So, what does this health crisis say about us?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
How have Americans reacted to the Coronavirus crisis?

On one hand, there certainly have been MANY "random acts of kindness", with neighbors helping their neighbors and the elderly here and there. We've seen health care workers tirelessly put their lives on the line to help treat and comfort those afflicted with this horrible virus.

On the other hand, we've seen Americans stockpiling toilet paper and paper towels and tissue and Clorox and any number of other household items with zero (0) regard for their fellow man. We've also seen no letup in the tribal finger-pointing and blaming of the "other" party by politicians, partisans, politicos and pundits as people are suffering and dying. Obviously, this crisis isn't enough to stop that, or even slow it down.

Do what do you think? Are you proud of how this country is reacting to this crisis? What does it say about us as a society?

You can look at it as one or the other or just as a mix of rational and irrational.

Is it irrational to panic buy stuff? Sure...but what do you do if you are down to your last roll of toilet paper, have not been able to buy any for a week and then come across a store that has 8 packs? Do you want to repeat the cycle or buy 8 packs? I can't blame anyone for buying 8 packs. The stocking up on canned goods and bottled water has me a bit perplexed I do have to say because that conjures up a hurricane scenario where a supply line is cut; not just interrupted.

As far as pride in our actions; not too concerned. If the topic dujour on our message board had been Taste Great v. Less Filling you'd get the same moronic commentary that you get if it is life or death which is what this is; life or death.

What does it say about American society? It says that we are a reactionary people. It would be very good to have a stable genius or even a stable idiot in the White House coordinating the response. We just have an unhinged idiot who is contradicted by the medical professionals, has botched the response in ways that I wouldn't have thought possible, and who is quite obviously not a leader.

On one hand, there certainly have been MANY "random acts of kindness", with neighbors helping their neighbors and the elderly here and there. We've seen health care workers tirelessly put their lives on the line to help treat and comfort those afflicted with this horrible virus.

On the other hand, we've seen Americans stockpiling toilet paper and paper towels and tissue and Clorox and any number of other household items with zero (0) regard for their fellow man. We've also seen no letup in the tribal finger-pointing and blaming of the "other" party by politicians, partisans, politicos and pundits as people are suffering and dying. Obviously, this crisis isn't enough to stop that, or even slow it down.

Do what do you think? Are you proud of how this country is reacting to this crisis? What does it say about us as a society?
As long as you have a middle finger I guess you dont absolutely NEED toilet paper

but I myself still prefer using it

Although the platitudists blather it onward endlessly, this is indeed an inflection point of historical import that will be written of in the future looking backward. Did the people whom the government was to be of, by and for band together to wrest it back from a predatory economic and political system that had concentrated capital to such an extent that they were in essence colonized once again and unable to govern and protect their own families, security, property and livelihoods. Or did they continue to submit, vote and await the aristocracy's benevolence still.

As long as you have a middle finger I guess you dont absolutely NEED toilet paper

Not familiar with the technique, don't care to know.

Not familiar with the technique, don't care to know.
Ask sheryl crow, aka Brownfinger

1584945583462.jpeg

It says what I've always said. The majority of americans are mindless drones easily manipulated by the media, and often times incapable of independent thought, or self reliance...

I becomes obvious now what I have been trying to say. Politics is downstream of culture.

You are finger pointing and blaming Trump, so don't pretend you're above any of this

I think overall it says a lot of good about Americans, in that we pull together.

Some of us are hard headed and follow our own guidance, but that spirit is what began this nation and what draws so many immigrants to our shores as well. Darwin will sort out the worst from the more adaptive of us.

But given how innately rebellious Americans are, I am surprised so many are following government guidelines to self quarantine.

Human behaviour doesn't change so we see the good and bad in equal measure. So on the one hand we see people stealing sanitiser from Hospitals and on the other hand my Mam received an emergency food parcel from a local community group that heard she was isolating.

It had a puzzle book in it which made me feel quite humble.

You are finger pointing and blaming Trump, so don't pretend you're above any of this
Another great example. Some literally can't help themselves at this point.

Human behaviour doesn't change so we see the good and bad in equal measure. So on the one hand we see people stealing sanitiser from Hospitals and on the other hand my Mam received an emergency food parcel from a local community group that heard she was isolating.

I think we're a mixed bag at best.

No doubt we can all do better, though.

You do these things and then give lecturing sermons pretending that you don't. Trump this, Trump that, Trump the other...and then come the lectures. Gonna deny this?

You do these things and then give lecturing sermons pretending that you don't. Trump this, Trump that, Trump the other...and then come the lectures. Gonna deny this?
Gawd.

Maybe you could just address the thread. Others are.

Not sure what the bad parts of the bag are, but among adults it is a good record for us so far.

And we can always do better at whatever we do, especially in team sports and national policy.

Gawd.

Maybe you could just address the thread. Others are.

That is in the thread. A direct quote: "We've also seen no letup in the tribal finger-pointing and blaming of the "other" party by politicians, partisans, politicos and pundits as people are suffering and dying."

So what Mac? You've been doing this yourself, here.

Undoubtedly. I saw the original Dunkirk film last week. And set against the bravery of the small boat owners was the self interest of some who were working ou t the best angle for themselves. Some folk would whine if the second coming made them late for a dinner date. It will never change.

Undoubtedly. I saw the original Dunkirk film last week. And set against the bravery of the small boat owners was the self interest of some who were working ou t the best angle for themselves. Some folk would whine if the second coming made them late for a dinner date. It will never change.
Human nature does tend to win out, ultimately. For better or worse.

I do think we have regressed in some ways, though.

Forum List

Back