So What Do You Think Is A Fair And Decent Wage?...

I have a question to ask the OP or anyone else.

What price do you think it's worth to take out of your pocket and pay someone to do a job for you?

Would you pay someone 15.00 an hour to rack leaves in your yard?

Racking leaves is probably worth $30 an hour! First, you have to build the rack, and that's no mean feat.

:eusa_hand:

I did my yard twice this past weekend. Once on Saturday morning and on Sunday afternoon. I have a 20,000 sq ft + yard.. I bet you pay someone that much to do that :eusa_whistle:

Oh, I assumed you actually meant racked when you typed racked. Apparently, you meant raked.

Substituting raking for sex, are ya?

Racking leaves is probably worth $30 an hour! First, you have to build the rack, and that's no mean feat.

I did my yard twice this past weekend. Once on Saturday morning and on Sunday afternoon. I have a 20,000 sq ft + yard.. I bet you pay someone that much to do that :eusa_whistle:

Oh, I assumed you actually meant racked when you typed racked. Apparently, you meant raked.

Maybe you should change your moniker to BHB
Butt Hurt Boppie I'm sure you would pay someone 30 an hour . :eusa_whistle:

And points made go zoooooooooooooom, right over another liberal's head. I'm getting so many examples of that happening, I think I'm gonna write my own book about it.

But just to set the record straight, employers are people too.

But in a thriving economy, the employee is empowered to be able to sell his labor to the highest bidder and it will be a sellers market. And the employer will pay what he has to pay to get the best people who will generate the maximum profit for his business. However, if the employee demands more than the employer can pay and still make a decent profit, then both lose out. Because the employee won't work and the employer won't do business at all. In a free market thriving economy the relationship between employee an employer can be a mutually satisfactory contractual agreement.

Once the government starts short circuiting that process, everybody other than an elite few will lose.

Yeah, Zeke, holy crap, you completely missed the point. You automatically equate "the people" with "the federal bureaucracy". That's not what he was saying. Wasn't the phrase "aspire to earn" a clue?

It's up the individual to create their value in a job market. Education, certification, skill set, experience, achievement.

Then it's up to that specific employer to decide what, based on the above, that person is worth to that specific company. The employer then pays accordingly. If that pay is not enough for the employee, the employee is free to offer his/her services to other employers who make the same determination. Perhaps it will turn out that his/her skill set is worth more to another employer, perhaps not. But if that employee can't find a buyer for their services who is willing to pay more than their current employer, it's up to that employee to face the fact that they're not worth more than they're being paid, that it's likely they had an inflated view of their value.

I saw posts above in which Noomi is saying that some employers don't pay employees "what they're worth". How the hell would she know? This is the type of simplistic thought that many employees have, those who have never run a business. Who is to determine an employee's worth to a company? The employer, of course. They are, in effect, purchasing the services of that employee. If it's not enough for the employee, they can test their value on the job market. Simple as that. But her naive view is the view of many employees who know nothing about running a business.

This is terribly fundamental stuff here.

You clearly have a very government-centric of business, that's automatically where your mind goes, and your government-centric interpretation of what Foxfyre said is a perfect example. It didn't even occur to you that he was talking about the individual's freedom to improve their own lives, you went right to the government. This isn't about the freaking government. The government has nothing to do with an employee's value, that's between the particular employee and the particular business. That's it. Anything beyond that is artificial market manipulation and distortion.

Yes, the wage the employee receives is just part of the equation. In addition to the money the employee sees in his paycheck, the employer also has direct labor costs for:

FICA
SUTA
FUTA
Work Comp premiums based on the employee's wages
Often liability insurance premiums based on the employees wages
Any bonding or E&O costs
Any inadvertent wastage due to error
Training expense if the employee has to learn on the job
Extra expense for non productive but paid vacation, holidays, sick leave
Whatever other benefits the employer voluntarily provides
And now if there are 50 or more employees, mandatory healthcare coverage.

In addition the employer is providing infrastructure, office space, transportation, equipment, tools, disposable supplies, cost of marketing, assuming the liability exposure, taking the depreciation--all the costs of doing business.

The employee's labor has to produce sufficient revenues to cover all the expense incurred because he/she is employed, plus whatever wages are paid plus a decent profit for the employer who is taking all the capital risks to run the business. Or there is simply no practical reason to hire the employee.

The more profit the employee makes for his employer, the more valuable his labor will be. The employee who produces very little or no profit for his employer is not going to be worth anywhere nearly as much money in wages. And that is what determines a 'fair and decent' wage.

Doesn't matter.

Business owners are rich, mean, evil and greedy.

And they didn't build that.

Yeah, Zeke, holy crap, you completely missed the point. You automatically equate "the people" with "the federal bureaucracy". That's not what he was saying. Wasn't the phrase "aspire to earn" a clue?

It's up the individual to create their value in a job market. Education, certification, skill set, experience, achievement.

Then it's up to that specific employer to decide what, based on the above, that person is worth to that specific company. The employer then pays accordingly. If that pay is not enough for the employee, the employee is free to offer his/her services to other employers who make the same determination. Perhaps it will turn out that his/her skill set is worth more to another employer, perhaps not. But if that employee can't find a buyer for their services who is willing to pay more than their current employer, it's up to that employee to face the fact that they're not worth more than they're being paid, that it's likely they had an inflated view of their value.

I saw posts above in which Noomi is saying that some employers don't pay employees "what they're worth". How the hell would she know? This is the type of simplistic thought that many employees have, those who have never run a business. Who is to determine an employee's worth to a company? The employer, of course. They are, in effect, purchasing the services of that employee. If it's not enough for the employee, they can test their value on the job market. Simple as that. But her naive view is the view of many employees who know nothing about running a business.

This is terribly fundamental stuff here.

You clearly have a very government-centric of business, that's automatically where your mind goes, and your government-centric interpretation of what Foxfyre said is a perfect example. It didn't even occur to you that he was talking about the individual's freedom to improve their own lives, you went right to the government. This isn't about the freaking government. The government has nothing to do with an employee's value, that's between the particular employee and the particular business. That's it. Anything beyond that is artificial market manipulation and distortion.

Yes, the wage the employee receives is just part of the equation. In addition to the money the employee sees in his paycheck, the employer also has direct labor costs for:

FICA
SUTA
FUTA
Work Comp premiums based on the employee's wages
Often liability insurance premiums based on the employees wages
Any bonding or E&O costs
Any inadvertent wastage due to error
Training expense if the employee has to learn on the job
Extra expense for non productive but paid vacation, holidays, sick leave
Whatever other benefits the employer voluntarily provides
And now if there are 50 or more employees, mandatory healthcare coverage.

In addition the employer is providing infrastructure, office space, transportation, equipment, tools, disposable supplies, cost of marketing, assuming the liability exposure, taking the depreciation--all the costs of doing business.

The employee's labor has to produce sufficient revenues to cover all the expense incurred because he/she is employed, plus whatever wages are paid plus a decent profit for the employer who is taking all the capital risks to run the business. Or there is simply no practical reason to hire the employee.

The more profit the employee makes for his employer, the more valuable his labor will be. The employee who produces very little or no profit for his employer is not going to be worth anywhere nearly as much money in wages. And that is what determines a 'fair and decent' wage.

Doesn't matter.

Business owners are rich, mean, evil and greedy.

And they didn't build that.

Nope. They provided the reason for it, and paid the taxes that made it possible, and voted the bonds that allowed it to happen, but they didn't build it--that was purely the wonderful, generous, government without which nothing else would exist.

What price do you think it's worth to take out of your pocket and pay someone to do a job for you?

Funny you ask that. I've offered bums begging money on the street corner $10/hr to come help clean out my barn and sheds. Plus a hot meal. To date, I've had no takers. I've also offered the same to a friend's (unemployed) teen-aged son. No takers, ever. You'd think I'd shit in their Wheaties, offering that kind of money...to shovel manure. To think that cropping tobacco for $5/hr was BIG money for kids when I was growing up...

Editing? That's all you have to offer? You know you've "lost" when you can do no better than criticize the other guy's writing skills.

Maybe you should change your moniker to BHB
Butt Hurt Boppie I'm sure you would pay someone 30 an hour . :eusa_whistle:

Of course she would. But first, she'd walk next door and demand $20 from her neighbor...tho help "beautify" the neighborhood.

I do have a clue. I know that some employees refuse to pay their employees what they are really worth.

I thought about what you said ... And tried to make sure that I wasn't guilty in any way.

I must confess ... I do not pay my best employee what he is worth ... No questions asked.
I should stipulate though ... That if I was asked what he is worth ... It only takes me a second to say that in my humble opinion he is ... "worth his weight in gold".
But face it ... Although he makes my job a hell of a lot easier and less stressful than it used to be ... He is still an Administrative Assistant, and I cannot afford to pay him $3.744 million a year.

I am also pretty sure the Progressive Liberals would be having a cow and screaming about wealth inequity if I did.

Funny you ask that. I've offered bums begging money on the street corner $10/hr to come help clean out my barn and sheds. Plus a hot meal. To date, I've had no takers. I've also offered the same to a friend's (unemployed) teen-aged son. No takers, ever. You'd think I'd shit in their Wheaties, offering that kind of money...to shovel manure. To think that cropping tobacco for $5/hr was BIG money for kids when I was growing up...

This is answering Bigrebnc more than GW, because I'm too lazy to hunt up Bigreb's original post. :)

But in answer, to rake leaves on a regular basis, no I wouldn't pay somebody $15/hr because it would be worth it to me to rake them myself on my own schedule. But I would cheerfully pay a kid $5 or $10 or even $15 to rake the leaves if I needed the yard cleaned up in a hurry for some reason. It would be up to the kid to determine his hourly wage according to how quickly he got the leaves raked to my satisfaction. :)

Which is why I have looked for and taken jobs that paid strictly on commission or earned income running my own business for the last couple of decades or so. That gave me a lot of control over my "hourly wage" and, because of my skill set and work ethic, that was a very good hourly wage indeed. I recommend it for those who have the temperament to earn their living that way, but I quickly acknowledge that not everybody has that temperament. Which is a good thing or there wouldn't be any people to employ.

Five dollars an hour? I also worked in the tobacco fields as early as age 7 I got 100.00 for a whole summer worth of work and loved every minute of it.

That was how many decades ago?

Five dollars an hour? I also worked in the tobacco fields as early as age 7 I got 100.00 for a whole summer worth of work and loved every minute of it.

Ahhaa the dignity of hard work for low pay.

So you offered to make two of the most unmotivated people (bums and teenage boys) a low wage, hard job and were surprised that they didn't want to work? Why? Mostly it depends on who you ask to work for low pay.

I have recently hired an older, ex con, ex druggie rehabbed guy for clean up work, and he works his ass off for 8 bucks and lunch. He is motivated. Because an ex con can't find a job of any sort.

And a roofer I know has hired from Home Depot and got good work for low pay. The Central American worker is known in the construction field for providing good work with good effort for low pay. That's cause 8 bucks American money in Mexico is a good wage.
They (Mexicans) will do a roofing job for a price a white crew won't want to work for. If you can find a white roofing crew. And do a better job than a cheap white crew will do.

Yes, more bang for your buck from your low paid worker if you are more picky about who you hire.

Mexicans and ex druggie cons are who I recommend. Stay away from bums and teen aged boys. Too unreliable.

So you offered to make two of the most unmotivated people (bums and teenage boys) a low wage, hard job and were surprised that they didn't want to work? Why? Mostly it depends on who you ask to work for low pay.

I have recently hired an older, ex con, ex druggie rehabbed guy for clean up work, and he works his ass off for 8 bucks and lunch. He is motivated. Because an ex con can't find a job of any sort.

And a roofer I know has hired from Home Depot and got good work for low pay. The Central American worker is known in the construction field for providing good work with good effort for low pay. That's cause 8 bucks American money in Mexico is a good wage.
They (Mexicans) will do a roofing job for a price a white crew won't want to work for. If you can find a white roofing crew. And do a better job than a cheap white crew will do.

Yes, more bang for your buck from your low paid worker if you are more picky about who you hire.

Mexicans and ex druggie cons are who I recommend. Stay away from bums and teen aged boys. Too unreliable.

What? are you Jrunk? I never said I offered anyone anything.All I said was I worked from age 7 up during the summer in tobacco fields for 100.00 during the summer.

There is a flip side to the hard work-low wage coin as well.

My first job in high school was working as a draftsman for a civil engineer (took a high school class on drafting).
We got out at 2:15 and I worked from 3:00-7:00 weeknights and 8 hours on Saturday.

I made more money a week than my mother did as a full-time librarian at a private school.

I have been in construction and we were underbid by Mexican crews, because we paid people what they were worth as did most of the companies I worked around. We were consistently not getting work because of these companies. Not sure if the Mexican companies followed the laws or not but we couldn't match the low labor bids.

What does the guy do for $8 bucks an hour, can't be much.

Last edited:
Yea there is a flip side. I am hiring grown men with families and obligations. You were a kid. I've been working since I was 12. See the difference? The lowest wage job is about the best these kind of folks will get. That's my point.

BTW. It was GWarrior doing the job offering to bums and teen age boys.

I have been in construction and we were underbid by Mexican crews, because we paid people what they were worth as did most of the companies I worked around. We were consistently not getting work because of these companies. Not sure if the Mexican companies followed the laws or not but we couldn't match the low labor bids.

What does the guy do for $8 bucks an hour, can't be much.

8 bucks plus a litte an hour cash. Pay 75 dollars for 7.5 hours, buy lunch, provide transportation, all so the guy could pick up construction debris and feed it to a fire or throw it into a dumpster.

This is a basically unemployable man. Ex con, former druggie, tatted out the ass, no great skills, so forth an so on.

Hypocritical I am (seeing as how I argue higher minimum wage laws) says BDboop. I would have to agree. Somewhat. But the dude that gets the 75 dollars a day that can't find ANY other work. That guy. He still likes me. Wants me to call when I need him.

I paid a guy 150 dollars a day for a one layer tear off of a roof. That's about 18.00 dollars an hour for hard labor on an roof.

I paid an electrician 200 dollars for 6.5 hours of work. That's pretty good money.

I know these number can't be verified. But TRUST ME!!!! Ima telling the truth and the whole truth. I am not a hypocrite. Just CHEAP. And a believer that you get what you pay for. Ex cons for 8 bucks. Electricians for 30.

Can I still keep the rep BD?

BTW, When you get paid cash, add 30% to the gross wage amount to find the equivalent in wages that would have to be paid including tax. For example, you would need over 11 dollars an hour gross to net 8 dollars. There is a big cash economy out there.

I think $10 an hour is probably the minimum wage anyone can live on, although it would still be difficult in a one-income family. Keep in mind that if fast food restaurants pay higher wages, it gets passed on to the consumers. More people will stop eating at those establishments, which seem to charge too much for their food already.

It's between the employer and the employee.

I have a guy who started with me about 5 years ago making $8.00/ hour. He now makes over $100K per year. Why? He is valuable to me. He is cheerful, reliable, and worth every penny.

We only cropped 'backy from just before sunrise until about nine in the morning, when it got too hot to work. First part of the season, we topped the plants. After that, we harvested the leaves from the bottom up. I think other places, they cut the whole plant all at once. The leaves were loaded onto wagons, taken to the shed where they were bundled and tied, then they were hung in the barns to be dried. Later, they were taken down and made into bales, which went to market. $5/hr was top pay for the boys who did the heaviest work.

Forum List

Back