So my cat is terrorizing my girlfriend...

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
I started dating a new girlfriend in the last year, and everything is going better than great. Except for my 13 year old cat.

Initially my cat (Named Isis, not for the terrorist group, but the Egyptian Goddess, but she didn't get the message) would hide when my lady friend would spend the weekend or an evening. But recently, she comes out and acts, well, for lack of a better term, jealous.

If my girlfriend gets up to get something from the kitchen, the cat will jump up on the couch in her spot insisting on getting petted. When my girlfriend tries to take her seat, she hisses. When she tries to pet her, the cat hisses.

The cat ONLY does this when I have a visitor. The rest of the time, it is indifferent to me.

My girlfriend has her own cat, but it's about as mellow as a Dog. She not used to a cat with an attitude. It didn't help that the cat took a chunk out of my arm this weekend.

My first solution is to try Pet Calming Treats, to see if that improves her disposition.

Named Isis

Saturday Morning perv or "Star Trek" TOS fan?

hqdefault.jpg

tos-assignmentearth-isis.jpg

I started dating a new girlfriend in the last year, and everything is going better than great. Except for my 13 year old cat.

Initially my cat (Named Isis, not for the terrorist group, but the Egyptian Goddess, but she didn't get the message) would hide when my lady friend would spend the weekend or an evening. But recently, she comes out and acts, well, for lack of a better term, jealous.

If my girlfriend gets up to get something from the kitchen, the cat will jump up on the couch in her spot insisting on getting petted. When my girlfriend tries to take her seat, she hisses. When she tries to pet her, the cat hisses.

The cat ONLY does this when I have a visitor. The rest of the time, it is indifferent to me.

My girlfriend has her own cat, but it's about as mellow as a Dog. She not used to a cat with an attitude. It didn't help that the cat took a chunk out of my arm this weekend.

My first solution is to try Pet Calming Treats, to see if that improves her disposition.
Wife tried whole bunch of calming treats sprays and something She attached to the wall they could rub on. Zero results. Get another cat.

get another pet cat to change the dynamics. The old cat will then become jealous of the new cat an dthen pay less attention to your girlfriend. Shower the new cat with attention.. and affection to ensure this.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
OR....the cat just might tear up both...the new cat and the girlfriend.

Still...i have to wonder if the cat isn't picking up on something you aren't. After all, you've known the cat for 13 years...and how long have you known the new girl friend? just sayin'

Try Fentanyl. If it doesn’t die, it won’t be such a pain in the ass, anyway.

“Fentanyl : cats ask for it by name.”

Or maybe that was Meow Mix. 🤔

Still...i have to wonder if the cat isn't picking up on something you aren't. After all, you've known the cat for 13 years...and how long have you known the new girl friend? just sayin'

Maybe he can insist that for now on his new girlfriend comes over wearing a cat girl outfit! it might work out all the way around !

Or maybe tie a bell to its tail , just when she comes over. that will be sure to keep it occupied! We need an intervention here !

Could your cat be reacting to the cat smells your girlfriend has?

get another pet cat to change the dynamics. The old cat will then become jealous of the new cat an dthen pay less attention to your girlfriend. Shower the new cat with attention.. and affection to ensure this.

I suppose that could be a roll of the dice, with roughly equal chances of making things better, or making things worse. A 13-year-old cat is old enough to be pretty set in its ways.

My wife and I have a 12½-year-old Siamese, named Allie, who has been with us since she was about a year old.

10851019535_76070439ba_o_1618x1000.jpg

Allie has been an only-cat for a nearly all of her life, and she very much prefers it that we. She loves me, she loves my wife, but is mostly afraid of anyone else, and runs and hides when we have visitors. She reacts with considerable hostility to any other cat or dog.

About a year ago, a cat that had been a stray around my apartment complex for several years, suddenly decided that he's our cat. A few months ago, we made it official, getting him chipped and registered to us. We've named him Buddy. His age has been estimated by at least two different vets, as being around six or seven years old. However, I also have some accounts that have Buddy having been kicked out of his previous home, as far back as possibly 2015, which would be eight years ago, so he might be a bit older than the vets thought he was.

ZSC_4672-DeNoiseAI-raw_1600x1280.jpg

Buddy wants to be friends with Allie. He tries to play with her, to interact with her, in the manner that you usually see of younger cats playing with one another. Allie wants none of it. She reacts with great hostility, hissing, growling, sometimes even screaming as if she's being tortured. This has been going on for a year, now. I'd have hoped that by this time, Allie would have become more accustomed to Buddy, and/or that Buddy might have learned to not be quite so insistent on interacting with Allie. So far, it hasn't happened yet.

Allie very much like sher personal space. The problem is that Buddy also very much likes Allie's personal space.

Last edited:

Here's an idea. Does your cat like catnip? Do you have any particular cat treats that your cat really likes?

Try having your girlfriend give catnip or cat treats to your cat. Maybe your can can be made to associate your girlfriend with such treats. I wouldn't expect immediate results, but maybe over time, if your girlfriend becomes the primary source of treats for the cat, that cat will come to accept the girlfriend.

Or maybe not. At thirteen years your cat may be pretty solidly set in her ways.

If only I could figure out some way to similarly get my cranky-old-lady Siamese to associate her new younger and annoyingly-playful brother with some similarly positive reward.

I have a cat but I have a dog that I like better. Cats stay away from him for some reason, He likes other dogs but they don't come around much. I let him run loose outside and he would rather be outside than in the house. Actually he's a transgender dog. Before I cut off his tail and painted him yellow he was an alligator. He doesn't seem to eat much dog food. I don't think he likes it.

We've been together for a while.

This cat doesn't really like ANYONE who isn't me. Family members, neighbors, contractors, the cleaning lady. She hides and hisses if anyone finds her. The only difference is that the girlfriend is here frequently. So hiding for days at a time isn't an option.

You're a guy, you're not supposed to have a cat.

Why not? I personally like Dogs, but I work up to 60 hours a week between my main job and my side business, so I don't have time to be fair to a dog. Just as well, my lady friend is terrified of dogs. (When she was a little girl, a dog attacked her.)

Here's an idea. Does your cat like catnip? Do you have any particular cat treats that your cat really likes?

Try having your girlfriend give catnip or cat treats to your cat. Maybe your can can be made to associate your girlfriend with such treats. I wouldn't expect immediate results, but maybe over time, if your girlfriend becomes the primary source of treats for the cat, that cat will come to accept the girlfriend.

We are already trying that... and again, the cat is kind of warming up to her, but kind of not. She isn't hiding the whole time she is here, but she is still standoffish.

Could your cat be reacting to the cat smells your girlfriend has?
Possibly.

Uh, actually, this cat doesn't like other cats. When I adopted her 12 years ago (after the previous cat I had for 16 years passed) they had her in a cage at the shelter while all the other cats were allowed to play in a common area. So I kind of felt sorry for her. I quickly realized why they had this cat in a cage. On the way home, she nearly chewed her way out of the cardboard carrier. I would say it took about a month for us to adjust to each other, and then only because she realized I dispense the food.

I suppose that could be a roll of the dice, with roughly equal chances of making things better, or making things worse. A 13-year-old cat is old enough to be pretty set in its ways.

My wife and I have a 12½-year-old Siamese, named Allie, who has been with us since she was about a year old.

View attachment 802973

Allie has been an only-cat for a nearly all of her life, and she very much prefers it that we. She loves me, she loves my wife, but is mostly afraid of anyone else, and runs and hides when we have visitors. She reacts with considerable hostility to any other cat or dog.

About a year ago, a cat that had been a stray around my apartment complex for several years, suddenly decided that he's our cat. A few months ago, we made it official, getting him chipped and registered to us. We've named him Buddy. His age has been estimated by at least two different vets, as being around six or seven years old. However, I also have some accounts that have Buddy having been kicked out of his previous home, as far back as possibly 2015, which would be eight years ago, so he might be a bit older than the vets thought he was.

View attachment 802975

Buddy wants to be friends with Allie. He tries to play with her, to interact with her, in the manner that you usually see of younger cats playing with one another. Allie wants none of it. She reacts with great hostility, hissing, growling, sometimes even screaming as if she's being tortured. This has been going on for a year, now. I'd have hoped that by this time, Allie would have become more accustomed to Buddy, and/or that Buddy might have learned to not be quite so insistent on interacting with Allie. So far, it hasn't happened yet.

Allie very much like sher personal space. The problem is that Buddy also very much likes Allie's personal space.
I had a Siamese that turned mean at around that age, I figured something was amiss so took it to the vet and it had cat cancer.....I had it put down.

I had a Siamese that turned mean at around that age, I figured something was amiss so took it to the vet and it had cat cancer.....I had it put down.

Allie has never liked other cats. She's always been hostile, if she had to deal with other cats.

It's just that until last year, when Buddy claimed us, Allie rarely had to deal with other cats. She's been an only-cat nearly all of her life, and very much prefers it that way.

And Buddy's insistence on trying to interact with her doesn't help. You know how kittens interact with each other, chasing and pouncing at each other in a playful manner? Buddy tries to interact that way with Allie, which always draws a very hostile response from Allie.

Forum List

Back