Software for Knowledge Practice

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
This is a long-shot, but I should ask.

I'm looking for a purchasable computer software that I can install onto my laptop. This kind of software would allow me to, as a system on my laptop, create my own college-like exams for the purpose of practicing my knowledge. It would allow me to create multiple-choice questions, true and false, mix and match, etc questions. I'm not looking for a free download: I want something that is quality, that you pay for.

In the past, I bought a similar system called EPractize Labs Software. It was Test Generator Software, Standard Edition. Multiple Choice Test Maker Quiz Maker - Test Generator Lab Standard Edition

It did work rather well, but the system crashed.

What I'm trying to find are buyable systems like this where I can create and generate my own tests, that provide me randomized questions that I made, so I can keep my knowledge and my edge sharp and current.

Been looking online, and I don't really know where to look. If there was a retail store that carried a product like this I'd be very interested. Another problem with EPractize Labs was that it kept freezing on me when I created a test past 60 questions, when I was told by them that I could create 100+ question tests and not have a problem. They also promised randomized questions, but the string in which the questions were given to me, though I selected 'randomize' were always the same. That made it so my mind already knew which questions to expect first and last, which give me an unfair edge.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about, and can maybe point me in the right direction?

Call your local university or community college. I know a high school teacher that gets first year college for just about gas money to get there.
They change tests yearly so its always new and fresh. Or you can just buy from a teachers supply site as well. But she swears by the university method.

I'd like to create my own, tailor-made questions, though.

On the way to getting transferred back into nursing school, I have to start by taking Advanced Anatomy & Physiology this Fall, September 7th.

I bought my class and books two months in advance, but am now trying to figure out exactly how to go about not just studying the knowledge ahead of time, but really applying it through self-examination practice.

Since the first EPractize software crashed, I tried taking my AA&P Studyguide, putting the open pages on the scanner of my printer, creating copies of my questions page-by-page, and then taking that stack of pages to the copier room of my employer and creating duplicates for recurrent practice.

It's feasible, but requires a lot of time and constant handling of papers. Going the paper route, or going the computer software route... they both have their pros and cons. The questions I scan and copy onto paper, and those I create on Microsoft Office Works can't crash... but it's a lot of time making and organizing and grading all of it. If I go electronic, the EPractize system automatically grades it and stores in its memory exactly which questions I got wrong so that I can work on those knowledge weaknesses. But, if the system crashes or you lose your laptop or anything else like that happens, you're sorely out of luck.

If I go electronic, I'll be saving a lot of time. Just have to worry then about not destroying my laptop [ironically, I bought a refurbished EliteBook 8440p Intel Core 5 today because my other laptop's charge port had finally broke apart beyond repair].

I'm looking for a purchasable computer software that I can install onto my laptop. This kind of software would allow me to, as a system on my laptop, create my own college-like exams for the purpose of practicing my knowledge. It would allow me to create multiple-choice questions, true and false, mix and match, etc questions. I'm not looking for a free download: I want something that is quality, that you pay for.

In the past, I bought a similar system called EPractize Labs Software. It was Test Generator Software, Standard Edition. Multiple Choice Test Maker Quiz Maker - Test Generator Lab Standard Edition

What I'm trying to find are buyable systems like this where I can create and generate my own tests, that provide me randomized questions that I made, so I can keep my knowledge and my edge sharp and current.

Been looking online, and I don't really know where to look. If there was a retail store that carried a product like this I'd be very interested. Another problem with EPractize Labs was that it kept freezing on me when I created a test past 60 questions, when I was told by them that I could create 100+ question tests and not have a problem. They also promised randomized questions, but the string in which the questions were given to me, though I selected 'randomize' were always the same. That made it so my mind already knew which questions to expect first and last, which give me an unfair edge.

Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about, and can maybe point me in the right direction?
Many years ago, when I first started working with computers, there were several colleges that offered software that you could download that was very close to the exams given in college. It might be a good idea to research colleges that teach in your field, and see what they have to offer through online study and testing. I downloaded several CAD programs, complete with exam type question testing. I believe it was CAD 14. So, yes, colleges do offer downloads of testing and study software. Some may be free, and some may cost you.

I'd like to create my own, tailor-made questions, though.

On the way to getting transferred back into nursing school, I have to start by taking Advanced Anatomy & Physiology this Fall, September 7th.

I bought my class and books two months in advance, but am now trying to figure out exactly how to go about not just studying the knowledge ahead of time, but really applying it through self-examination practice.

Since the first EPractize software crashed, I tried taking my AA&P Studyguide, putting the open pages on the scanner of my printer, creating copies of my questions page-by-page, and then taking that stack of pages to the copier room of my employer and creating duplicates for recurrent practice.

It's feasible, but requires a lot of time and constant handling of papers. Going the paper route, or going the computer software route... they both have their pros and cons. The questions I scan and copy onto paper, and those I create on Microsoft Office Works can't crash... but it's a lot of time making and organizing and grading all of it. If I go electronic, the EPractize system automatically grades it and stores in its memory exactly which questions I got wrong so that I can work on those knowledge weaknesses. But, if the system crashes or you lose your laptop or anything else like that happens, you're sorely out of luck.

If I go electronic, I'll be saving a lot of time. Just have to worry then about not destroying my laptop [ironically, I bought a refurbished EliteBook 8440p Intel Core 5 today because my other laptop's charge port had finally broke apart beyond repair].
Going for a BSN are you? I was an RPT {27 years} I will email some other nurses. I remember sitting up all night putting drugs on 3X5 cards and bothering just about anybody to "drill" me on them.

Test generators are available on line aren't they? Check teacher's stores.

Ha!

I am a nursing student, and this time I'm planning to do very well.

What I want to do with this system is create very specialized questions revolving around EVERYTHING nursing, including the pre-reqs like chemistry, psychology, microbiology, and, of course, A&P.

Want to make Mix and Match lists where I take twenty-something drugs and compare them in two columns, and have it force me to match which brand name with which generic name. Synthroid? Oh, that's levothyroxine! Ativan? That's Lorazepam!

You and Sonny both mentioned looking into colleges and seeing if they can provide or sell me the same kind of software they use on their students. That's a brilliant idea, and I'm going to pay a visit to the college I'm going to and see if they can offer me anything like that, too. If I have to then call various colleges and see what's possible, I'll do that, too.

Not just going for my BSN, which will be a must once Magna hits, but my Masters in the future as well. I also have the same kind of pharmacology cards, which I bought at Barnes and Nobles, but I don't feel they can adequately challenge as taking a 100+ question test(s) that I made myself. I want to really test myself with pinpoint knowledge, like what exactly is the half-life of Guaufenisen, or what's the normal range of manganese? I'm dedicated, and have been working not only as a CNA in preparation for nursing school, but also picked up a 2nd job at the hospital as a pharmacy technician specifically to immerse myself more in the pharmacological aspect of nursing, because that shit is difficult to get through, especially if you're going in with no experience or knowledge of it.

Searching on Google Shopping for 'teacher store test generator software.'

Found Pro Tools 11, but that's making music. Tbh I'm very interested in this teacher supply store stuff.

Is there a good online teacher supply store that may have something like what I'm looking for?

Ha!

I am a nursing student, and this time I'm planning to do very well.

What I want to do with this system is create very specialized questions revolving around EVERYTHING nursing, including the pre-reqs like chemistry, psychology, microbiology, and, of course, A&P.

Want to make Mix and Match lists where I take twenty-something drugs and compare them in two columns, and have it force me to match which brand name with which generic name. Synthroid? Oh, that's levothyroxine! Ativan? That's Lorazepam!

You and Sonny both mentioned looking into colleges and seeing if they can provide or sell me the same kind of software they use on their students. That's a brilliant idea, and I'm going to pay a visit to the college I'm going to and see if they can offer me anything like that, too. If I have to then call various colleges and see what's possible, I'll do that, too.

Not just going for my BSN, which will be a must once Magna hits, but my Masters in the future as well. I also have the same kind of pharmacology cards, which I bought at Barnes and Nobles, but I don't feel they can adequately challenge as taking a 100+ question test(s) that I made myself. I want to really test myself with pinpoint knowledge, like what exactly is the half-life of Guaufenisen, or what's the normal range of manganese? I'm dedicated, and have been working not only as a CNA in preparation for nursing school, but also picked up a 2nd job at the hospital as a pharmacy technician specifically to immerse myself more in the pharmacological aspect of nursing, because that shit is difficult to get through, especially if you're going in with no experience or knowledge of it.
I take levothyroxine for post throat cancer radiation damage to my Thyroid. Stuff was invented as a diet pill but killed a lot of people.

It seems to me that my grandson has an app that they use for their honors and AP classes. I think it may be something that you may be interested in. I thought he said it quizzed you on the material entered. Not sure what he used it for, but it was really exciting to him

He bought it from an app store. I called him but he isn't home. I will check later to see what it is.

Found Pro Tools 11, but that's making music. Tbh I'm very interested in this teacher supply store stuff.

Is there a good online teacher supply store that may have something like what I'm looking for?
You are really taxing my brain here. Haven't been teaching in 10 years. Will see what I come up with.

Got it! It's called Quiglet. You can download it and it's free! This is what it does: flashcards, generates tests and produces matching games. He loves it!

My plan is to extract almost every bit of testable, pertinent information in my AA&P book, while taking everything out of the study guide. All the questions.

Then I want to keep practicing days ahead of time with that method. Depending on what classes I'll be taking first after Fall term, I'll buy those books and classes months ahead, and start the extraction and testing process well in advance. The goal is to also retain the information, so every week, or every other day or so, I'll keep testing those same tests even if they're a year old. Understanding is useless if you don't retain it. I want to be able to recall these things instantly, and for me I can only do that through practice, practice, practice.

I can't just read through the pages of a study book and remember it all. One of the nurses I work with has a photographic memory, and brags about her prowess. Silently, in my head, I ask her where she'd be if she didn't have that kind of memory. If I keep practicing, all those details should eventually stick on my memory.

Got it! It's called Quiglet. You can download it and it's free! This is what it does: flashcards, generates tests and produces matching games. He loves it!

I don't have a smartphone, but I do have a good laptop.

If it's possible to utilize on a laptop, I'll nab it.

Going to look at it now. Thank you. :)

Scratch that. I googled it and it is Quizlet.

Forum List

Back