-up a small roast for the meat and it was twice as much as the last one I used.

I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup this morning......Been simmering all day, I will enjoy it shortly.

Tater the Putz's inflation drove up the cost though. I usually cube-up a small roast for the meat and it was twice as much as the last one I used.
Meat is bad here. And things are getting harder to find.
I couldnt even find stewed whole or crushed tomatoes for my spaghetti sauce the other day. I made it work but it wasnt the same.

I got two whole chickens I used for this from Alid's for less than 10 bucks.

But thanks for making even a cooking thread political, I guess it is all you have in your life

I got two whole chickens I used for this from Alid's for less than 10 bucks.

But thanks for making even a cooking thread political, I guess it is all you have in your life
LOL....The wife got the roast at Aldi the other day and I went WTF when I saw the price.

Inflation is what it is, just something I noticed. I bet those two stew chickens were near half that last year.

But hey it hurts less when you have the skills to make a few good tasting meals off of them. :)

I can take a Costco rotisserie chicken and get at least three meals off if it and something left over for the possum out back. ;)

So, they are projecting 7-15 inches of snow for our area over the next day and a half.

The plan...bought two whole chickens from Aldi's. Brined them from Saturday to Monday. Slow cooked the chickens Monday afternoon/evening. Use the parts after the meat taken off to make stock, cooking in the slow cookers since last night.

If we do not lose power it will become Chicken and dumplings, if we do it will be come just chicken soup cooked over the fire in the fireplace!

Win/win!

Oh no! Winter weather in early February!

I should start threads in summer when if gets to 117 degrees here.

Oh no! Winter weather in early February!

I should start threads in summer when if gets to 117 degrees here.

You should. What kind of foods do you cook when it is that hot? I tend to avoid using the stove/oven and mostly use the grill.

Each season has it own special foods. They are all great in their own way.

I look forward to your cooking report this summer!

Thanks for adding to my thread.

You brined chickens for three fucken days?!!?!
I hope to God that brine was weak as hell. 24 hrs is more than enough.

You brined chickens for three fucken days?!!?!
I hope to God that brine was weak as hell. 24 hrs is more than enough.

2 days, Saturday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Not sure what you mean by "weak" but I do not put a lot of salt in my brine. Fresh rosemary, fresh sage, fresh oregano, whole garlic cloves, some dried thyme and a couple bay leaves, along with an orange sliced into quarters with 2 quarters each inside the chicken.

Brine two days, take out and put in the slow cooker.

2 days, Saturday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Not sure what you mean by "weak" but I do not put a lot of salt in my brine. Fresh rosemary, fresh sage, fresh oregano, whole garlic cloves, some dried thyme and a couple bay leaves, along with an orange sliced into quarters with 2 quarters each inside the chicken.

Brine two days, take out and put in the slow cooker.

Weak,as in not heavily salted.
But even then 24 hours is sufficient.

Weak,as in not heavily salted.
But even then 24 hours is sufficient.

Not much salt, do it more for the other herbs. The second day seems to make the stock more flavorful when I use the carcass and skin for making the stock.

Plus I was in no rush to get them cooked so the extra day was as much convenience as anything else.

But I can assure you the chicken amazing!

We are working on 8 inches with a couple hours of snowing left.

The chicken and dumplings was simply amazing, my best one yet. I make the big biscuit like dumplings, not the wimpy noodle like ones. When I take the lid off the pot the top is totally covered in dumplings!

Forum List

Back