So how did the Russian Flagship explode?

It's pretty much impossible to put so much water onto a shipboard fire that sinking becomes a concern...
You can put enough water in fighting a fire that a ship becomes top heavy and unstable, especially in heavy seas.

You can put enough water in fighting a fire that a ship becomes top heavy and unstable, especially in heavy seas.

No, you're not going to make the ship top heavy.

See, there's this thing called "gravity", and it works on water...

Excellent. So how did the Golden Ray capsize?

It wasn't because they flooded the ship with firefighting water.

There were incorrect calculations regarding Golden Ray's stability, which seawater is used to maintain. Golden Ray wasn't top heavy because of the ballast, but because of the cargo. It capsized due to human error...

Well, if it was a cruise missile, it would seem as though they would have fired it a few weeks ago... I'm not sure how long the ship has been on station or whatever but I don't think anyone is sending them cruise missiles. Maybe...but I doubt it. If so, its good to see a NATO supplied cruise missile can do such damage. However, I think some common sense would tell anyone that this isn't the case.

Likely it was either a malfunction by an old ship or human error. The original ship (Moskva) was launched before the first space shuttle launch I think. Its probably not exactly the pride of their fleet. I hope.
Moskva was commissioned in 1992. That’s not especially old for a warship.

I was reading the other day that one of the missiles hit the compartment where damage control and power distribution was managed for the whole ship. No power, no propulsion, no way to fight the fire.

excerpt, diagrams in the link:

1) Two missiles, possibly three, hit the cruiser dang near amidships.
2) The missile that struck near the waterline on the port side either exploded in the forward engine room that housed the cruising gas turbines and steam turbines (#47) or it detonated in a compartment that is their main damage control space (#45). This compartment also is a major node in the ship's electrical distribution system. The worst case would be if the missile exploded in #45 as this would have taken out both engine rooms and the central damage control with a single hit.
3) The second missile appears to have struck the ship a bit higher and could have detonated in the 30mm AK-630 magazines. If rounds started cooking off, they could have caused considerable secondary damage and casualties.
4) It's possible one of the three electrical generating compartments was also damaged (#48).
5) It is probable that the lower missile hit caused a complete loss of propulsion and electrical power and disabled their damage control capability. Basically, this ship suffered an immediate mission kill. With the loss of all electrical power and DC central in severe disarray the fire wasn't contained and it spread aft. Not sure how far back the fire boundary went, but smoke clearly propagated aft along what looks like passageways outboard of the S-300 [SA-N-6] magazine. Flooding also occurred in at least the forward engine room. With the damage control space severely damaged, the ≈15° list to port could not be easily corrected and this only allowed more water into the ship. Regardless of whether or not she sank, Moskva would need to be towed back to port.
6) I toured Moskva's sister ship, Marshal Ustinov, back in 1989 and I was amazed with the lack of damage control gear I saw on the main deck and immediately inside the ship's superstructure. I vividly recall seeing few fire fighting connections. I only found three double hose connections on each side and they were smaller than our standard 2.5-inch hose. There may have been another double connection further forward, I couldn't go very far past the 130mm gun mount. One double hose connection was under the second set of P-1000 [SS-N-12 Mod 1] launch tubes!

Also worth noting that the loss of the Moskva seriously degraded the air defenses in the area. That made it a lot easier for Ukraine to strike the air defenses on Snake Island. And that made it easier to take out the two Raptor Class Patrol boats. Russia put more ADA on Snake Island, and Ukraine knocked that out too.

Sevastopol is heavily defended, but I'd like to see Ukraine take a shot at one of those Kilos while they are loading cruise missiles. That would be a real statement if the Neptune could stay under the S-400's radar horizon until it was too late...

The naval battle in the Sea of Azov continues between the Russian navy and no one...

Reports coming in of a hit on one of the newest Russian Frigates by another Neptune missile...

Ukraine claims they blew it up with cruise missiles. Russia says it was a munitions malfunction. So who is telling the truth?

We know the ship exploded. We know the crew abandoned ship. The question is why.

So Russian Cheerleaders and trolls. Which is it? Was the Russian Navy grossly incompetent? Was Ukraine brilliant in being able to target a warship well out of sight?
1651866516938.png

Forum List

Back