So, what REALLY happened to Detroit?

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Any piece that begins with don't blame Coleman A Young has a problem. Sorry I lived it He drove whites and business out of the friken city

The same actions that brought Detroit to bankruptcy is bringing the whole nation to the same end. By basically the same kind of people.

Coleman Young "Austere"

It's like saying Obama's reduced government spending

Coleman Young was a bitter man. He was a Tuskegee Airman during WWII and experienced a lot of racism, but when he came to power here, he thought he could make Detroit into Model black run city... It did work out. Whites fled the city in droves, of course it's not all Coleman young's fault, but the played a big part in the decline of the city.

Last edited:
Any piece that begins with don't blame Coleman A Young has a problem. Sorry I lived it He drove whites and business out of the friken city

True, and if you're comfortable blaming everything on him then you won't be alone.

Shame you couldn't get past the headline, but I'm sure you're not the only one. It is, after all, a lot easier to stick to what you think you know that to research it and find out if there's more to it.

Coleman Young "Austere"

It's like saying Obama's reduced government spending

Coleman Young was a bitter man. He was a Tuskegee Airman during WWII and experienced a lot of racism, but when he came to power here, he thought he could make Detroit into Model black run city... It did work out. Whites fled the city in droves, of course it's not all Coleman young's fault, but the played a big part in the decline of the city.

Oh, my bad. You appeared to be ignoring everything else because the headline said it wasn't all his fault. Apologies.

What happened to Detroit happened to Cuba and to China and to every other place that adopted progressive economics of class envy and hate: it failed

There's a fascinating analysis of Detroit's collapse into bankruptcy in today's Free Press.

It's a long, very detailed and holistic look at the last 60 years. It points fingers in many directions, some more than others.

For those interested in reviewing some of the fact and figures it makes very interesting and compelling reading.

How Detroit went broke: The answers may surprise you — and don't blame Coleman Young | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Detroit's an interesting city....it's bankrupt, but yet there's area's that seem to be doing pretty good. I live in Michigan, about 2 hrs from Detroit. My son was home on leave and my husband and I went with him and his wife to the Lions/Vikings game 2 weekends ago (I'd never been to a big game!). We found parking about 5 blocks from Ford Field, the walk was nice and the buildings were all clean and lots of people around (of course going to the game!). When we were leaving, we went by this building:

caroljo-albums-misc-picture6019-628x471.jpg

many like it........:(

It's so hard to witness this awesome and magnificent city go down.
I really rocked there. It is / was the rock n roll capitol of the universe.

This city gave us some of the best.

What happened to Detroit happened to Cuba and to China and to every other place that adopted progressive economics of class envy and hate: it failed

The glory days. I've seen them and partied hardy.

Dems own this. My heart also really breaks because they are tearing down some of the most awesome architecture for a dollar.

Last edited:
Unions and negroes is the answer to the OP. High taxes were the result, and most of the taxpayers left.

There is a book written several years ago titled Devil's Night that examines the decline of Detroit. It did indeed start with Coleman Young who ran Detroit as a separatist black state demonizing both the whites in the suburbs and middle class blacks as Uncle Toms.

Coleman Young told whites to get on the other side of Eight Mile and to take their businesses with them...so they did. Then Coleman Young was shocked that when whites left, the tax base went with them. What, did he think the white who were driven out of the city were just going to keep writing tax checks to Detroit for the hell of it?

There were a lot of other factors that were involved with Detroit becoming a third world shithole, but at least part of it can be laid directly at Coleman Young's feet.

Last edited:

True, and if you're comfortable blaming everything on him then you won't be alone.

Shame you couldn't get past the headline, but I'm sure you're not the only one. It is, after all, a lot easier to stick to what you think you know that to research it and find out if there's more to it.

The title was not accurate. Sure there was much more to the decline of Detroit than Coleman Young, but he contributed to and hastened that decline, to say otherwise is pure fallacy.

Being in the hands on Demofarts for the last 50 years doesnt matter because its all the GOP fault.

Forum List

Back