Social Conservatives to RNC: Don’t Be ‘Pandering Idiots’

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
The Republican National Committee’s support of Senator Rob Portman’s flip on gay marriage has infuriated social conservatives.

Though they don’t doubt that RNC chairman Reince Priebus is on their side, some say his vocal praise on Monday of Portman’s new stance could alienate values voters.

“I think [the RNC] should pretty much ignore him,” says Phyllis Schlafly, a longtime conservative activist, in an interview with National Review Online. “I think he has made a mistake, and he probably won’t get reelected.”

Ralph Reed, the founder of the Faith and Freedom Coalition, says the party has to be careful. “If the Republican party tries to retreat from being a pro-marriage, pro-family party, the big tent is going to become a pup tent very fast,” he says. “I am concerned that some in the party are going wobbly on this issue.”

A source familiar with Ohioans’ response to Portman’s decision tells NRO that 60 percent of the calls the office received were against Portman’s shift and 40 percent of calls received were in support.

Schlafly, for her part, isn’t impressed. “Portman was one of their stars when he won, and he was supposed to be so very smart,” she says, “and I find it hard to believe the stupidity of his statement.”

Social Conservatives to RNC: Don?t Be ?Pandering Idiots? - By Betsy Woodruff - The Corner - National Review Online

stop reading this biased article after, Portmans flip on gay marriage infuriated social conservatives

and I happen to agree with not pandering, why become Democrats

It's pretty trick for the GOP these days. Romney called everyone who didn't pay income taxes "entitled victims" and the evangelicals didn't turn out en masse to vote for him.

Bush doubled tax code expenditures to large families, and now the budget hawks call him a liberal.

It's pretty much damned if ya do, damned if ya don't for their aspiring candidates these days :eusa_silenced:

The Republican National Committee’s support of Senator Rob Portman’s flip on gay marriage has infuriated social conservatives.

Though they don’t doubt that RNC chairman Reince Priebus is on their side, some say his vocal praise on Monday of Portman’s new stance could alienate values voters.

“I think [the RNC] should pretty much ignore him,” says Phyllis Schlafly, a longtime conservative activist, in an interview with National Review Online. “I think he has made a mistake, and he probably won’t get reelected.”

Ralph Reed, the founder of the Faith and Freedom Coalition, says the party has to be careful. “If the Republican party tries to retreat from being a pro-marriage, pro-family party, the big tent is going to become a pup tent very fast,” he says. “I am concerned that some in the party are going wobbly on this issue.”

A source familiar with Ohioans’ response to Portman’s decision tells NRO that 60 percent of the calls the office received were against Portman’s shift and 40 percent of calls received were in support.

Schlafly, for her part, isn’t impressed. “Portman was one of their stars when he won, and he was supposed to be so very smart,” she says, “and I find it hard to believe the stupidity of his statement.”

Social Conservatives to RNC: Don?t Be ?Pandering Idiots? - By Betsy Woodruff - The Corner - National Review Online

Wow. A bigoted hater changes his mind and the rest of the bigoted haters hate him for it.

The more prevalent the religion of self becomes in America the more social conservatives, like myself, will have to give. Sodom and Gomorrah, the Roman Empire --- be damned!!!

It's just another lesson our world will learn the hard way!

Debauchery will eventually destroy us too...

The more prevalent the religion of self becomes in America the more social conservatives, like myself, will have to give. Sodom and Gomorrah, the Roman Empire --- be damned!!!

It's just another lesson our world will learn the hard way!

Debauchery will eventually destroy us too...

Ayn Rand isn't THAT popular :doubt:

7199051526_0cd8cf52b9_z.jpg

Hahaha!! Oh wait... that wasn't a joke??

I thought comparing the rights movement with the destruction of America --- was, at least... IRONIC!!!

Which are you calling a rights movement, and which is the destruction of America? It's hard to tell with you bigots anymore.

Yeah, I'm a bigot because I don't believe in gay marriage... lol

It's a much bigger fight for you than me though. My prayers are the same whether it's legal or not... think about that one for a minute or two...

Forum List

Back